• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking about BDCP again and have questions

Ajleger

You can do it.. But it is up to you. No, they won't pay you 2300 a month to get in shape. You have to do it your damn-self ahead of time before they would consider paying you. If you truly want it, you will do it. I mean no disrespect, but yes, before you apply, you should be able to at least weigh under the minimum for your height and be able to do at least good-medium to good-high on your prt for each part (meaning more than 30 pushups; more like 60 to 70). Honestly, if you put your mind to it, you can get the 30 up fast. It's all about how much do you want it. And gas prices are a terrible excuse for a low GPA. Your GPA is what it is, it's higher than the minimum, focus on the whole person concept, and fix what you can right now (meaning your grades from now on, and your physical fitness). If you really want nothing more than to get in, you can do it, just don't expect the Navy to be willing to pay you a ton of money to get to the point where you can be competitive. Be comptetitive on your own, and then reap the rewards.

fox2102

You can do it.. But it is up to you. No, they won't pay you 2300 a month to get in shape. You have to do it your damn-self ahead of time before they would consider paying you. If you truly want it, you will do it. I mean no disrespect, but yes, before you apply, you should be able to at least weigh under the minimum for your height and be able to do at least good-medium to good-high on your prt for each part (meaning more than 30 push ups; more like 60 to 70). Honestly, if you put your mind to it, you can get the 30 up fast. It's all about how much do you want it. And gas prices are a terrible excuse for a low GPA. Your GPA is what it is, it's higher than the minimum, focus on the whole person concept, and fix what you can right now (meaning your grades from now on, and your physical fitness). If you really want nothing more than to get in, you can do it, just don't expect the Navy to be willing to pay you a ton of money to get to the point where you can be competitive. Be competitive on your own, and then reap the rewards.
Yeah I figured I would have to be able to pass the PRT first but I read a couple places where you didn't have to. Just wanted to get that cleared up. Yeah I know the gas prices are a terrible excuse but that was a couple years ago now. We're on that quarterly year round system so it gets real easy to fall behind but my grades have come up a bit since then. The push ups and sit ups shouldn't be an issue. I know I can do that within a few months because I've been close to that point before. I'm just a little unsure of myself on the running because i've just never done it before.

Sitting here thinking about my situation and with the blunt criticism i have received it has actually drawn up an plan in my mind. There is a 24 hour gym down the road from my school that a friend of mine told me about last week. I'm going ask my boss if he can schedule me so that I have an hour a day to go work out because if I remember correctly the membership fees aren't too bad. It's a long shot but just maybe he will cut me a break and work with me. Might have to take a cut in pay but I should be ok. I'll have to ask him monday and see what we can work out.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
FYI, you don't need to be superman to get in PRT shape. I started out completely out of shape. I motivated myself, got in shape, and applied as early as I could. It's a very basic level of fitness.

Pushups, situps, and running require no gym membership. You can get a gym membership to lift weights and use the equipment when it's convenient--maybe using some of that BDCP money.

Just saying, you don't need the gym at all to get ready for a PRT.

edit: Also, it doesn't take that much time. If you're not dead tired of doing pushups and situps after half an hour in your apartment, then you're going to be fine on your PRT... 30 minutes a day of alternating running and pushups/situps would take little time, no money, and get you in shape just fine I'm guessing.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
My Time management skills are pretty poor to be honest. Today I made the best of it though. Got a good nights rest, got up, went to run errands and then went for a 2.5 mile run/walk and then went to the gym for an hour or so.
If you can fix that, you can do anything. Good luck.
Honestly I think part of my problem is that I'm just over whelmed by what I have to do physically. To get into that kind of shape seems like such an impossible task for me since I've never been in that kind of shape.
You aren't the only one who has been there. Fear of failure is terrfying here, because you feel if you aren't hitting some arbitrary, imaginary wicket right now your are doomed and can't get out. Don't think that way. The only advice I dare you give is to just look at it as one day, one run (break it down to the step, to the breathe, if you have to, just to get through it), but be sure to push every time.

Ajleger

Sitting here thinking about my situation and with the blunt criticism i have received it has actually drawn up an plan in my mind.

I just reread my post from last night, and it's a bit blunter than I had intended. But yeah, you definitely can do it, and it wont be as hard as you think. Like said above, don't think too long term, just focus on getting through the run that day, or focus on doing a few more pushups when you know you can't do anymore, on that day. You could get in really good shape with a couple of hard months worth of work, although if there is weight to lose, that will take longer.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
T
I think I'm going to make a habit of doing at least 20 to 30 push ups every morning as soon as I get out of bed. I finally bought a new scale today. I've lost 20lbs so I'm at least on the right track.

