• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thoughts Hugo Chavez

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chavez has remained in power primarily due to three factors: high price of oil has allowed him to spread money around - necessary for a populista - and keep the military happy; lack of a viable alternative leader for an opposition to coalesce around; and using the Yanquis as a scapegoat for everything.

If anything, #1 will do him in. The Venezuelan upper classes and the military were willing to put up with his populist nonsense as long as he kept things running smoothly. The lower classes loved him because he spread money around. With oil prices collapsing, that's a lot less money for projects at home and shiny new Sukhois.

#3 is obviously a pretty popular choice with thugs worldwide right now, but seeing as Chavez has consciously done everything he can to ape Fidel, he probably realized long ago how much the Cubans were willing to put up with as long as the specter of the US was held over their heads.

Chavez has also made a habit of pissing off some of his wealthier and better-armed neighbors (especially Brazil and Argentina) lately. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that Chavez will push things too far with one or both of them.

That being said - "Thugs Worldwide" would be a good band name.

gotta_fly

pilot
I really don't see the point of anyone boycotting CITGO... you're really only hurting Joe, not Chavez.

I was just having this discussion yesterday, I'm not worried about hurting 'Joe' as long as he willingly does business with Citgo. There are plenty of gas providers out there. If anything, 'Joe' is hurting the other stations in the area by offering cheaper gas, since his is subsidized by a foreign economy. I enjoy driving by empty Citgo stations that are advertising fuel cheaper than the station across the street, loaded with customers.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chavez has also made a habit of pissing off some of his wealthier and better-armed neighbors (especially Brazil and Argentina) lately. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that Chavez will push things too far with one or both of them.

Argentina? Elaborate please, I'm curious, considering the IMF bond buyout Chavez and Kirchner negotiated a few years back.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of the oil infrastructure that Chavez nationalized a few years ago was owned by Brazilian and Argentine oil conglomerates. So essentially he stole several million dollars' worth of equipment from highly wealthy and influential companies; companies that are pretty well ensnarled with those governments, to boot. If gangster movies have tought us anything, it's that stealing from rich people is bad...they didn't get rich and influential by being nice.

exhelodrvr

pilot
If the price of oil stays low, Chavez will be in significant trouble economically. Unfortunately, that probably increases the likelihood of him "starting something."

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
If the price of oil stays low, Chavez will be in significant trouble economically. Unfortunately, that probably increases the likelihood of him "starting something."

What's old football head going to do?? Invade Trinidad??

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He's been doing some of that lately, giving FARC units safe haven and so on - and this right as the Colombian gov't finally has the paramilitaries on the ropes.

Hugo is aching to pick a fight with someone. Distract the populace with a nice little war with someone. A border incursion by Colombian military pursuing FARC across the border seems to be just what he's trying for.

Mark my words: this idiot is going to start some serious trouble soon.

exhelodrvr

pilot
He's been doing some of that lately, giving FARC units safe haven and so on - and this right as the Colombian gov't finally has the paramilitaries on the ropes.

Hugo is aching to pick a fight with someone. Distract the populace with a nice little war with someone. A border incursion by Colombian military pursuing FARC across the border seems to be just what he's trying for.

Mark my words: this idiot is going to start some serious trouble soon.

I'm afraid you're right. And we can't allow a significant action against Colombia; I guess the question will be what the definition of significant is.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Why not? Because of drugs or because we are buddy buddy with them?

Because they are an ally - and if you don't assist allies you lose credibility and encourage further actions, and because we don't want that nation's government to fall. Drugs are important from the perspective of the funding they provide FARC.

kimphil

Are you sure?

The one in Millington was tired of getting passed by because it was a Citgo, so they took the signs down and put up blue NEX signs but didn't change the gas contract.

Nothing like the federal government spending tax dollars to help trick military members into buying gas that helps fund a national enemy (or whatever you would call them).

Oil is a fungible asset. To some extent, so is gasoline. You can't hurt Hugo Chavez by boycotting his oil or gasoline. You buy it from somewhere else and someone else just fills the demand void that you left. If you want to hurt Mr Chavez, stop buying gasoline. Lowering aggregate demand for oil hurts all the bad guys whose economies rely on the price of oil (e.g. Venezuela, Iran, Russia).