• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This is sad: Republic Airlines will begin operating ERJ-190's for Midwest

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NOTHING is perfect in this world ... NOTHING is 'for sure' .... let's hope it is in the 'next world' .....

Some of you guys are stupid ... you are dupes.

Some of you guys have managed to adapt and persevere ... and those of you who fit this profile, I love. :)

You are my brothers ...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A quick google search will turn up many pilot / aviation forums where any airline wanna-be can quickly learn what it is really like in the industry. Any high school junior / 17 year old that can't do simple google searches and get to these sites is lacking in either imitative or mental capacity. Plus once they are even a couple of months into their freshman year at the pilot mill and before they are hooked for all the big dollars, I can't believe they would not have found these sites by then if they have half a brain.

Maak85 - so your friends take then job at the regional. Now that they are there, it's time to join the fight. If they are scared of fight, then they deserve what they get and they can stay where they are. I sure don't want they to drag that fear and lack of desire to my airline.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
HAL Pilot said:
Maak85 - so your friends take then job at the regional. Now that they are there, it's time to join the fight. If they are scared of fight, then they deserve what they get and they can stay where they are. I sure don't want they to drag that fear and lack of desire to my airline.

I agree, and fortunately some of them are taking up the fight.

Airline pilot forums are definately a big help in realizing the big picture. I remember being told in school not to listen to what is on the forums because it is just a bunch of disgruntled old guys with nothing better to do. Funny, I heard a recruiter say that about Airwarriors too, but it has been the most honest and helpful tool in applying to OCS. I can see how a young dumb 17 year old doesn't know who to really believe. I only wanted to believe the good parts, the truth just slaps you in the face after a while.

bluto

The "regional" (how is it regional flying from DFW to EWR?, etc) airlines are a plague on the aviation industry. They are nothing but a C scale flying routes that used to be flown by the majors. I don't see how we can stop the shiny jet syndrome from continuing to fill their ranks, but mainline needs to hold fast on scope protections to minimize their growth. And we need to slam the door on cabotage now while we still can!

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
You evidence a SCAB mentality.

Negative rep me all you want. This is a strong statement about a kid who is in the Navy flight program, not some dude bitching about his pay. Maybe he made a mis-informed comment, but shitting on his character for that post was wrong.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You evidence a SCAB mentality.

Negative rep me all you want. This is a strong statement about a kid who is in the Navy flight program, not some dude bitching about his pay. Maybe he made a mis-informed comment, but shitting on his character for that post was wrong.
Well ... first of all, Navy NFO ... you don't know jack-shit about the airline-piloting PROFESSION or what it entails ... so, I'd suggest that you STFU about those subjects that you don't know about and stick to those that you do ... assuming you know something about some subjects ... ???

You want to 'fight' about things you know nothing about ... bring it.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Certainly didn't mean to pick a fight and I don't know anything about the airline profession. Of course, I didn't mention anything suggesting I did. I was respectfully disagreeing with your choice of words about a future NA.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Certainly didn't mean to pick a fight and I don't know anything about the airline profession. Of course, I didn't mention anything suggesting I did. I was respectfully disagreeing with your choice of words about a future NA.
You weren't doing ANYTHING "respectfully" ... if you think you were, then you're stupid.

Stupid??? That's one thing I'm not ... in spite of what my former wife thinks ...

Don't press the issue ... just a suggestion. Just walk away ... because I care ...

Cheers ... :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have always found it ironic that former Navy and AF pilots – who generally are considered to be mostly conservative and anti-union, within short order become the staunchest union leaders at their respective airlines.

There must be reasons for such extraordinary yet common flip-flops. And there indeed is.
Ask those who know.

For the novice, ignorance is no excuse. Anyone who invests so much time and money – while getting jerked around - in learning the FARs and building outrageously expensive time should also invest some free, yes free time in learning about the exploitations of pilots. The books Flying the Line and FTL II are cheap. But asking the experienced pilot - especially the former military aviator who has transitioned, and who truly knows is free.

