• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

things to do and places to live in Port Hueneme and Gulfport

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You're like an hour from New Orleans (Gulfport). I've only been there once but I vaguely remember it, so it must have been awesome.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I can personally vouch for Port Hueneme.

If you get orders to a Battalion, you can live on Hollywood beach which is 5 mins from base and away from the rest of the Oxnard ghetto. Ventura is a pretty fun area and is 15-20 min away along with Santa Barbara which is about 40 min.

LA is about an hour, along with Malibu, etc.

Let's not forget the weather...SoCal is mild year round while G-port get's humid as shit in the summer.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So you can live in Gulfport, in a podunk town (ya ya, it's big but still hillbilly), live in HUMID ass climate on the gulf, and be close to New Orleans for your fun (whoopty do, the place is a shithole), OR...

You can live in a beautiful beachside community north of LA with awesome beaches, close access to Malibu (gorgeous beaches where all the celebrities live), close access to various parts of LA with tons of stuff to do on a saturday night and also like 4 hours from San Francisco if you're inclined to head north. Climate is mild and not nearly as humid and the people are much more metropolitan and diverse than the podunk ass south..

Gee... touch choice.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
All that was previously said is true about location.

As for Battalions themselves you can't go wrong on either locations so I've been told. Each battalion has their own identity and it changes as often as the people. What is a cool, laid back battalion one year is as moto as can be the next.

I'm trying to head to PH myself sometime next year. We did the gulf coast thing for 3 years, and we'll avoid going back like the plague.

Texas_warrior

things to do and places to live

still don't have a great answer other than PH is better than Mississippi's rednecks (if we are going to be PC, it is a racial slur) and humidity.

Anyone actually live in either place; where to live in particular and great places (bars) to go.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
My previous post said I could personally vouch for Port Hueneme, so yeah, let me spell it out for you...I lived in Port Hueneme.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I was stationed at Pt. Mugu, but lived just out the back gate of Port Hueneme. Fantastic place to live. I was on Lake Shore Dr. right next to the Coast Gurad station, but that entire area was great. Little hole in the wall bars scattered throughout the neighborhood, a couple of restaurants, the BEACH, etc. The real action is in Ventura, Malibu, Thousand Oaks, but I loved living there. I later moved to Camarillo, and was not nearly as impressed.

Can't speak to Gulfport, but, since rednecks are generally "my people", I won't speak ill of them.