• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to do in Pensacola

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
I think that was the problem, too many suicide watch people? I was shocked to hear it was a problem. How in the hell would someone make it this far and want to kill him/herself over a freaking test score? And if they try it, shame on them for even thinking they're qualified to make life and death decisions in war. Strictly Darwinist here, since someone should have caught psychological problems at MEPS or before commissioning. If they're just whining and don't really intend to do it, I say let 'em try and then send 'em home, this isn't a damned nursery.

phrogpilot73

highlyrandom said:
I think that was the problem, too many suicide watch people? I was shocked to hear it was a problem. How in the hell would someone make it this far and want to kill him/herself over a freaking test score? And if they try it, shame on them for even thinking they're qualified to make life and death decisions in war. Strictly Darwinist here, since someone should have caught psychological problems at MEPS or before commissioning. If they're just whining and don't really intend to do it, I say let 'em try and then send 'em home, this isn't a damned nursery.

Surprisingly, I had a good friend who made it through OCS, TBS, API, and Primary ground school. Got a pink sheet on CPT-1, and hung himself. There had to have been underlying issues... I can honestly say that's the one and only time I ORM'd out of a flight was the morning after I found out...

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
vsoJ said:
They started this policy of requiring ORMs for recreation sometime last year or so, though I don't know why.

The reason was that back in Febuary two SNAs killed themselves less than a week apart doing off-duty recreational stuff; parasailing and kit-built aviation.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Sorry to hear about your friend, even if it was back in the day...I don't profess to know anything about clinical problems that lead to suicide, I was merely referring to those who are so caught up in "success or nothing" that they make gestures such as jumping out of low windows. Always have a plan B through F at least, that way if all goes south you are still a good human being with potential. I'm wary of anyone who would rather slam their finger in a car door than puke on a crowded bus; it sounds weird, but we had some really dumb "gestures" at the Academy too.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Didn't we already hash this ORM thing to death when it came out in February? I've been in Primary since then and don't really think its a big deal, there's still plenty of fun stuff to do, and it hasn't hampered my ability to have fun at all. And even if it does, its a small price to pay.

bluto

Is schools command next going to make you fill out an ORM sheet to use the head. Now that the ASO/ASC courses are in Pensacola too, they are making all the O3 - O5's do the same crap. Either you're an officer or you're not, whether you're a brand new Lt or a LtCol about to take command attending ASC.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Next thing you know, all SNAs will have to live in an open squad bay and use "cat holes" and "stradle trenchs" and be required to wear a "house arrest-style ankle braclet" with GPS to track your every move and make sure you aren't in Aretys Angles on a school night.

Chubby

E5B said:
Next thing you know, all SNAs will have to live in an open squad bay and use "cat holes" and "stradle trenchs" and be required to wear a "house arrest-style ankle braclet" with GPS to track your every move and make sure you aren't in Aretys Angles on a school night.

Nah, but they have already started implementing the new Navy wide ORM measures ...

00150.jpg

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Chubby said:
Nah, but they have already started implementing the new Navy wide ORM measures ...

00150.jpg
Points. Nice pic. Now if we could just fit ALL the O-4s w/ them...

phrogpilot73

Goober said:
Points. Nice pic. Now if we could just fit ALL the O-4s w/ them...
Why would you want the O-4s to have them? I'd rather have my field grade wander off into oblivion... :icon_smil

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Because they suffer from over anticipation while jockeying for position for the EP

Skipper likes golf: "Our department's gonna build a command golf course, guys."

Extreme, yes. But you get the idea. :D

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
since this is an ancient thread....is there any updated info on diving in p'cola?

Vortex Springs. But before you go, find a dive buddy and take a cave penetration course. Bring a wreck line, extra lights, and an alternate air source. The caves there are siiiiick.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Wow! We really are bringing this thread back from the dead. Was down there earlier this year. Heard good things about MBT, but I dove with Dive Pros. Had a blast on 2 different days of diving. Get down on the Oriskany if you can. Think it was about $110.

BTW Lambert's cafe is the shit! Loved that place. First time I ever went was back when I was in A school in 94. We didi a parade up in MO and stopped in there for dinner on the way back. This of course is when aviation A schools were in Millington, TN.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Lamberts experience was probably the only time in my life where I was painfully full. I kinda wanted to cry afterwards.