• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking of DORing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staceydemick

@Pags mentioned their first fun flight was their solo, and I'd echo that. Being beat up in early contacts because you suck, sucks. It gets better. Way better. Can't speak too much on the airsickness bit, just that for most people it does get better. If you haven't yet, before you DOR, TALK TO YOUR CLASS ADVISOR!

I will say that if you DOR your chances of getting anything like IP are about zero. If you med attrite, or airsickness attrite, and sometimes if you normal attrite, you often have a wide spectrum of options. Highly recommend you continue, keep trying, at the very least complete primary before making a decision like this. There are a lot of people that aviation isn't for, but I bet there are more that regret dropping too early. I don't know a single winged aviator that wishes they had DOR'd when things got tough in training.
I only got IP because I got a baby from my husband during my first squadron tour. I’m told the IP who really made the choice was an O3 IP (F14 Tomcat Pilot who has sent a bird into the drink) He took me out of the POCR board pile after I timed out. I’m sure you can lateral if you gut it out and prove in your fitreps that you took your one and only chance and dared to be great!

I want to thank everyone for their advice, I have a lot to think about.

I think my worry comes from talking to a bunch of my friends that say yeah flight school is hard but at least flying is awesome and a ton of fun. Meanwhile I'm thinking yeah flight school is hard, but I don't really think flying is awesome and a ton of fun. I'm not really struggling or anything like that.

At the very least, I'm going to stick it through for a while longer in Primary and see how things shake up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think my worry comes from talking to a bunch of my friends that say yeah flight school is hard but at least flying is awesome and a ton of fun. Meanwhile I'm thinking yeah flight school is hard, but I don't really think flying is awesome and a ton of fun. I'm not really struggling or anything like that.

I had an onwing that didn't enjoy Primary. He was very motion sensitive, struggled to keep up with the plane at times (but not always), and just generally didn't enjoy the experience (he told me so). He had a sub-35 NSS, which was a trigger for a board before completing, at the time. He had a great attitude and I always enjoyed flying with him all the way through Intermediates. He was allowed to progress to HTs from Primary.

In the HTs, he said he loved flying helicopters. He ended up winging #1 in his class and got his first choice (skids at Camp Pen).

Flying may not be for you, but I'd hold off making that call until you get past Primary, as many others here have said.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

At the very least, I'm going to stick it through for a while longer in Primary and see how things shake up.
Don't. Quit.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'd still overall say that there are very few people who truly love "flying". I love my job, wouldn't go back in time and do the techie thing if I could (was my original plan)

"fly like an eagle"....?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Don't let go of your passion - stay up to speed on the tech world to enable a smoother transition later in the game.

Find solace in your friends and peer group.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Keep with it. Learning to fly the navy way is a unique skill that will serve you no matter what your future holds. I hated flight school until, as others have noted, I soloed. After that my confidence soared and things became more natural. You need not make it a career, but what you learn and the skills you develop will help you for the rest of your life.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
One of things that makes primary so tough is that you're learning a new skill and constantly getting evaluated. Very rarely do you get to just "enjoy" a flight. It sounds like you're close to your solo (if you haven't already). Get to that point and see what you think and I bet your attitude might change. Talk to your IPs, too about what it's like in the fleet and some of the things they go to do in their gray birds. Primary is a stepping stone to the real deal and hearing what awaits you might help keep your eye on the prize.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'll add this: there's no harm in not enjoying flying either or finding out it's not what you expected. That happens sometimes and admittedly, it's not for everyone. A lot of people want to fly jets until they have to put on all the gear, wear a mask, and pull gs. Perceptions and beliefs change as you progress and learn more. You're young yet and have a lot of options in front of you, but like others have said, don't close this door yet. You're not committed one way or another so give this a fair shake and then make your decision from there.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I love flying, too and would argue most do, as well. The thing is, it's still a job. There are still things associated with it that suck but I can't see myself anywhere other than the aviation world.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I'd still overall say that there are very few people who truly love "flying". I love my job, wouldn't go back in time and do the techie thing if I could (was my original plan)

"fly like an eagle"....?

Strongly disagree with the “very few” who truly love flying. I feel like that’s a different universe than what I’m in.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Damn You! Goddam You! Nobody D.O.R's after eleven weeks! Nobody!

MV5BMTQwNzcxMjI3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxODI0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1494,1000_AL_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.