• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"There I was" stories from a Vietnam era A-4 Driver

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great story with a happy ending. How the heck did the gear fall off?

Never knew there was an NAS in Brooklyn, learn something new every day.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great story with a happy ending. How the heck did the gear fall off?

Never knew there was an NAS in Brooklyn, learn something new every day.
As I recall, it turned out to be a failed retaining ring which limits the extension of the strut on liftoff. Very unusual as it had never happened previously, and as far as I know...since.
NAS New York (Floyd Bennett Field) is no longer active. In the '60s & '70s it hosted several A-4 Reserve squadrons and was a main air station for the U.S. Coast Guard air assets for the northeast. It was a tough place to fly in & out of as it was directly adjacent to J.F Kennedy Int'l A/P (a mere 5 miles) and air traffic control was a nightmare.:confused:
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
I ALMOST FLEW THE PHANTOM II! By BusyBee604.

Another story forwarded to me written by, BusyBee604.

Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ALMOST FLEW THE PHANTOM II!

It was late February 1966, and we had been on Yankee Station for about a month straight. Three tough missions every two days and this A-4 Skyhawk driver was getting very tired and a little jumpy. The USS RANGER was a fine fighting Aircraft Carrier, but I have to admit, things brightened up a bit when CDR Al Schaufelberger, my Squadron CO called me to his stateroom and asked me if I would like to undertake a different kind of "mission" for the squadron.

He said, "Hugh, we have that battle damaged A4 up at NAS Atsugi (Japan), and word has come down that it is almost ready to be returned. Problem is, they have no one qualified to test it and bring it back. If you agree, I would like to send you up there, get it tested, and ferry it back here as soon as you can. We need it badly." I said "Skipper, no problem, when do I leave?"

Arrangements had been made for me to ferry another squadron's battle-damaged A-4 up there to be repaired, so no problem on transportation. I was flown off the ship to Cubi Point in the Philippines, where I picked up the damaged Skyhawk and flew it uneventfully to NAS Atsugi, stopping for fuel at Kadena AFB Okinawa.

The morning after arrival, I cruised down to the flight test line expecting our A-4 to be ready for test. The crusty old Chief on duty advised me that they had some hydraulic leak problems which were being worked on and that it likely wouldn't be ready to test until the next morning. He added, "Lieutenant, if you have nothing else to do today, I have an F-4 Phantom sitting out there. It's been ready for test for the last week and we have no one here to fly it. The squadron really needs that bird and I am sure they would appreciate it if you could get it test-flown for us."

I walked over to the window and looked out. That huge, powerful, beautiful twin-engine rocket was just sitting there in the sunlight, gleaming. It was twice the size of the A-4, but certainly flyable. After all, I am a Naval Aviator, am I not? I had looked at the Phantom in awe since it had been introduced into the fleet about four years earlier. There was a 99% chance that I could get away with it, but that 1% kind of tugged at my mind.

"Chief", I said, "I am not qualified to fly the Phantom. I've never even started one and I am not familiar with the systems." "No problem," retorted the Chief, "I'll go out to the cockpit with you, brief you on the systems, and help you get the engines started. After that, just follow the test itinerary on the card, and it should be no problem!"

I told the Chief I was going to go to lunch and think about it. (I took along a copy of the F-4 Phantom Pilots Flight Manual to study!)

One thing that had bothered me was when I asked the Chief where were the department Officers who would have to approve this flight, he replied that there were no Officers in the department, they were away on temporary duty or ferrying aircraft all over the Pacific. He said HE was in charge, and there was a WAR going on.

I was really excited about this opportunity. I knew that I could fly the aircraft and complete the mission. But there was a little voice in the back of my mind that kept reading me the riot act: "if you have a systems emergency and take the wrong action, they are going to hang your a**!" "If something happens up there, and you have to jump out, even if it is not your fault, your Naval career will be finis!" "Oh shut up" I thought, "I am a Naval Aviator, I can handle it!"

