• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Those young fucking Marines

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Not a long story.

Port visit in the USVI, me and my buddy were drunk and slowly stumbling in the general direction we thought the liberty boats were. A young Marine instantly recognized me from having to memorize my picture and stood outside the bar being entertained by our lack of coordination or coherent movement. He spotted a group of 4 locals waiting in the shadows for us to stumble into a darker, less public area to roll us. The Marine started shouting "Security Alert" and Marines seemed to materialize from everywhere. He pointed to me and a group of Marines instantly surround my buddy and I in a protective barrier. He pointed to the locals and another group charged them so they ran away. .

If that was the TR call in 90 I recall that port call. I also recall we were one of the last calls in St Thomas for a bit because of all the local on sailor (and I'm sure some vice-versa) violence. Trinidad was a better one but the diving wasn't as good as USVI.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
If that was the TR call in 90 I recall that port call. I also recall we were one of the last calls in St Thomas for a bit because of all the local on sailor (and I'm sure some vice-versa) violence. Trinidad was a better one but the diving wasn't as good as USVI.

Ah yes I do as well - that was my last 'det' on the ol' TR.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And if it wasn't the Marines watching over me, it was the Weps Dept. AOs (I was also the Asst. Weps Officer). AOs are another group that are very loyal to and protective of their officers - who except for me were all AO LDOs.

Amen, as G DivO/Asst. Weps/then Weps DH on MIDWAY for 2 deployments, I can attest to that. In addition, AOs were generally the most physically fit and muscular Sailors in the crew. From the Weps Dept. AOs handling heavy weapons from magazines to buildup & transport to the flight deck...to Squadron AOs hanging them on aircraft (often by hand when time was critical); every 14-16 hour day at sea was a true physical workout!:(
AO1.jpg
Da' Bee seldom went into 'Po City on libs without a pair of my beloved AOs in company. A couple of dozen San Magoo 'painted labels' was a great bargain for the good company (& physical security) afforded!:D

From my observations, I would also put the Air Boss's ABs in the same loyalty/physical fitness category (despite all the times they 'mouthed' soundless Eff-Us at me, and tried to taxi me into the bounding main)!...:eek:
BzB

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ah yes I do as well - that was my last 'det' on the ol' TR.
This was in May 1992.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Amen, as G DivO/Asst. Weps/then Weps DH on MIDWAY for 2 deployments, I can attest to that. In addition, AOs were generally the most physically fit and muscular Sailors in the crew. From the Weps Dept. AOs handling heavy weapons from magazines to buildup & transport to the flight deck...to Squadron AOs hanging them on aircraft (often by hand [AND FREQUENTLY ASSISTED BY THEIR DIVISION OFFICER...;) ] when time was critical); every 14-16 hour day at sea was a true physical workout!:(
View attachment 11216

Da' Bee seldom went into 'Po City on libs without a pair of my beloved AOs in company. A couple of dozen San Magoo 'painted labels' was a great bargain for the good company (& physical security) afforded!:D

From my observations, I would also put the Air Boss's ABs in the same loyalty/physical fitness category (despite all the times they 'mouthed' soundless Eff-Us at me, and tried to taxi me into the bounding main)!...:eek:
BzB

Hugh ...I had to FIFY!! :) IYAOYAS!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hugh ...I had to FIFY!! :) IYAOYAS!

Yeah, I hear ya... when I was Ordie Handler, my DH threatened to keep me in hack all next 'in port', if I didn't stop driving a forklift during gigantic every three-day ordnance UNREPs. That threat vanished after a week of him getting a royal chewing by the ship's CO, for not striking the ordnance below fast enough. Sometimes it took ALL hands to execute a critical task on time!;)
BzB