• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The TH-57 Perpetual Motion Machine

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Maybe both were low...? But yeah, knowing the no. 1 is on the left and no. 2 is on the right is pretty important.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Maybe both were low...? But yeah, knowing the no. 1 is on the left and no. 2 is on the right is pretty important.

Hahaha! Res #1 was low and he was pumping to #3 (B/U Res), good thing I saw that.. He was just a new guy, undes. airman. I have talked to him a few times in the hangar. I like to talk to the maintainers and other folks around the hangar. So much knowledge walking around. I like how sometimes they are willing to put up with some dumb questions (I always like to know how things work, maybe a fault I have).

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was once told by a very knowledgeable/wise man that while knowing NATOPS is great, but knowing how to flight/fight the A/C is what matters the most. I actually enjoy knowing the systems. I enjoying knowing how it works. It is not a hassle to me. Sometimes it does bites me in the rear end.

The other day, the maintainer that came to service the hydraulic system kindly asked if he was servicing the system properly as he was adding fluid to the wrong reservoir and I kindly told him to stop. Little things like this is where a bit of knowledge about the system helps.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way advocating not knowing your aircraft and it's associated NATOPS (to include servicing), and knowing the systems is important, especially in the RAG and during your NATOPS check. And if you enjoy knowing your systems, that's cool too, it's just that some folks want others to know the systems to the same level they do and then make NATOPS knowledge and systems trivia beyond the scope of NATOPS an end to itself.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way advocating not knowing your aircraft and it's associated NATOPS (to include servicing), and knowing the systems is important, especially in the RAG and during your NATOPS check. And if you enjoy knowing your systems, that's cool too, it's just that some folks want others to know the systems to the same level they do and then make NATOPS knowledge and systems trivia beyond the scope of NATOPS an end to itself.

Yeah, it's awesome when you have the NATOPS O and AOPS on a board and they essentially look at you like you're an idiot when you called it a battery conditioner/analyzer instead of analyzer/conditioner . . . Seriously, they were upset that I mixed the two around.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Yeah, it's awesome when you have the NATOPS O and AOPS on a board and they essentially look at you like you're an idiot when you called it a battery conditioner/analyzer instead of analyzer/conditioner . . . Seriously, they were upset that I mixed the two around.

Are you F***ing kidding me...? It is stuff like this that makes no sense. Also, knowing what type of oil to use. I scratch my head when I hear that one. We carry a big NATOPS when we fly, so even if we need to service it; we can just look it up. I like to know how the stuff works, but I certainly do not shove it down someone's throat. I treat NATOPS knowledge like religion, some people like it, others do not.

phrogpilot73

Good thing the battery is so integral to operations in the 60.
Don't know about your ride, but our battery exists for pretty much one reason. To start the APU (which is still hydraulically started, so the battery is really only there to open one valve and keep it open until the APU is up and running).

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Don't know about your ride, but our battery exists for pretty much one reason. To start the APU (which is still hydraulically started, so the battery is really only there to open one valve and keep it open until the APU is up and running).
I'm pretty sure he was using a little sarcasm there.

squorch2

pilot
Very, very sarcastic - the battery in the 60 also exists to start the APU. Also gives you "9 minutes" of power for the backup attitude indicator and radio if you lose absolutely everything.

squorch2

pilot
Also, this:
advice-animals-memes-socially-awkward-penguin-sarcasm-so-advanced.jpg