• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SPAD As A Special Weapons Delivery Vehicle

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Ten page discussion re the subject cited in the thread title. This is among the things we trained for during the "cold war" ...anyone remember that one? LOL!!

http://www.warbirdforum.com/spad1.htm

I distinctly recall, and will, if some interest exists, relate several changes to the training requirements of the delivery method, as passed down from (IIRC) CNO during my second (of three) cruises ...about 1965.

blackbart22

pilot
The Able Dogs in ATU-301 had LABS gear, but we didn't get to practice with it. Did get to do "mast head" bombing on Padre Island when the weather was crappy. Roll in from 1000', level at 50' and drop when the pipper crossed thje target. Hits between 9 and 3 o'clock didn't count. At the briefing one of the guys in my flight asked what to do if the radar altimiter didn't work. The instructor said " There's a sign on the fence around the target that says Government Property Keep out. If you can read that and not what's below it, you're at the right altitude. Remember your prop sticks seven feet below the aircraft and the fence is six feet tall. Anyone that hits the fence with the prop has a down." I was in the only all NAVCAD flight and when we manned up that day we were feeling pretty salty.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
And I was thinking that you were talking about either the VA-195 "kitchen sink" or VA-25 "porcelain bomb".

va25specbomb-001b.jpg
AD-4_VA-195_KitchenSinkBomb_Aug1952.jpg