• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things my IP told me that may or may not be true...

hobbstc

None
Didn't find another thread quite like this, however if there is and I missed it please merge. Here at Ft Rucker I've had a few things IPs told as gospel that I questioned and later they somewhat retracted their statements, though never saying they were wrong of course:D

The biggest one was when I had an IP tell me that because of the lift equation having V being squared, and with the OH-58/TH-67 having close to a 1:7 main to tail rotor ratio, that by drooping the main rotor by 1%, you would lose 49% of your tail rotor effectiveness. My sitck buddy and I looked at each other immediately as our wheels started turning. Luckily he was an aeronautical engineering major and that night went home and started working equations in his off time (I'll never understand engineers). Anyway, the next day he came back with two pages full of diagrams and charts and equations that made my head explode, proving that was not a true statement at all. The IP then backpedaled and said that he was just saying that to scare us from drooping the rotor.:rolleyes:

Anybody have any similar stories?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When in doubt, ask for a reference or look it up yourself. Nothing like the truth getting in the way a good gouge. Some of this gouge sounds like a "Rule of Thumb" (ROT) or TLAR (That Looks About Right).

You don't need to "question" your IPs, but you can always challenge them (e.g.: "Where might I find that in the Training Manual/Flight Manual/etc?"). Trust but verify...

-ea6bflyr ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
one of my "favorites". often heard when the instructor's procedures suck.

I get your point, but my approach to "technique" was "how to get a 5 instead of a 4." Or for the bottom feeders, "how to get MIF instead of an UNSAT."

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I was super worried about grades in Primary and my Coastie instructor used to tell me not to worry so much about 5s.

"Hey man, 2+3 equals 5 dude. I gave you all fives last flight..."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
"My controls"

"You aren't bringing a barf bag?? You don't get airsick? We'll see about that...."