• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Fallonflyr

pilot
"The Show" :rolleyes: Maybe "The Circus" - but mo' definitely NOT "The Show".

You guys crack me up....... You're in "The Show" right now and I'm sure you all know it.
Cheers - Keep up the good work.

You got that right, if I could have stayed in a squadron for thirty years and had no ground job....

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
twobecrazy, your biggest issue right now is that soon the regionals won't be able to hire you unless you have an ATP, which requires 1500 hours. As that deadline gets closer, the hour requirement to be hired by a regional goes up. That is because there is not "grandfather" clause. If you hit that date and don't have 1500 hours or your ATP then you can no longer fly for the company. They don't want that so their hour requirements are going up. Best to get in as early as possible and fly as much as you can.

I'm not pursuing airlines myself, but as FrankTheTank said, HAL puts out very good advice on this thread. So anyone reading this should go back some pages and read what he writes.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Always fun to watch a fighter jock try to figure out what those silly blue and red levers are for....that and doing mag checks:)

Fallonflyr

pilot
Always fun to watch a fighter jock try to figure out what those silly blue and red levers are for....that and doing mag checks:)
Going from the Hornet to a light Piper twin to do my ATP was an eye opener. When I told the CFI checking me out that I could not believe how nose heavy it was he replied that was because they usually use less than 45 degree angle of bank to turn.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Southwest is the only major where you need a type rating to be hired. Everyone else will ask if you plan on going to work for SW if you have one.

True. I had to sign a contract saying I would stay for XX months after my company paid for my 37 type.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
True. I had to sign a contract saying I would stay for XX months after my company paid for my 37 type.
This makes me think you've landed at a non-sched or something other than a major airline so
I've flown with quite a few...
doesn't surprise me.

To clarify my statement. By "leave" I mean "quit". And by "airline pilot" I really meant "major or legacy carrier airline pilot". I've known major pilots who have taken leaves of absences to finsih up a 20 year military career, but I've neve known one who to quit to do so. I wouldn't be surprise if a regional or non-sched pilot quit for any reason.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Hey Hal,

Yes to the first part.

As for the second, I am only referring to "major" or "legacy" pilots who happen to be currently flying with me. A few are furloughed, but most telling in my case are the ones that either took leave or a couple that right out quit when there was no risk of furlough (SWA) to come to our gig. The extra pension money is basically what they're addressing in that statement.

alwyn2nd

Welcome to the airline pilot community... they complain about everything, all the time, because nothing is ever, ever good enough for them. Interesting thing about airline pilots: the fact that they are amazing at everything they do is also their downfall, they actually expect other people to at least be decent at their job... and unfortunately everyone else just sucks at their job especially management and CEOs, oh and they are slightly arrogant too. Hence, they complain a lot. If they had a schedule flight where they flew once a week for two hours between two tropical islands with hooters flight attendants (and $500K starting pay) they would complain about the quality of the hand jobs.

jtmedli

pilot
Welcome to the airline pilot community... they complain about everything, all the time, because nothing is ever, ever good enough for them. Interesting thing about airline pilots: the fact that they are amazing at everything they do is also their downfall, they actually expect other people to at least be decent at their job... and unfortunately everyone else just sucks at their job especially management and CEOs, oh and they are slightly arrogant. Hence, they complain a lot. If they had a schedule flight where they flew once a week for two hours between two tropical islands with hooters flight attendants (and $500K starting pay) they would complain about the quality of the hand jobs.

Nahhh, we just complain about the 'alternate lifestyle' and 'granny' crewmembers...

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Welcome to the airline pilot community... they complain about everything, all the time, because nothing is ever, ever good enough for them. Interesting thing about airline pilots: the fact that they are amazing at everything they do is also their downfall, they actually expect other people to at least be decent at their job... and unfortunately everyone else just sucks at their job especially management and CEOs, oh and they are slightly arrogant too. Hence, they complain a lot. If they had a schedule flight where they flew once a week for two hours between two tropical islands with hooters flight attendants (and $500K starting pay) they would complain about the quality of the hand jobs.

Very humorous and while somewhat of an exaggeration, it isn't too far from the truth. I am an airline pilot for a regional airline, and do my fair share of complaining, however, some of it is justified. And, it is very frustrating that I am held to such a high-level of accountability for my job. Our ancillary employee groups often are ill-trained, poorly led and underpaid, which leads to delayed flights, p-offed passengers and frustrated crewmembers (pilots). The airlines probably were a good gig in the pre-deregulation days when the airline business was an oligopoly and amenities differentiated the airlines and determined marketing and advertising schemes. At one time all the major airlines owned car rental companies, major hotel chains and flight kitchens. Today, of course there is very little value added to the customer's experience and this has trickled down to the employees.
Flying is a very small portion of the "job" and quality of life issues, pay, benefits and domiciles all factor into making airline flying a not-so-great-gig...