• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking about the Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adadas_1

I am currently in high school and i am interested in going to the Naval Academy. If anyone here has gone to the academy, could you please give some information on what I should do to improve my chances of getting in. (I have a 3.7 GPA and i am the captain of the tennis team.) Thanks.

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
My bro is applying to the naval academy. You wanna know what to do to imrove you chances. Tennis captain is a start. Then, raise your GPA to as close to 4.0 as you can get. How about run for Class president, and /or hold an office in the national honor society at your school. Let's put it this way. One of my friends had a 4.0, was tresurur of the National Honors society. President of our class, first chair trumpet player in the band, and lettered in two varsity sports. Got a recommendation letter from a senator in our state. Had perfect vision and passed the physical requirments at their summer program. His uncle had gone to the academy and is now since a retired Naval Officer. And much more. And what do you think happened? he didn't get in. Why? Because over 20,000 peopel apply each year and they can only take 10% of that.

So, try hard. Kiss ass, get recommendations, 4.0 the rest of highschool. Trying to meet the tennis coach there wouldn't be bad. Oh, and if you have already gone through your junior year, plan on taking about a year off after highschool. If you haven't started the application PROCESS (that's right, not just an application), then you will never get it done in time for graduation. Other than that, sounds easy enough doesn't it? hehe, I know I'm going to OCS. :)

-----OracleMSU--------

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
First off, apply to all the academies!! West Point, Navy, Air Farce(not misspelled), Coast Guard and Merchant Marine. Upon graduation, you can select the service that you wish to serve in. Don't narrow your chances on just one. They're all good. If you live in a densely populated state, your chances are slimmer. If you live in Montana, different story.
Religion is also a good addition to a application (alter boy). Boy scouts and or JROTC affiliation is also key.
After you send off your apps (I think before Nov before grad) start inquiring about the military prep schools. Each schools catalog should have information on it. Good luck, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Adadas_1

Thanks for the help guys. I think i'll apply to the academies and if i do get in, good. But if I don't I think i'll go through OCS upon graduation.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think if you take the same path as 95% of the military officers, you'll be in good company. There are different avenues to go to OCS so talk to a Officer Selection Officer for the latest infromation. Secondly, does anyone know if the Navy has resurrected Naval Cadets or NavCad program. This program allowed a person to go to flight school with only 2 years of college. The individual could not be married, was paid as an E-5 and was forced to live in the BOQ. Upon receiving their wings, they were comissioned as an Ensign and had 6 years to complete college (Paid for by the USN). I went to flight school with a lot of these guys. Had I known, I would have done the same thing. I was in Miramar in 92 when a buddy, who was a NAVCAD, finished the F-14 RAG. We partied like rock stars and then decided to go to town. My buddy didn't want to go out in to town because he wouldn't be able to drink because he was'nt 21 yet. Imagine. 20 years old and able to fly an F-14 but unable to go to bar. This is a great program for someone who just isn't ready to go to 4 years of college. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

I remember reading about that program. I think the Blue Angels team of two year's ago had a couple guys who went that route. My brother (F-14 plane captain 87'-90') always wanted to fly but never could get college rolling. I asked him why he didn't come home, bang out two years at the local college and apply for the Aviation Cadet program? (that's what I've heard it called) He never heard of it, so I explained it to him and I thought he was going to cry.

D

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave, The program is called the Naval Aviation Cadet Program, to be precise. When I was in AI (now API), The Corps also had the MARINE Aviation Cadet Program or MARCAD. Unfortunately, that program was cancelled while I was in AI and I don't believe it will be resurrected until time of war.
Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

Frumby...I actually talked to some Marine recruiters today. A: to try to talk my way into them letting me take the test there (my recruiters have put my re-test back till Aug. 23. NO, I can't show up on an earlier test-day and standby and NO they can't set up a time just for me) and B: asking about their pilot program. I told them up front that I was a Navy SNA non-selectee (sh*t, it even sounds like an official title) and then she didn't sound too interested. But the application is pretty much the same and I would of course have to re-test on the PRT. She said my age wasn't a problem with my prior service and that the Navy waiver for my knee is good with them. I could still test there for the sake of my Navy app. but it means BS'ing them big time...whatya think?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/02/2001 23:51:26

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave, If you would like, email the recruiters phone number and name as well as rank and I will call on your behalf. You can be ignorant but by all means do not lie. You'll find yourself on the street, quickly. Leaving tomorrow on a trip but I'll check my email when I get back. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

quote:...I will call on your behalf...

WOW Frumby, thanx a lot! I really appreciate that you would do that for me but it's no longer necessary. I called the senior OPO today and persuaded her to let me show up and stand-by but they went one better and scheduled me so now I will re-test on the 18'th. Going into a Marine OSO office and BS'ing just to test was very tempting when I was looking at a two month wait to re-test (all while fresh college graduates are snatching up the remaining slots with no guarantee of the age max for next FY) but I would never do it. Considering what Marines do worldwide with the resources at hand, and the kick-ass job they do at meeting recruiting quotas, I would feel guilty wasting five minutes of a Corps OSO's time, let alone three hours and some USMC scrap paper that could be better used keeping a CH-53 in the air. I'd have slept like a baby doing that to the Coasties, but their test goes to a different place and would do no good when the Navy review board goes looking for my latest scores. Thanx anyway Major!

ADADAS_1: Sorry for taking over your topic, get used to it, welcome to the forum and good luck at getting appointed!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/04/2001 01:46:59

Jeff29

Science Project
Dave,

It sounds like you've got things worked out with the age thing. Unfortunately for me, I may be out of luck. As you know, I have received A LOT of different guidance on the issue, but the word from the Asst. Aviation Community Manager (and he is apparently the final word) is that waivers are given up to age 31 on a month-for-month basis for service prior to age 27. Since I only had 15 months of service before age 27, then I would only be eligible to apply for 15 months after my 27th birthday (6 months ago).

This really upsets me because it's obvious that age is not the real issue, it's just another filter. I'm tempted to submit an application anyway and just make a case for myself in the section where I address any waiver issues, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Dave Shutter

Sorry to hear all of that Jeff, what was your prior service BTW? I was under the impression you went to OCS at 28 without any prior time at all.

If that guy works with the aviation community manager then he probably will be the final word, but from Chief Gus in KC I got this: "O-GRAM dated 25 July 00, OO-XVII" and it's supposed to be the memo to recruiters about the age max (without prior service) being raised to 30. I could be wrong or have mis-understood what he really meant by it but the new age max is what's keeping me in the chase for SNA having just turned 29. With my prior service on top I should be in the clear age-wise (but I'll be a 31 yr. old Nugget! Yikes!) but we'll see when I re-apply. I re-test on the 18'th, what a pain in the balls, going back to square one after all this time! Oh well, no one's fault but mine. Wish me luck and keep us posted.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/05/2001 23:48:52

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A 31 year old nugget is better then a 31 year old "wannabe" nugget any day! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.