• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The unlimited motivational poster thread

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......I've sorta heard some of the story of the F-105 flyover the AF Academy he arranged, when he was the Superintendent. Seems they flew over supersonic doing considerable damage to the windows of the famous Cadet Chapel. Any of our VF types (R1, Cat) care to share particulars on this unusual "incident"?;)
BzB

Saw this page on a USAFA 'folklore wiki' a while ago.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
He was a BadAss.

Not to disparage someone with an undeniably awesome career and record, but .... for such a badass, he caused a dual-engine failure in the middle of a dogfight? I know you can't possibly compare the culture of today and back then, but... doesn't that seem a bit amateur-ish?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Not to disparage someone with an undeniably awesome career and record, but .... for such a badass, he caused a dual-engine failure in the middle of a dogfight? I know you can't possibly compare the culture of today and back then, but... doesn't that seem a bit amateur-ish?

Dude, that's a tough call and a Monday morning QB call at best. When you actually engage Mig's in a fight, 1 or 2 v many, let us know :) What fight was it where he flamed out both motors? I read his book but forget if he mentioned that.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Otto,
Remember that back then they didn't have a Tactics program like we have today. No TopGun, etc. Most aviators from that period had at least one ejection under their belt and experience was king.....just saying....

-ea6bflyr ;)

MasterBates

It was in WWII, after he jettisoned his externals in a P-38. Forgot to switch to Internals, and pressed the attack and got a kill dead stick, and restarted when he dove away after the attack.

jmcquate

Contributor
Really Otto.......he was maybe 20, he and his wingman engaged over 20 Me-109s. He forgot to switch fuel tanks and he still got the kill before restarting both and getting 2 more kills.

jmcquate

Contributor
Otto,
Remember that back then they didn't have a Tactics program like we have today. No TopGun, etc. Most aviators from that period had at least one ejection under their belt and experience was king.....just saying....

-ea6bflyr ;)
Ejection? You climed out of the cockpit on the wing and jumped.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Dude, that's a tough call and a Monday morning QB call at best. When you actually engage Mig's in a fight, 1 or 2 v many, let us know :) What fight was it where he flamed out both motors? I read his book but forget if he mentioned that.

Woah woah woah. Apparently my caveat was not enough. Let's everyone calm down. I'm NOT trying to disparage the guy or his record or anything. YES it was monday morning QBing. If anything, I look back at those days with a fond admiration where you could do something like crash an aircraft due to pilot error, over-G, flame out both engines, fuck up something and STILL go on to be an American hero.

Now a days, you get a victimless flight violation, you have a hard landing, or you get ASAPed and you're done. (yes, ASAPs are "anonymous", except that they're not). And no, none of the above applies to me, just saying....

It only seemed to me that he made the same mistake that causes like the vast majority of pilot-induced piper airplane crashes. Definitely impressive that he made a deadstick kill. It just seemed odd that he bragged about it, as if it was a badge of honor. I'm all about admitting when I fuck up sheepishly, but that just seemed a bit odd. NOT talking shit, by any means.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It was in WWII, after he jettisoned his externals in a P-38. Forgot to switch to Internals, and pressed the attack and got a kill dead stick, and restarted when he dove away after the attack.

Wow, I feel even more unaccomplished. Thanks MB.:D