• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Postal

pilot
For the pilots that backpacked Europe after wings and never got around to taking the mil comp test for commercial like me. You can go from zero to ATP if you meet the requirements for ATP. Completed my check ride this past weekend.

Now I have to figure out how to add ASEL commercial. Sounds like the 12 month rule does not apply. Do I need to take the mil comp test to add? Another question for the FSDO. Seems I am doing it all backwards.

Cheers

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
For the pilots that backpacked Europe after wings and never got around to taking the mil comp test for commercial like me. You can go from zero to ATP if you meet the requirements for ATP. Completed my check ride this past weekend.

Now I have to figure out how to add ASEL commercial. Sounds like the 12 month rule does not apply. Do I need to take the mil comp test to add? Another question for the FSDO. Seems I am doing it all backwards.

Cheers

Dude...I have an appointment with the FSDO on Wednesday. You in?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I thought ATP supersedes Commercial?

It does....but since he's talking about getting a Comm ASEL, I'd guess that his ATP checkride was in a twin, and thus he has an ATP AMEL only.

The ATP doesn't cross-pollinate between single and multi engine.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It does....but since he's talking about getting a Comm ASEL, I'd guess that his ATP checkride was in a twin, and thus he has an ATP AMEL only.

The ATP doesn't cross-pollinate between single and multi engine.

So then that begs the question, what the hell do you need an ATP ASEL for if you've got ATP AMEL?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Postal/Harrier Dude, Hope you got your shit done. Word is the application window closes today at Midnight. Interviews to start on the 28th. Numbers vary but looking at 500 to 530 hires for the next fiscal year. (begins on June 1 and ends on May 31)

Postal

pilot
So then that begs the question, what the hell do you need an ATP ASEL for if you've got ATP AMEL?

Right now I just have ATP AMEL. Never had anything else. Need something in the SEL so I can go rent a single engine if I ever want to. Figure the Mil Comp is the easiest way to do it.

Postal

pilot
Postal/Harrier Dude, Hope you got your shit done. Word is the application window closes today at Midnight. Interviews to start on the 28th. Numbers vary but looking at 500 to 530 hires for the next fiscal year. (begins on June 1 and ends on May 31)

Saw that yesterday. It is mentioned on their web site that it will close tonight. I was planning on taking the FEX exam Thursday (expected the window to be open a little longer). Will miss the boat this time, want to get 100% on the test. Good news is that their site mentions that they anticipate accepting profiles again around May 2. I will be ready for that window.

Harrier Dude is good. Got his stuff in already.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, he is after the Comm ASEL, not ATP ASEL, which is pretty rare because it has little utility. But if you are asking why not be happy with just the Multi ATP, I remind you about what I wrote above. Flying the line for an airline is nothing like the flying in the military. It IS a flying job. It can be a very good job. But on leaving the military many of us did not find the challenge or variety in airline flying to replace what we got out of the military. Flying the big silver astro jet is a JOB. Flying my classic tail dragger and a variety of other single engine aircraft is not a job. On any given flight t I am far more likely to get satisfaction out of flying an airplane older than me, and less complex than the car I drive to the airport, than flying a trip for the airline. Getting the ASEL preserves the ability to completely experience flying at a personal level, where, when and how you want. And more importantly for any airline guy, it makes you eligible for a survival, part time, change of career, or retirement flying job that requires an ASEL. I am off to the airport to go flying. I plan on seeing how slow I can fly out to a dirt strip for some touch and goes and short field take offs. Then I'll pick up some oil for an oil change. And no, I won't be in a uniform, watching the clock for an on time departure, waiting in line for 20 minutes to take off, turning off the seat belt sign, or talking to a single air traffic controller. But I will be flying, and loving it!

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Saw that yesterday. It is mentioned on their web site that it will close tonight. I was planning on taking the FEX exam Thursday (expected the window to be open a little longer). Will miss the boat this time, want to get 100% on the test. Good news is that their site mentions that they anticipate accepting profiles again around May 2. I will be ready for that window.

Harrier Dude is good. Got his stuff in already.

OK... Keep eyes on so you can get that profile uploaded! Also check email!

PS: Don't sweat the score on FEX; everybody puts the score on the resume as a tie breaker but I have heard it is not a big deal! 90 percent or higher should be good enough!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Got it. Misread the situation. Didn't realize he literally had NOTHING ASEL. Sort of odd, when you think about it. Multi-ticket but no single. I can understand why legally, that would happen. But from a logical perspective, multi = single + asymmetrical thrust. My understanding is that all things being equal, getting a multi add-on (at least in the private realm) is about 15 hours of flying around with one engine at idle, and standing on a rudder pedal. All the same things as flying a single, PLUS a little extra. In fact, it's almost a ripoff that you pay almost twice, and end up using one engine anyway... :p

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've got my profile "done" but I'm still working on my resume' and tweaking some other data, like adding references, etc. Can I still do that after today? Or will I be locked out for adjustments?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I've got my profile "done" but I'm still working on my resume' and tweaking some other data, like adding references, etc. Can I still do that after today? Or will I be locked out for adjustments?

My understanding and the way I remember it was you could update profile but not add new ones.

From the website:

Q: How often can I update my profile?
A: You can update as often as you want but at least once a year to remain active.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Any changes of opinion regarding this thread in the last year? It's been a few months since anyone has brought up the impending airline "hiring boom".

I'm 18 months out and chomping at the bit to drop my letter this summer. I'm tired of reading "whoa is me" threads regarding the regionals on APC...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There is a slow, steady hiring going on now. I think the new crew rest FARs will cause an increase soon.

My guess is all the heavy, multi-engine military guys should get picked up......

(Couldn't resist the jab at pointy-nose jet guys.....) The crystal ball is more hiring among all qualified but still not a "boom" into the majors. More yes, boom no.