• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Tik Tok - WTF?

taxi1

pilot
My understanding is that the internet was born from ARPANET and the Defense Communication Agency’s inability to control early access (this is back in the late 1970’s). Thus led to the creation of MILNET and the privatization of the “internet” around 1995.
For sure the internet bridged off from defense-related tech, but once born it's been off to the races.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought that too, until I was targeted and fell for a ID theft scam myself a few years ago. It's not just old folks, and techniques change and adapt with the technology. There were aspects of their attack that I did not have the knowledge to recognize, and they caught me when I was working and distracted, so I was even less apt to catch the red flags (which I admit were blindingly obvious in hindsight).

Having said that, the cyber awareness challenge is stupid- it's the same stuff, year after year, and falling further behind. Even calling it the "cyber awareness challenge" makes it sound like we're in the 1990s when people were just becoming aware that the internet is a thing.
This might make a good dedicated thread on personal security. I read this article in the WSJ today and I thought about getting a bank safety deposit box to store this 28 digit Apple ID security code. Then again, banks are getting rid of safety deposit boxes and they are harder and harder to find.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This might make a good dedicated thread on personal security. I read this article in the WSJ today and I thought about getting a bank safety deposit box to store this 28 digit Apple ID security code. Then again, banks are getting rid of safety deposit boxes and they are harder and harder to find.

Paywall. Also, I wouldn't trust a bank with something like that- invariably, you won't be able to access it if you ever need to.

Random8145

Anyone know what happened to MasterBates? Says he was last seen back in 2013 (which I realize was a decade ago but doesn't seem that long).