• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yeah, I'm definitely not one of them. But im anticipating having about 1800 hours when i walk out the door and Should have my ATP in the next 8 months or so. Think I'm going to skip out on the type rating though.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Yeah, I'm definitely not one of them. But im anticipating having about 1800 hours when i walk out the door and Should have my ATP in the next 8 months or so. Think I'm going to skip out on the type rating though.
Now is the time to dig in the back of your brain for those names of folks you have flown with in the past. NOW is the time to start contacting and networking those recommendations. In my opinion, unless you are coming out of the training command, this is the most difficult part of the equation. ATP, logbook, medical, drivers history, school transcripts, profile, resume (well this one can be a little tough) and the other checks in the blocks are the easy part. But the LORs can be difficult and somewhat awkward. Good Luck!

Fallonflyr

pilot

Southwest is the only major where you need a type rating to be hired. Everyone else will ask if you plan on going to work for SW if you have one.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Southwest is the only major where you need a type rating to be hired. Everyone else will ask if you plan on going to work for SW if you have one.

Though you can answer that you used your GI Bill to get your ATP and type rating together so it didn't cost you anything to do it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Though you can answer that you used your GI Bill to get your ATP and type rating together so it didn't cost you anything to do it.

Or you could answer that yes, you have applied to SWA just like every other pilot currently looking for a job. Same with FedEX and their FE written requirement. Everyone will know, but they don't honestly think that you're applying to "them and only them" do they? That's a bit unrealistic and borderline egotistical (on behalf of the applicant).

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
But most likely the ones who would ask that question in the first place fall into a few categories:

1) Prior military who was, and obviously still is, a douche and likes to rattle his sword at the guy "begging" for a job.
2) The straight civilian who has a chip on his shoulder because he never flew military and relishes his "superiority" over you in this moment.
3) The socially awkward dude who thinks he is being funny, when in fact, he is not.

To address the title of the thread though, I have expressed my opinion in other threads how the airlines are not even remotely "The SHOW." Military aviation is far and away The SHOW - the mission is more critical, more difficult, more intense, more demanding, and requires more precision.

As to if it is a good gig ... If you like the lifestyle and have decent timing then yes. If you don't like the lifestyle and your timing sucks then it is not at all a good gig.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Perfect answer.
And if you're a single pilot type, you could also say that by taking the type rating course instead of just getting your ATP in a light twin, you were learning more about flying in a two pilot cockpit, learning CRM, learning how transport catagory aircraft handled and learning about airline type flying.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I know of at least a dozen who have the type rating and were NEVER asked about it at FEDEX. And even if they did your answers should be the same with or without. It is not about where you have applied but WHY do you want to work for Purple and Orange.. Now if you said "Cause I really like to fly so Southwest would be a better fit.." Well.. The correct answer is, "I want an airline job that pays me max money for least flight time!" ;)

Fallonflyr

pilot
But most likely the ones who would ask that question in the first place fall into a few categories:

1) Prior military who was, and obviously still is, a douche and likes to rattle his sword at the guy "begging" for a job.
2) The straight civilian who has a chip on his shoulder because he never flew military and relishes his "superiority" over you in this moment.
3) The socially awkward dude who thinks he is being funny, when in fact, he is not.

To address the title of the thread though, I have expressed my opinion in other threads how the airlines are not even remotely "The SHOW." Military aviation is far and away The SHOW - the mission is more critical, more difficult, more intense, more demanding, and requires more precision.

As to if it is a good gig ... If you like the lifestyle and have decent timing then yes. If you don't like the lifestyle and your timing sucks then it is not at all a good gig.

I used the GI bill to get my 737 type to apply to SW. When I interviewed at United, the HR person asked this question. My reply was along the lines of Hal's advice. Having the type rating did open me up to a few systems questions about the 737 from the interview Capt (guppy captain) so be ready for that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Montgomery GI Bill or Post 9/11?

If 9/11, any tips about finding a good school to use it on or on the process of getting paid for it?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I met one of the guys from there at my CRMI class in P-cola. Don't know if I can fly without swearing.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah the owner is pretty religious but the instructors aren't. I swore like the Sailor I was during my many mistakes in their sim....

They have the GI Bill paperwork and process nailed. Plus you get to meet the SWA HR peopel in charge of pilot hiring.