• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Are the box carriers furloughing pilots? Or have UPS and FEDEX just stopped hiring?
It’s in reference to a stupid scare tactic negotiating email from the VP of flight ops…. The Memes are hilarious. I’m willing to bet there are ZERO takers.. Frankly, it’s bad form for a Fortune 500 company and out right embarrassing..

Short version: He said AAL is offering to hire current Fedex pilots at PSA as Captains for a 250k bonus..

Fallonflyr

pilot
1996, 3 guys in my United new hire class leave FedEx to come to United. 1997, my buddy gets turned down at United goes to FedEx as his fallback position. 2002, FedEx Captain sitting next to me at Narita noodle shop bitching about the fact that he makes less than me (777 FO). 2021, same buddy retires with full pension after making 1.2 million his last year as a FedEx 777 Capt his last year. 2023, ??? It is an interesting business.

HuggyU2

None
I met a Horizon captain while jumpseatikg in Aug 2022.

After 30 years, he was heading to Envoy. I think he was 59.

They were offering him ~$425k to come to the dark side. I don't recall specifics, but he was making the move.

Great money.

But I've turned down a shitload of "good money" for "quality of life".

That happens as you get older.

Well, not always. I still see the occasional captain chasing the dollars. He appears much older than he really is.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I met a Horizon captain while jumpseatikg in Aug 2022.

After 30 years, he was heading to Envoy. I think he was 59.

They were offering him ~$425k to come to the dark side. I don't recall specifics, but he was making the move.

Not really the same thing, but there was a guy in my NH class who retired from SKW after 25 or 30 years, at age 57-58. We all called him "Captain Dave". I still don't know why he came, I guess maybe the chance to fly something bigger or something? With the new contract, he will still make better money than he was, but in his case, there was no huge signing bounty, and he definitely made less year one and year two. Side note, he grew up in the 1970s 2 houses down from where I grew up starting in the early 80's. He was a much older neighborhood kid for a couple years before he moved away, and I think I remember him after we realized all this over some beers. My mom says she remembers him as a "nice boy", though he assures me he was a f*** up. Such a small world.

HuggyU2

None
I guess maybe the chance to fly something bigger or something?
A year ago, I had lunch with a local pilot group and was introduced to a new guy. He was almost 62, and had taken the early retirement for SWA.

What was he doing now, you ask?

He was a United new hire, and was in the middle of his initial 787 qualification.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
A year ago, I had lunch with a local pilot group and was introduced to a new guy. He was almost 62, and had taken the early retirement for SWA.

What was he doing now, you ask?

He was a United new hire, and was in the middle of his initial 787 qualification.
My captain upgrade class had a former SWA pilot who had taken the early out and then got hired by United. He had been at United for 15 months when he took the upgrade. I believe he was 61.

I have a military acquaintance who retired from the Navy in 2014 and got hired by United, at the very front of the hiring wave. He got spooked by Covid and a possible furlough so he applied and got hired by FedEx in 2021. I haven't talked with him in a couple years but I wonder what his mindset is now.

Definitely crazy times. I'm a little pessimistic about the economy and feel like the music will stop soon for the passenger airlines. Luckily the planes are a bit more fuel efficient and there are still a lot of retirements over the next 5 years. Hopefully it wont be too painful...

S/F