• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Wait Begins...

Coach

So my son comes up to me this past Feb. and says "Dad, I want to apply for the NROTC
scholarship. I could not have been more proud; however, as an ex Navy hole snipe (BT), it was up to him to follow through. As much as I love him and want to help it was my feeling that this had to come from him.

Follow through he did. He contacted the Sr. Chief in charge and worked on his application from March until July. The kid was on it with passion and attention to detail. Okay now that’s something we all know.

He had his officer interview in July and received straight 5 on the eval and a glowing review. The review was so nice it blew me away and made my bride of 21 years cry.

We don’t know what we don’t know; however, we all know that these young adults are stepping on new ground it’s their turn to create their own footsteps in the sand. What ever the results (i.e. my son, your son or daughter) they will all have my support and admiration for taking on such a large responsibility. Good luck and god speed to all.

Now… Does anybody have insight or guidance on getting their child into Villanova if they receive the scholarship. A very selective university; however, I’m a resourceful guy where there is a will there is a way. I might step away from the NROTC app. but I’m all in on the school journey.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Great to have a snipe on board, as long as we don't have any A-gangers posting we should do alright. I honestly don't have any up to date advice for you, except to welcome you aboard, and I really enjoyed your first post. All the best to your son and getting into Villanova.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I'm gonna chime in with a welcome aboard, and can I get a HELL YEAH for your attitude towards your son's future? That kind of self-reliance is always in demand and I'm sure your son will do well.

One thing to do is contact your local Villanova alumni association, if there is any, and start networking there. Beyond that, good grades, good standardized test scores and solid extracurriculars are about it - the shortcuts are few and far between.

Best of luck to your son.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
good grades, good standardized test scores and solid extracurriculars

Solid advice above. One thing to take heart in is that if your son is accepted for an NROTC scholarship, that means he's competitive for Villanova (and several other top tier universities). I'd also encourage you to contact the Villanova NROTC unit and talk with them. They should be more than happy to work with you, possibly set up alumni interviews, etc.

Good luck to your son. The 'nova mids I know had a great time in Philly.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Villanova is a GREAT school. I graduated (and commissioned) from 'Nova in '08. I wish I could go back!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Just commissioned from nova 3 months ago. Great school, great ROTC unit. would do it over again in a heartbeat. Good luck to your son

Coach

Wow, thank you for the feedback... We were at the school about two weeks ago but as noted in a post I'll give them a call. Our son would like to follow a bit in my footsteps, he wants to study mechanical engineering.

Regarding his grades & school he is in the top 16%, national honor society, lettered in three sports, voted team captain by 90 of his teammates (it's a big team, something very dfferent from baseball or football), AD picked for severl leadership rolls, SAT scores 710 on each), very involved in (asst.) coaching kids in his area of sports, lots of volunteer time, he just likes to stay busy. He also loves to go into the woods with me to scout for deer, fish, hike, camp, and dig fro clams. As a family there is very minimal TV time, I mean minimal.

I'm certain many of these young adults have the same resume. The only thing that might set him apart is the kids making him Captain instead of the coaches. The coaches thought that by using the vote it would hold more value, after 14 years it works.

I'm sure it's not easy picking a winner from this applications, so many of these kids do well and carry the same resumes. I do know that my son has made it clear that no matter what the decision he is going complete his college education and serve in the Navy.

Hey 'Nova in '08, the alumni site is member only, I can't get in. Is there any way you can take a peek for me?

Coach

Yardstick,

My son and I just spoke with a guy that will be a Sr. this year, he was from the mid west I think. He was a bus. major and I think wants to go sub. My kid wants the same, proto should not be too bad if he gets out with a mechanical eng. degree.