• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to do in Newport?

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I'm heading to Newport tomorrow for a relaxing 5 weeks @ MSOC...any gouge on good pubs/restaurants/things to do in the vicinity?

So far I've been told that the Red Parrot and Aquidneck restaurants are pretty decent...but that' about it.

Appreciate any inside gouge.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Newport isn't that big. There is one main street down the center of town, Thames Street. Almost everything in Newport is close to there. Unfortunately, it's still winter and most of the waterside pubs and restaurants are still closed, or on skeleton schedules.

Other than that, tour the mansions, see the tennis courts, and take a trip to Boston while you're there.

haubby

None
Contributor
Pop Kitchen and Cocktails on Broadway was my favorite place while in Newport.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Thames Street has LOTS of great restaurants.
My favorites:
For Seafood - The Moorings
For Steak - 22 Bowen's Wharf
For Irish Pub - Buskers
For Sushi - Sushi Go
For Pub Fare - Brick Alley Pub
For Lobter - O'Club on Thursday Nights (below Market price)
For Itailian - Mama Luisa's
For Bistro - Cafe Zelda
For BBQ - Becky's (Middletown actually, but close enough)

Then there are some of the 'chain' restaurants - Ruby Tuesday's, Pizza Hut, etc.

For entertainment - The Providence Bruins are a great time. You can get tickets at ITT on base.
Providence is about 45 minute away and has some of the best Itallian Food in the country. (The mafia moved to Providence from Boston...)
Newport Blues Cafe has live music all the time
The O'Club has free comedy shows about every other week in the winter. The comics are all nationally touring, it's not like a locals open mic night.

Echo the trip to Boston. Go see the USS Constitution and get an appreciation for what life was like in the Navy 200 years ago. (Park at the Coast Guard station in the North End for free if you have a DOD sticker!!!)
Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market in Boston is pretty good as well.

Depending on when you are here, you could try to score tix to either the Celts, Bruins or Red Sox. Fenway will allow active duty military SRO tix. Boston also has indoor lacrosse team, the Blazers, if Lax interests you.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
get an awful awful at the newport creamery. plus, ma's donuts rule.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My only suggestion is Handy Lunch. Awesome place for breakfast.

I gotta say, Newps was a beautiful town when I got out and about. That being said, I spent as little time there as humanly possible. After graduation, I ate lunch at the Brick Pizza place and then hauled ass outta town.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^----- I think I even ran red lights and didn't even use my rearview mirror. It was a heist..got commissioned and GTFO.