• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This may be a dumb question, BUT....

RaginCajun

Are there any paths in the USNR that a Non-prior service person could receive jump school training? Just curious and hadn't been able to sniff out an answer on my own.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
You from ULL, Ragin Cajun? I'm in school there myself. I know that there is no set path but airborne school has students from many differnt services attend. I would think that it boils down to getting a CO to sign off on it, having an admin guy get you a slot by calling the school (register in MCTIMS/ATRRS ), and then having a pot of money that pays for you to go if that part is required. Call Ft. Benning, there is a POC on this page http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/airborne/AirborneAdmin.htm
this page is for the USMC/Navy detachment at Ft. Benning
http://www.benning.army.mil/mcoe/USMC/course_airborne.htm
You have to be able to pass the Army PFT standard minimums, Orders have to be fully funded, and reservations for your attendance.

The army sends all MOSs and all back grounds to Airborne school, they use it often as a recruiting tool, someone just has to be willing to pay for it.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Interesting.

Yes, I went to ULL, work for LCG now...hoping the Navy selects me in september

Best of luck!

If you need to get a handle on the ATRRS stuff, drop by a guard unit and talk to one of their guys. Most of the NCOs there are responsible for scheduling schools and know how to do things on that portal. That way you can walk over to your USNR unit and give them the low down on what you need done. If no access is available at your unit maybe your CO can write a memo asking the guard guys to schedule it for you, pending that the USN repays for the course. Wouldn't seem hard to do. Why the interest in jump school?

RaginCajun

Best of luck!

If you need to get a handle on the ATRRS stuff, drop by a guard unit and talk to one of their guys. Most of the NCOs there are responsible for scheduling schools and know how to do things on that portal. That way you can walk over to your USNR unit and give them the low down on what you need done. If no access is available at your unit maybe your CO can write a memo asking the guard guys to schedule it for you, pending that the USN repays for the course. Wouldn't seem hard to do. Why the interest in jump school?

Seems like it would be fun? I'm not sure why else really.

Devil Duck

Having worked at Fortress Benning for nine years now I have seen the difficulty of getting a jump school slot increase, almost yearly. You must have orders and a seat in ATRRS before arriving. Odds are your reserve unit will not authorize orders, unless required by mission. Hint: if you're applying for DCO your mission will not require you to be jump qualified.

Every reserve intel weenie I know has dreams of going to jump school. If you're #1 priority is to earn a bunch of scare badges you're going about it the wrong way applying for a USNR commission. You should look at the Guard. The Guard has plenty of great opportunities for training, including Airbone, Air Assault, Jump Master, Pathfinder, et cetera. You really need to figure out what you want out of your part time obligation. I can tell you first hand that as an officer in the USNR you'll be pushing digits & paper, not kicking in doors or jumping from airplanes. Just the way it is.

RaginCajun

Having worked at Fortress Benning for nine years now I have seen the difficulty of getting a jump school slot increase, almost yearly. You must have orders and a seat in ATRRS before arriving. Odds are your reserve unit will not authorize orders, unless required by mission. Hint: if you're applying for DCO your mission will not require you to be jump qualified.

Every reserve intel weenie I know has dreams of going to jump school. If you're #1 priority is to earn a bunch of scare badges you're going about it the wrong way applying for a USNR commission. You should look at the Guard. The Guard has plenty of great opportunities for training, including Airbone, Air Assault, Jump Master, Pathfinder, et cetera. You really need to figure out what you want out of your part time obligation. I can tell you first hand that as an officer in the USNR you'll be pushing digits & paper, not kicking in doors or jumping from airplanes. Just the way it is.

Yeah, I'm a number cruncher for the gov already, it is what i expect (and want) out of the USNR. I was just trying to figure out if this type of thing was available, figuring that it wasn't because I'll pretty much be another number cruncher.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I can tell you first hand that as an officer in the USNR you'll be pushing digits & paper, not kicking in doors or jumping from airplanes. Just the way it is.

Careful with your broad brush. I had more green ink as a SELRES (4 recalls to AD) than I did AD (one combat deployment). As a DIRCOM you're likely right but SELRES USNR are doing their part out there.

Devil Duck

Pugs, I'm currently on my second set of orders in the CENTCOM AOR since comissioning ~2 years ago. Can assure you that the average DIRCOM is most definitely not kicking in doors, jumping from aircraft, etc.

If I wanted to personally kill folks I'd have stayed in the Infantry. I am definitely playing my role.

RaginCajun

Don't worry, I have no allusions of kicking in doors or any of that stuff, it was a curiousity. If I wanted to kick in doors, I'd have continued my application with the USMC. However, jump school would be fun and I was curious if there was a way to get that, but realistically, I was thinking not possible.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Don't worry, I have no allusions of kicking in doors or any of that stuff, it was a curiousity. If I wanted to kick in doors, I'd have continued my application with the USMC. However, jump school would be fun and I was curious if there was a way to get that, but realistically, I was thinking not possible.

You don't need to kick in doors at all to do jump school. The army maintains two entire DIVISIONS that are airborne and trust me the majority of those personnel are NOT in fact infantry. The 18th airborne corp hasn't kicked in a door in a long time if I had to guess and they are all jump school qualified. I'd say that the majority of most airborne troops are in fact not combat arms soldiers at all.

Devil Duck

Sapper, the Army has six Airborne BCTs (1-4/82, 4/25, 173), and that number will likely decrease.

Don't know how this discussion continues. If Cajun's desire is to go to jump school look at the ground combat forces, rather than the Navy reserve.

DIRCOM folks going to jump school ir kicking in doors are definitely the exception.

tsnoah

Army JAG has a limited number of slots for its reservists to go to jump school. When you go to your officer basic course, they usually dangle 5-10 slots in front of the class as an incentive to max out your PT.