• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread of hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkolker

I could also title this "Thread of irritation" or "Thread of dispair"..

Anyway, my story. I started communicating with my recruiter a couple months ago. I was very upfront with him by stating that I got off to a very bad start in college. I went to one school for about 4 years before being hired (without a degree) by my current employer. At that time, I had around a 2.5 gpa. I make no excuses. I didn't party or anything...I simply skipped 80+ % of my classes and would usually either get an A or an F depending on the professor's policy on attendence. I was young and stupid...

Moving on. After being employed for a few years, I transferred to another school (due to location) and maintained a decent (3.4-3.5) gpa (taking 15 credit hours while working full time) to end up with an overall gpa in the 2.7 - 2.8 range. I told my recruiter this.

I then went on to grad school (MBA) and current have near a 3.5; taking 15-18 credit hours per semester while working full time and taking several technical courses in the evening.

Well, I kept getting the "don't worry...they look at the total package" speech. My recuiter got my transcripts from my undergrad and is now telling me that I have no shot. He hasn't returned my phone calls yet but it's only been a day so maybe he's just busy.

Anyway, I feel that beyond my bad start at college, I have a damn good app. I have several years of solid work experience with increasing responsibility; I have great LORs; I have community involvement with leadership experience. I realize that GPAs and test scores are an easy way to judge someone without really examing them; however, I bought into the "whole package" speech. As someone that hires people, I have always looked beyond academic performance.

I guess the point of this thread is to ask if I have any chances left? I am 28 1/2 and want the SWO (regular or nuke) path. What are my options?

I have read, whether hear or on other sites, of people recently getting selected for OCS with overall gpas lower then mine so I thought I had a fighting chance.

BTW, my major was computer science with math and philosophy minors. My recruiter has yet to tell me my ASTB scores so I can't state them.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I've heard people getting in with lower GPAs than yours as well. I'm not sure about SWO, but I think that you might need something significantly higher for nuke. My boyfriend had a 3.1 as an undergraduate and then 3.5 as a graduate. But that is just one case. Everything that I hear leads me to believe that they are looking at the overall package. Have you tried asking your recruiter if he is willing to set up interviews within the Navy for you? Who are you getting your LORs from? Have you written a personal statement that explains why your GPA is low and what you have done to prove yourself in other areas? I would wait until your ASTB scores come in before despairing too much. Talk to your recruiter more and see what he/she thinks can be done to enhance your application.

BTW, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know you need to be commissioned for SWO before your 29th b'day. Depending on when you get to OCS and graduate this could be cutting it close for you. Have you considered any of the other paths?

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Radha

PS: I sent you a pm.

mkolker

Thank you Sirenia.

There is an age limit but, when my recruiter seemed interested in me, I was told I would likely get a waiver.

I was working on my statement with my recruiter. What I don't understand is his change of attitude.

Thank you!

jburnes

maybe you finally showed your recruiter that you're serious about getting in. I talk to my recruiter all the time and the thing that he gets pissed about is people not doing things on time and being lazy. Every time I got a piece of paperwork I dropped everyting and filled it out and sent it back.

I think a lot of people go about writing these personal statements the wrong way by trying to think of what someone else expects the statement to say. You need to think about what gets you excited about the navy and about being in the SWO or Nuke field. This could possibly be the rest of your life and having your recruiter guide your words is the wrong way to do it.

the only question i have is, you got an MBA and want to be a nuke? what was your undergrad degree in? it might not be too easy to get waivers for any classes you made C's in...the bar is set pretty high right now...plus you know the cut off is a commissioning age of 29.5 and that's with a waiver...the real cut off is 26.5....that's for NUPOC anyway....

the only way to get in is if this is the only thing you want in life...i think it takes that kind of attitude to prove to people that you're serious and you're not going away

mkolker

jburnes... thank you. I started on my MBA due to encouragement from my current employer. While the material was interesting and much of it can be applied to any managerial/leadership position, it's not what I want. My undergrad was comp sci with minors in math and philosophy.