Honestly I think part of my problem is that I'm just over whelmed by what I have to do physically. To get into that kind of shape seems like such an impossible task for me since I've never been in that kind of shape

For the record... Becoming an officer isn't something I just want to do. It's something I'm going to do. I'm just trying to lay out how I'm going to do it at this point.

Sounds like your on the right track with this starting.

It's very good to do push ups as soon as you get up in the morning. I do not have the link on me handy but some USMC Major had some push up plan where he suggests doing this. So I know it is a good thing.

And I totally feel ya that things can get overwhelming.. There is something I always tell myself when I look in the mirror each day "Rome wasn't built in a day" Just keep telling yourself that and push forward. Just remember you want permanent results, not quick ones :D

Keep up the good work and GL

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
I think I'm going to make a habit of doing at least 20 to 30 push ups every morning as soon as I get out of bed.

Not to be mean, but I'm a girl and I do more push-ups than that when I wake up. ;)

Look at PT time as "you time". That's why I enjoy it so much.

Good luck!

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Not to be mean, but I'm a girl and I do more push-ups than that when I wake up. ;)

Look at PT time as "you time". That's why I enjoy it so much.

Good luck!

Thats kinda relative though depending on your weight and his...
Im a big guy 6'0, 190 So I have more weight to push up then others. Whereas you might have someone who is 5'6 and like 125 who can put pushups away.

Now on the other hand I have no problem putting away 70 or so in one session, but that came with endurance and regular training. It sounds like the OP is starting from square one.. So they'll get there. One suggestion I can offer is something a SEAL friend told me. Do what you know is your max, and add 1 or 2 on each time.. And keep building from that...

Also got to take the age factor into consideration.. I am 26 so that 70 looks alot better on the scale for my age then it would for lets say a 20 year old.

EDIT: I wanted to add another trick for the OP just something to build on... maybe take a day or two out of the week and make them 100 push up/sit up days... Basically what that means is knock out 20 of each here and there periodically throughout the day... Just get out of the head? hit the deck. Just woke up? hit the deck. Gangland coming on? hit the deck. It will build up some strength as well as give you some mental motivation knowing that you are one of the only people that day that did 100 push ups and sit ups.. I know you said you do not have a gym membership, but just to give you an example I do it sometimes in the gym with that and dips. Kinda gives me peice of mind knowing I've done more then most in the gym that day ;)

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Thats kinda relative though depending on your weight and his...

Maybe, but women generally do not have as much upper-body strength as men. That's why we don't have the same PRT standards as you guys--I qualify as Excellent-High in my age category for women, but would be somewhere around Satisfactory-Medium/High in my age group for men. :D

MasterBates

Women don't have the same PT standards because on average most of them don't FEEL like making the male standards.

Every in shape female I know has no problem meeting male standards for anything.

But this is how we end up with the BOSNIA females who still "pass" the PRT but couldn't pull me out of a burning aircraft unless they thought I was a tub of Ice Cream that might melt.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Women don't have the same PT standards because on average most of them don't FEEL like making the male standards.

Every in shape female I know has no problem meeting male standards for anything.

But this is how we end up with the BOSNIA females who still "pass" the PRT but couldn't pull me out of a burning aircraft unless they thought I was a tub of Ice Cream that might melt.

LOL I don't even want to touch that one..but funny as hell nonetheless

fox2102

I just reread my post from last night, and it's a bit blunter than I had intended. But yeah, you definitely can do it, and it wont be as hard as you think. Like said above, don't think too long term, just focus on getting through the run that day, or focus on doing a few more pushups when you know you can't do anymore, on that day. You could get in really good shape with a couple of hard months worth of work, although if there is weight to lose, that will take longer.
Yeah there is a bit of weight that needs to be lost. I was at 235lbs last month. I weighed in yesterday at 214lbs so I'm getting there. I walked 5 miles yesterday which i've never done before. So it felt pretty good to get to that point.

I probably dont need a gym right now but with my schedule it would probably be a good idea later since i can only really run/walk 3 days a week.

Thanks for the support and the hard critizism. It is helping

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Yeah there is a bit of weight that needs to be lost. I was at 235lbs last month. I weighed in yesterday at 214lbs so I'm getting there. I walked 5 miles yesterday which i've never done before. So it felt pretty good to get to that point.

WTF are you NOT feeding that boy?

fox2102

Haha I dunno maybe it was a month and a half ago I was at 235lbs. Either way I have been getting after it this past month.