Over decades, I have denied all scabs from my jumpseats, asked some to leave my house or presence, refused to be at the same mutual friends' parties, kicked them off my boat, etc. I never went beyond that, but many have, some exceedingly, with reason. And I can sympathize. A scab is a traitor to his fellow aviator, regardless of his plethora of excuses.

In the military, you are a unit. You cover the guy next to you. As a POW, you never seek privileges at the exclusion of your fellow POW. But unfortunately, you will find many backstabbing sleazy people in the airline business that would sell their soul to advance ... at the expense of their fellow pilot.

Real or feigned ignorance, even for novitiates is no excuse!

jodaaddy

I don't understand why there is so much criticism toward these guys; wages are determined by supply and demand. Obviously there are a great number of pilots and just not that many available jobs. The only people that would bash these guys for "working for nothing" are those who want to prop up their own wages at the expense of other people. And besides, where is the evidence that regional carriers are unsafe?

bluto

jodaady, you obvioiusly do not work in this industry. Regionals not only drive down the wages of everyone, they dilute the quality of talent entering this industry. Right now, I wouldn't even consider leaving the military for the airlines, even Fedex, SWA, Delta, UPS. The regionals aren't even an option. And no matter how much you love flying, who in their right mind takes out over $100K in loans to enter this industry as a civilian. I thought of doing that in the 90's, when the majors still made major money, even went as far as getting accepted to ERAU, but did my research and came to my senses. So who is left to actually fly? Those individuals who do not value themselves or their time enough to work for poverty. Or those with almost no common sense. Is that really the talent you want flying when the sh!t hits the fan with you and your family onboard? It is after all an airplane, not a bus, although I think bus drivers might earn more.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I don't understand why there is so much criticism toward these guys; wages are determined by supply and demand. Obviously there are a great number of pilots and just not that many available jobs. The only people that would bash these guys for "working for nothing" are those who want to prop up their own wages at the expense of other people. And besides, where is the evidence that regional carriers are unsafe?

use google, it helps

I turned up this gem in a couple seconds

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/airlines/article1001648.ece

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... The only people that would bash these guys for "working for nothing" are those who want to prop up their own wages at the expense of other people....
Are you sure you're on the right thread ... ??? This is about the airlines, airline pilots, and their pay/qualifications. It's on the 'Commercial Aviation' forum of the website. It's not about left-wing politics, social agendas, and 'keeping the little guy down' ... your quote (above) is an absolutely ridiculous statement. There's nothing wrong w/ asking questions, as we all gotta' start somewhere ... but why are the most outrageous statements made by the people who know the least about the subject at hand .... ???

Oh, wait ... I get it. :)

Truth be told, the guys 'at the top' WANT THE GUYS AT THE BOTTOM TO MAKE MORE $$$$ ... you know?? Ahhhh -- that's right; you don't understand ... mebbe this will help: "the rising tide syndrome = i.e., 'a rising tide raises all boats"?? Ever heard it ??? Make sense ???

Airline pilots are in it together ... when one part of the profession suffers, it affects the rest of us. We DON'T WANT OUR MEMBERS LIVING OFF FOOD STAMPS AND SUBSISTENCE WAGES. Nor do we want them bringing a commensurate low level of experience and judgment to the job -- again, it affects us all ... and not in a positive sense.

You obviously lack knowledge and/or experience @ the airline piloting profession and/or its history derived over the past 70+ years ... I'd suggest re-reading HAL's posts on the subject on this thread. I'd suggest some reading/study of the question as Catmando suggested prior to making future pronouncements on the subject and thus, revealing your extreme lack of knowledge re: the airline piloting profession. That's right; it's a 'profession'. Bet you didn't know that ... did you?? :)

People who are 'working for nothing' are the guys who mow my lawn ... certainly not the guys who doctor me, dentist me, do my taxes, advise me on finances, represent me in legal matters, and most certainly -- not those who pilot my airplanes. Licensed professionals, all .... right???

Or do you know somethin' I don't ... ???

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You're at Kanehoe as a P-3 pilot. When you're time is up, don't apply at Hawaiian - apply at Go instead. Most of their pilots have your same attitude. Which explains why they are a bottom-feeder airline that even the locals without any flying knowledge shun.