I want to join the Navy. My preference is for the SWO program; nuke or no nuke. My recruiter was pushing the nuke but more so on the sub side. Well, flying would be cool but I'm far past the age limit and no waivers available...

Anyway, I was upfront about my grades. I don't like being misled. However, I realize that he may also be testing me to determine my resolve.

I am serious about joining. For the first time in my life, I wake up knowing what I want out of life beyond personal interests (e.g. spending time with my wife).

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Just to throw in, I had about a 2.4 or 2.5 when I got accepted into OCS. The rest of my package was really strong though. Also, don't give up if this is something you want. I know a guy who was comission in February, not a prior, and he was 31. And it took me 6 years of all sorts of crap to get accepted.....you just have to be persistant if you relaly want it. Don't give up on your dreams.

EngineGirl

mkolker

Another question... is it common for an officer recruiter to be enlisted instead of an officer?

zuggerat

mkolker said:
Another question... is it common for an officer recruiter to be enlisted instead of an officer?

i think a lot of us on here either had Chiefs or Master Chiefs so it's pretty common.

mkolker

EngineGirl.. what program did you get into? when? what do you feel made the rest of your package strong?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
mkolker said:
I want to join the Navy. My preference is for the SWO program; nuke or no nuke. My recruiter was pushing the nuke but more so on the sub side. Well, flying would be cool but I'm far past the age limit and no waivers available...

The reason your recruiter was pushing sub, is because they always need people, as SWO nuke fills up alot faster than sub ever will, and SWO is the default designator for (physically qualifed) NROTC and USNA midshipmen.

Do you want SWO because you'll be on the surface, see the sun everyday, and not in a tin can? If that's the case, I would avoid SWO nuke. I hear alot of people say they want SWO nuke because they'll be on a carrier, yada yada, well, here's the thing about being on a carrier: Unless you're an aviator or work up in the tower, you'll probably see the light of day about as much as you would on a sub. The reactor is a few decks down, and you have no business on the flight deck except during FOD walkdown, which let's face it, I only see a handful of ship's company guys up there anyway.

I'm not trying to sell one thing or another, but you'll read the phrase "needs of the navy" alot on this board, and there's always a need at sub.

mkolker

Thisguy... thank you for your input. I am not completely opposed to being on a sub...I just have a preference for having more chances to get a breath of fresh air, have a bit more room to stretch my legs, etc. The higher degrees of work ethic, team work and comaraderie on a sub are appealing.

If I go sub but realize it is not for me after my first tour...what are my chances of switching?

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
mkolker said:
EngineGirl.. what program did you get into? when? what do you feel made the rest of your package strong?

I got picked up for SWO-EDO (my first choice) in what my recruiter called workforce (I don't get paid like BDCP or anything, I just get sworn in and I am guarenteed an OCS spot). What made the rest of my package strong was that I had about 11 or so recomendations (ranging from employers to my first grade teacher to current engineering professors to retired Officers and Chiefs, etc.). I also submitted all my quals I had been signed off on from when I was working on ships. I also included my evaluations from chief engineers I had worked under, awards I had recieved, and other qualifications I had (advanced marine firefighting, lifeboatman, etc.). I also wrote a strong personal statement. So basically, I had a really big package, showing them I really wanted to be in the Navy. Good luck and ask if any other questions.

EngineGirl

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know about switching after your first sea tour, but your JO shore tour has several attractive jobs such as ROTC instructor.

However, I noticed some guys with sub dolphins on our carrier, so I'm not sure if they switched, or if that's a sub billet. Anyone who has info on this, feel free to jump in.

Again, I hear you on the breath of fresh air part, and again, being on a carrier isn't the place to get it ;) so try for reg SWO.

speedgirl

mkolker:
My recruiter told me just a couple weeks ago that SWO was closed, therefore I couldn't pick that as one of my choices. Maybe that's one of the reasons your recruiter stated that. Even so, keep trying to submit your entire package to the selection board and be sure to work on writing a good motivational statement. Be sure to explain why an MBA may be an asset versus the typical preferred disciplines. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.