• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Smoking Lamp is Out

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I can only image what would happen if they outlawed smoking on the carriers.... I know a lot of people who would go postal!!

Of course you could always have a smoking sponson on the sub.... just go out the screen door and puff away!

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I can only image what would happen if they outlawed smoking on the carriers.... I know a lot of people who would go postal!!

Of course you could always have a smoking sponson on the sub.... just go out the screen door and puff away!
Do they still smoke on carriers, and where if they do? I remember back in my day going in to the shop and the cloud was almost so thick you couldn't see but a few feet, I'm not a smoker but I figure to each own. I do know it's as hard to quit as drinking, so I'd hate to be stuck under water with a couple dozen smokers forced to quit. I don't think it'd be a goodtime.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Do they still smoke on carriers, and where if they do? I remember back in my day going in to the shop and the cloud was almost so thick you couldn't see but a few feet, I'm not a smoker but I figure to each own. I do know it's as hard to quit as drinking, so I'd hate to be stuck under water with a couple dozen smokers forced to quit. I don't think it'd be a goodtime.

There is usually a walkway off the O-3 level that is outside the skin of the ship where the 'smoking sponson' is located. On the JFK is was right outside our paraloft. To get to the helo, I had to walk through it... good think I had my HEEDS bottle because I couldn't hold my breath long enough to get through the smoke pit and climb the ladder up to the flight deck.

At night on goggles you could tell where the smoke pit was because you'd see all the little lights falling off the ship into the water.

Some ships have limited the number of folks in the smoke pit to a certain limit (like 50 folks) so after an UNREP or GQ, there would be a waiting line to get onto the smoke pit to light up. Talk about a grumpy crowd!!

The Phiz

pilot
....And it begins..... ;D What community do you all think is next?

P.S. How the crap do you do smiles?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Next to ban an elective practice because it harms electronics? I dunno, all of them?

The Phiz

pilot
Next to ban an elective practice because it harms electronics? I dunno, all of them?

Maybe I'm reading a different article.. but I didn't see that mentioned once.

On an aside, isn't there just one smoking lamp on a sub (fast attack anyway)? If memory serves me right, I thought it was in a rather out of the way area.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
Geez, where are people gonna get their quals done now!? Hanging out in lower level was a PQS buffet! I think all this is going to lead to is a HUGE increase in smokeless tobacco.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
On an aside, isn't there just one smoking lamp on a sub (fast attack anyway)? If memory serves me right, I thought it was in a rather out of the way area.

We just had one on the Ohio Class. In AMR 1 next to the Diesel, unless we were doing a battery charge, in which case they usually moved it to shaft alley. 3 at a time too, so if it was busy, like after drills or during watch relief, there was usually a line. I think about half the crew smoked too, including the CO, ENG, WEPS, EDMC and WDEA. This will reach far.

UF_ME

All I can think of is Viggo Mortensen in "Crimson Tide" taking a drag on his cigarette while debating whether or not to pull the trigger...a bunch of sailors trying to quit smoking while underwater for six months with a bunch of nukes just doesn't sound like an ideal situation

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
...a bunch of sailors trying to quit smoking while underwater for six months with a bunch of nukes just doesn't sound like an ideal situation
umm....yeah.....and any one of those Sailors can set off a nuke whenever he wants.......

Try not to think so much, you'll only hurt yourself.

UF_ME

Hey the cook in "Hunt for Red October" knew how to...

Sorry to reference two movies in a row but I only do b/c they are so accurate and EVERYTHING in them is completely TRUE...right???