• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"The War Within": Woodward on the Surge

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Takes a little digesting, but a good read and listen on how the cream makes the butter... Makes me want to play a game of chess in my best Stephen Hawkins voice. Funny about Al-Makini "Well he sure knows now"... Gots to love the media. Our CINC is nobody's fool and history will tell a different story than CNN...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ordinarily, I don't have much use for Bob Woodward - always seemed to me to be trying to top Watergate, and too little appreciation for the psychology of decision-making - but this series in the WP, leading up to a book by the same name, has been very interesting.

It is largely because of Watergate that he is able to write books like these. He has remarkable access to those in power, including the President, and can get a lot out of people. His politics aside, his last few books about this Presidency have even garnered criticism from some for not being tough enough on the current Administration. This book will probably be the closest to a real history of the events it describes for quite a while.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Was this not the same synopsis that was on the Early Bird yesterday??

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After having read that, a comparison between government and making sausages comes to mind . . .

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Another former Navy officer who's done well in society. And as mentioned earlier, a guy with incredible access to those in power whose vanity often overwhelms their discretion.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just ordered the book off Amazon. Probably read it over the weekend and post a synopsis.

From what I've read here, especially part 3 of this series, it looks like a fairly good "first draft of history" read. I've always said I'll be interested to see what the Iraq War history will pan out to be once we get some distance from it. Once people stop grinding axes and pushing agendas and start actually digging into the decision-making.

Also kinda confirms the suspicion I had that the media- and Democrat-driven popular caricature of the President wouldn't turn out to be nearly correct.

The depiction of the President's interaction with the JCS and Gen Petraeus reminded me of what Lincoln said when people around him (including Mrs Lincoln) were urging him to fire Grant. "I can't spare this man...he fights."

JKD

I've only read two out of the four posted articles but they seem like they convey the personal opinions of the sources. You can tell from the fourth article today that Satterfield doesn't like Pres. Bush (at least not briefing him). My concern is the information provided "on background" will not cite the source and will give opinions and not always facts.

No argument on the level of access Woodward has, but the information is only as good as the source (and in places where he uses single sources for a topic/subject it could convey a highly slanted view). With the number of sources, one section could be spot on, and could flow into another section with less accuracy. Just something to consider when reading.

Zissou

Banned
He knows very specific things about a particular project that leads me to believe an organization WANTED him to speak of it. He knows too many of the moving parts to not leave a trail directly to his source.

Some people feel Gen. P is receiving too much credit for the castration of AQM, it seems they want the world to know how much "good timing" has to do with success coming along with the surge.

They're going to ruin a very good thing if they keep running their mouths.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
It is largely because of Watergate that he is able to write books like these. He has remarkable access to those in power, including the President, and can get a lot out of people. His politics aside, his last few books about this Presidency have even garnered criticism from some for not being tough enough on the current Administration. This book will probably be the closest to a real history of the events it describes for quite a while.
Yes indeed--people trust Woodward to tell the truth and sources trust him to protect them; journalists don't get more credible than that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He knows very specific things about a particular project that leads me to believe an organization WANTED him to speak of it. He knows too many of the moving parts to not leave a trail directly to his source.

Some people feel Gen. P is receiving too much credit for the castration of AQM, it seems they want the world to know how much "good timing" has to do with success coming along with the surge.

Therein lies the rub of most leaks, it is not done by people out to get the ones in power......it is more often the ones in power who do the leaking.

Woodward was smart not to divulge too many details of the program, he wants to keep the info coming.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Exactly. There are things in that book where the names are not right and the full capability is not explained but clearly there was access given or someone talked that shouldn't have. It's making some people pretty upset on my glass cube on the Patuxent.