• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to know before OCS

Forza19

I was wondering if anybody could point me towards a dite that would have the basic things to know while at OCS. You the mottos, creeds, history, etc. that they expect you to know by heart. I would love to get a haed start on memorizing these before I go.

Glen

If you surf through the threads a bit, you will find allot of gouges to help you out to prep. For the mean time learn this 11 General Orders.

11 General Orders

General Order 1
To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

General Order 2
To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

General Order 3
To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

General Order 4
To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.

General Order 5
To quit my post only when properly relieved.

General Order 6
To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the commanding officer, officer of the day, and officers and noncommissioned officers of the guard only.

General Order 7
To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

General Order 8
To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

General Order 9
To call the corporal of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.

General Order 10
To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

General Order 11
To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You cannot prepare enough physically. PT will be everyday, rain or shine. The most common reason for candidates to be sent home was injury. Lots of stress fractures. The more you can prepare your body the less chance you have of getting hurt.

When you are given a billet, be vocal and learn to deligate - but only to a point. If you have a small billet, you will be required to do it all. With a larger billet you will be swamped, kept up late and still forget things you needed to do. Deligation to the proper candidate will help. Don't over deligate, you can lose friends really quick that way. You will get the feel for it when you are there.

If you have any specific questions you can contact me personally, Im pretty fresh out of OCS.

s/f

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
devil dog pretty much hit it on the head. I just got back from OCS about 1 1/2 ago now. Deligation is key, but very true, over deligation is not as important as over deligation to the same people. If you always telling the same candidate to do something for you, eventually, that candidate will start doing a poor job for you. the way those act under you, reflects upon how well you are doing in your billet.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
billets are the least of your worries, billets dont mean as much as people are trying to make you think...Its all about your leadership grades such as LRC 1-2 and SULE 1-2. If you do poorly on those and do poorly in your billet positions, then they mean something....Otherwise, dont even start to think about leadership positions, they mean little in your overall grade. You will be fine, just know your tasks and be a loud mouth.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Billets ARE very important. They are where your platoon mates will get their opinions of you, and peer evals weigh very heavily. I think what we can learn here is that everything is very important. The Marine Corps makes it that way, and thats why there is no better expirence in the world that the Corps OCS. So many ways to blow it. :eek: All this is great info for candidates. Wish i had it before I went ....

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
very true, but putting out during PT is also where your peers evaluate you a lot. At least my peer eval comments always revolved around motivating people during PT, and I was ranked 3rd and 4th throughout.

supplywife

Adyson Elizabeth born 2/25/2007
It is not OCS related, but I strongly recommend that you have an adittional authorized user for all your credit cards and bank accounts. Two days after my husband went to OCS some fraudulent charges were made to his account, and I am still having to try to sort it all out. Another option is a program like Credit Watch or Credit Protect, most major credit cards have these programs, that way if there is any unauthorized activity on your cards while you are in OCS, you or a family member can be notified and take care of it. Good luck!!

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Supplywife,

that's a great idea. so simple, yet, not something I'd have thought of.

supplywife

Another idea, I don't know much about Marine Corps OCS, my husband is in Navy OCS currently, but we made pre-addressed envelopes for him to write home to save time.

Congrats on going to OCS...my little brother just graduated Marine Corps Bootcamp in San Diego on 8/19!! It was an awesome experience t attend!!

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Right on, supplywife. Good suggestions on both points, and major kudos for supporting your sailor. I was planning on postcards, because it would allow me to write a little bit, but wouldn't allow me to spend TOO much time writing and not studying.

supplywife

We decided against postcards because of the lack of privacy. We didn't want any extra attentin to be drawn to my husband, and he wanted to be able to write anything without risking it being read for someone it was not intended for.

Also, we made flashcards for the chain of command, general orders, and ranks so that he could study in free time.

Also, if you drive a vehicle, make sure you have a spare set of keys, when my SO went to his vehicle to verify it hadn't been broken into (during the credit card fiasco) he accidentally locked his keys in the truck and had to call to get another set from his cousin (who luckily lived in P'cola and he had left his stuff there)

I think that is about it...if I think of more I will post!

PLCOSU

As a recent graduate of PLC Seniors, and previously PLC Juniors. I would say the best general advice is this: Always move fast and sound off (yelling at top of lungs), and if you finish first (tasks in squadbay, playing games, etc) help fellow candidates.

Use common sense when in any authoritative position (billet) you are under stress, but not so much that you have to freak out and start "blue-falconing" your fellow candidates.

OCS is a rite-o-passage for us wanna-be's and you have to take it at just that, a right of passage to see if you got it mentally, physically and psychologically. Try to get some study gouge from other candidates that have been through it. General orders is a start. Look into some basic history, M-16A2 specs, basic marching/drill, fire-team tactics/formations.

If you go physically prepared i.e. run a 3mi from 20-23 minutes, ...atleast 15 pull-ups, and 85 easy crunches you should be good to go...this is definitely a first class PFT and the less you have to worry. If you have no problem running, PT'ing, you spend that much more time focusing on other stuff. I'm just saying be able to PT, run, all that good trash and you'll be straight.

Read other threads and posts and you'll get a better bearing on what you need.