• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance

Does anyone know/remember what all subjects are covered during API? And can you give any suggested reading/studying to prepare for API?

Thanks everybody.

KBayDog

I can't seem to remember what was taught at API.

However, you're in the right forum - Aviaton Preflight Indoctrination (API). Now start searching the threads.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Aerodynamics I and II
Weather
Engines
Navigation
Flight Rules and Regs

Those are the tests/classes. Things to do in advance to get a head start.
Get drunk as often as possible prior to starting API
Get as much beach time as possible
Sleep as long as you want
Read for pleasure

I say all this, becuase once you start API and for another couple of years after, you will not be able to do all of the above whenever you feel like it. This will be the last time for a long time that you will be able to fvck off whenever you want with no responsibilities.

There is no real need to study ahead for API, just bust your ass once you start and you will be fine.

KBayDog

bch said:
Things to do in advance to get a head start.
Get drunk as often as possible prior to starting API
Get as much beach time as possible
Sleep as long as you want
Read for pleasure

I say all this, becuase once you start API and for another couple of years after, you will not be able to do all of the above whenever you feel like it. This will be the last time for a long time that you will be able to fvck off whenever you want with no responsibilities.

Until you check into Primary and find out that you have another six month wait to class up.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
KBayDog said:
Until you check into Primary and find out that you have another six month wait to class up.
get used to it man, happened b4 API (2 mos), b4 primary (1 mos), 2 times during primary (2 mos and 1 mos), in the middle of advanced (1 mos) and finally at the end of advanced (1.5 mos).

welcome to the naval aviation schools command. it is just the nature of the beast.

but in regards to my above post, u can truly screw off prior to APIwith no consequences. if you are wasting time waiting for primary, you are only hurting yourself. EP's, limits and procedures.... if you can know them all b4 CPT's life will be so easy for you.

if you don't, well it will be the proverbial fire hose that we all were subject too, because we wasted that time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beer Pong 101
How to Fight a Hangover
Beach Endurance While Hungover
Do I Look Cool?

Among other many other topics.

KBayDog

bch said:
get used to it man, happened b4 API (2 mos), b4 primary (1 mos), 2 times during primary (2 mos and 1 mos), in the middle of advanced (1 mos) and finally at the end of advanced (1.5 mos).

welcome to the naval aviation schools command. it is just the nature of the beast.

but in regards to my above post, u can truly screw off prior to APIwith no consequences. if you are wasting time waiting for primary, you are only hurting yourself. EP's, limits and procedures.... if you can know them all b4 CPT's life will be so easy for you.

if you don't, well it will be the proverbial fire hose that we all were subject too, because we wasted that time.

Thanks, bch, but I think that by now I have a good handle on how things are in the military with respect to:

1. Hurry up and wait, and
2. Initiative.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I am sure you do, did not mean to imply otherwise. just some advise in hindsight that I wish I would have followed.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
bch said:

I don't know about this one. When I wasn't flying in flight school, I was drinking (heavily), partying, beaching it, just having a good time. IMO, most of that ends when you report to your first squadron....sea duty. Actually, it might continue until you're an O-4 and the front office actually expects stuff from you :eek:

bch said:
There is no real need to study ahead for API, just bust your ass once you start and you will be fine.

Though it's 12 years later, API just wasn't that difficult in my time either. The Navy was cutting back at the time but making the cut wasn't hard at all. Those waiting for API should simply enjoy life and have a good time. Believe me, the lack of free time will catch up with you later on down the road.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not trying to say that there was no fun to be had in primary and advanced... I did a way too much drinking, but at the same time, the drinking and partying always came with a cost. IE having to cram for an event that I should have studied for during the weekend. What I meant to convey was that waiting for API was the only time where you could be completely useless and hungover, without having to play catchup as a result.

believe me, flight school was a blast, but there were defenetly times where I was not able to go out and party as a result of having to study or prepare for an event.

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
I got to wait seven months to start advanced in Kingsville after primary. Needless to say my golf game got pretty good. You can still goof around in advanced though. Most of the stuff is the same after the first two flights so you really don't need to study anything new. You may think your days in advanced are long, but get used to it. The rag has even longer days. Thankfully, you don't fly twice a day normally. All together one flight takes about five hours for brief, flight, and debrief. Have they changed API in the last 3.5 years? I seem to remember them changing it to PI after I left. Either way, it blew. Wearing kakhis every day is gay.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Singer6 said:
Have they changed API in the last 3.5 years? I seem to remember them changing it to PI after I left. Either way, it blew. Wearing kakhis every day is gay.

Classes have been in bags now at the beginning of week 4. Appearently they are re-writing the nav book to get rid of that gay "warrior navigator" thing and actually have correct answers to the practice problems in the back...

KBayDog

zippy said:
Classes have been in bags now at the beginning of week 4. Appearently they are re-writing the nav book to get rid of that gay "warrior navigator" thing and actually have correct answers to the practice problems in the back...

Say it ain't so! The "Warrior Navigator" thing is the only thing that kept me motivated during the 1,000,000 hours of incorrect practice problems.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
During API, is it lecture one day, then the test the following day? Or is it lecture Mon-Thurs, then test on Friday? I was just curious what the gap was between learning the material and then taking the actual exam for it? Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.