• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The tactical .22

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The gun club I'm a member of has started doing .22 carbine competitions and I have to admit, I'm kind of interested. Seems like a great way of having a much more benign weapon moving around dynamically by a bunch of people who may or may not know what they're doing (myself included). With that said, I've been looking at .22 AR uppers and found the usual suspects: Spike's, Tactical Solutions, the 15-22 (which doesn't really do it for me) and the one I'm leaning towards, the NC22 from Nordic. The gun components people, not the exercise equipment guys.

So going along with that, I'm curious what recommendations you guys have for an INEXPENSIVE (notice I didn't say "cheap") Red dot sight that would go along w/ the potential purchase. I'm not opposed to paying a little more for something that will last and won't break in 2 days, but not looking to put an Aimpoint on the thing. I have to save the Aimpoint money for the SBR, should Uncle Sam ever decide to get back to me on that.

Thoughts?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's along the lines of what I was looking for. How "robust" is it? Any thoughts on canted versus straight mount?

I'm surprised A4s hasn't chimed in. I thought he had made a comment about a "cheap" optic a while ago for one of his AK's.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Here is a good discussion of the Tactical .22. I tend to like his reviews and discussions. He also has a list of good features for your tactical .22.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I'm surprised A4s hasn't chimed in. I thought he had made a comment about a "cheap" optic a while ago for one of his AK's.
Yeah, but my 'cheap' Commie optic was > $350 because they're hard to get -- a NIB Commie sight originally made for their 'Spetsnaz' guys ... STILL a 'good deal' when compared to Western electro-optical sights and keeps the AK 'original' ....

But there is no free lunch or cheap sights that are as good as the original. Anytime you see the words Aimpoint or EoTech "style" sight, rest assured it's a ChiCom knock-off of the actual sight ... and thus offered at a price that is a fraction of the original item. And be advised that most if not all EoTech "style" sights are not really true 'holographic' sights either, but frequently AirSoft products. Some of the knock-off sights have a problem w/ brightness on sunny days, making it tough to see the sight image and/or dot. May I suggest Burris or Tasco if you're looking for 'cheap' knock-offs ???

But in any case -- for a .22 caliber ??? Whatever you use is probably gonna work just fine if it will maintain zero. I don't know whether or not it will last a long time ... that's a different subject based on product reviews ... but if (when?) it craps out, you won't have that much invested in it, either. :)

Rimfirecentral.com had some scope-dope a while back on .22's and .22 gouge in general. You can 'lurk' and not join ...

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Here's what I have on my Ruger 10/22. No complaints so far. =)

Bushnell Zoom Dot

opplanet-bushnell-zoom-dot-riflescope-1.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here is a good discussion of the Tactical .22. I tend to like his reviews and discussions. He also has a list of good features for your tactical .22.

I'm loading up the video now. I think he actually takes a fairly good approach to the stuff he reviews, I just get tired of listening to him after a while. Not really germane to your video though... Thanks for the link.

I did a little (very little...busy day) on that Primary Arms today and seems like it's got decent reviews and holds it's zero, like you were saying, A4s. Supposed to be pretty bright, as well. Not as bright as a real Aimpoint, but good enough.

Of course, there's always the option of just getting the real thing and then just moving back and forth. I just wish Aimpoint would come out w/ their Aimpoint PRO so the reviews can come out. That looks to be a decent contender to match the EOTech price point.