• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Situation I'm In...BDCP/HSHP

dpc Navy

I've been reading the threads on and off for 6 months now and have learned a lot, but still not sure about my own situation.

I started college realizing I had probably made a big mistake not applying for NROTC. I'm currently an exercise science (switching to athletic training) major. I'm looking more than anything to create a career out of the military. I like health sciences, but they're something I'd want to do in the civ sector, not something I would want to do in the Navy. What should I do?

-Apply for BDCP/OCS with an ex. sci./athletic training major? My officer recruiter said they're not looking for athletic training (though nationally, passing the yearly exam for certification is 42%) My chances are being accepted are slim, i imagine.

-Apply for HPSP? - either go on to a physician's assistant master's degree or med. school (grades and motivation pending...I just wanna serve). After HPSP, could I apply for a designator switch?

-Apply for NROTC and transfer. I just finished my freshmen year. It seems extreme (and I know it's more complicated than it sounds), but I'm really just looking for my best bet for commission.

Thank you, in advance, for any input.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
How about apply for BDCP, try to get into the NROTC program at your school and if you get towards graduation, apply for OCS.

I don't know what a recruiter means by "not looking for athletic trainers." Maybe they aren't looking for people to be athletic trainers... I don't know. We had a guy in my OCS class that had a masters in being an athletic trainer; he had a pilot slot.

dpc Navy

Thanks Vette. Nice to hear you knew someone with ATC. I should have mentioned there's not NROTC at my school, only Army and Airforce :eek: :confused:

There's NROTC across the way at Cornell, but no cross-town affiliation. I was disappointed, to say the least, to hear there was NROTC right in TOWN and I wasn't able to join. The CO, Capt. Nault, grew up right near me too.

Tickle

I had a buddy with a Theology degree who got a flight slot with OCS. Study whatever you want, get good grades, slam dunk the ASTB and go OCS.

dpc Navy

Thanks Tickle. Between you and Vette, I'm certainly motivated on the plan I am on. BDCP, then OCS (if BDCP doesn't work out). Now it's just this atopic dermatitis (normally an automatic disqualifier?!) on my one thumb to worry about. I got to get a waiver for the MEPS, when the time comes.

It just sucks that no matter how physically fit, no matter how intelligent I may be, a hereditary condition on a thumb could disqualify me from the only career I see myself in. We shall see next fall.

I appreciate all those that serve, and am sorry for all those, unlike me ("physically unqualified") who don't.

Now if anyone knows a good MEPS doc I could get a hold of... :)

Thanks again.

PigzFly

I am a Kinesiology major. Within Kinesiology we have AT, ex science, pre professinal (phys therapy), pe teaching, and sports management. I am a sports mgmt emphasis and I was just selected SNA. If you want to do ex science or AT do it. You will get better grades studying something that you enjoy than you will with anything else. Your GPA and ASTB scores are more important than your major. Do what you can to enjoy school while you have to be there. - I am an example of what you are considering I guess.

I believe it is possible to inter-service select through ROTC. Not sure it would be a good idea to go in with the goal, but it may be an option. I had a buddy who didnt get into the Academy, so he went Army ROTC and was commissioned last year into the Navy. Just an option.