I enjoyed a nice, slow lunch, absorbing the Kobe beef sandwich along with all the required knowledge concerning the Phantom, from the handbook. By the time lunch was over, I had made up my mind that before the day was out, I would have a new entry in my flight log book, the F4-J Phantom! I would NEVER have an opportunity like this again. Boy, won't my squadron mates be jealous of that entry?

But, for better or worse, it wasn't to be. On the return ride to the flight line, I kept having visions of a long green table with Captains and Admirals asking me how I could have been so foolish as to fly an unauthorized flight in an aircraft in which I was not even minimally qualified. How I had cost the Navy and our country a $10,000,000 aircraft in the middle of a war. I chickened out!

When I told the Chief I couldn't do it, he just kind of harrumphed, mumbling something like "they sure don't wind 'em as tight as they used to," and disappeared.

The next morning, our Skyhawk was ready. I flew an uneventful test, landed, refueled, and left for the Phillipines. I delivered my bird to RANGER the following day and never mentioned my temptation to the Skipper or any of my squadron mates.

To this day, I often wonder how it would have turned out. I did go on to "enjoy" another combat cruise the following year on CONSTELLATION, and rounded out a very successful 22-year Navy career when I retired in 1974, eight years later. Although no F-4 entry ever was made in my flight log book, I think I made the right decision!

Note: The minimum requirements to fly post-maintenance test flights at that time were:

1) To have completed a two-week course in F-4 systems familiarization

2) To have logged a minimum of 500 hours flight time in type

3) To be designated Post-Maintenance Test Pilot, in writing, by the Squadron C.O.

Written by: CDR F. Hugh Magee USN (Ret.)

Flugelman

Contributor
I probably knew the Maintenance Chief of whom you speak. I was at Atsugi '66-'67 after VR7 Det A decomissioned to finish my tour. I worked the line for a while so I may have marshalled you into parking. :confused:

The only names I can recall from then are the AIMD Maintenance Officer, Cdr Arp and an AZ1 Pete Raper.

Had a good time at Atsugi. :D

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, in retrospect, if you had it all to do over again, would you have taken her up??
That's an unfair question...lol! I would like to say NO... but er, ah, we'll never know, will we???

Now, what would any of you have done in the exact same circumstances. HUH? Be TRUTHFUL!!! Are you a :icon_rage or a :(?
BzB:icon_smil

callsignecho

Clock Spider
As I sit here behind a desk in a windowless office...ABSO-DAMN-LUTELY.

As I sit on the line, with flows clashing in my head, unfamiliar checklists in my hand and the grim reaper breathing chills down my spine...

Probably not.

"The better part of valour is discretion..."

Also, I'm a girl, thus immune to insinuations about my testicular fortitude. :icon_wink

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
As I sit here behind a desk in a windowless office...ABSO-DAMN-LUTELY.

As I sit on the line, with flows clashing in my head, unfamiliar checklists in my hand and the grim reaper breathing chills down my spine...

Probably not.

"The better part of valour is discretion..."

Also, I'm a girl, thus immune to insinuations about my testicular fortitude. :icon_wink

Very poetic. I'm venturing a guess here, but were you an English minor?

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
That's an unfair question...lol! I would like to say NO... but er, ah, we'll never know, will we???

Now, what would any of you have done in the exact same circumstances. HUH? Be TRUTHFUL!!! Are you a :icon_rage or a :(?
BzB:icon_smil

BzB - I was pretty much known as a guy who would fly with anybody

-- I believe I would pass on this one -- :D:D:D

2ndGen

Third times a charm
This reminds me of a story I read in Col. "Bud" Andersons memoirs. Stationed in England, trading his P-51 for a ride in an RAF pilots, Spitfire. Of course he was talking about a $45,000 dollar airplane.

MasterBates

I'd probably have done it back then, but in todays climate.. I'd be shot upon landing.

It's easy to jump in and go when Martin Baker has your back! :icon_smil

*for the record, I feel comfortable taking most any fleet aircraft save maybe a P3/C130/V22 up, but I have a lot more "breadth" of flying experience than the average JO.. Depth is lacking thought. And there is a huge diff on "fam hop" vice "go do something useful with this".