• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Roger_Waveoff

pilot

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It seems from the article this is specifically regarding pilots with a VA disability rating who failed to disclose it on MedXPress. It’s less about the medical condition(s) and more a lack of honesty.
A mix of both.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A mix of both.
This has been an area of enforcement for the FAA for the last 5 years or so - but it seems they are using discretion and only going after the most egregious of situations. It's a balancing act and I think all parties involved realize that. It's well known that the definitions used in VA and FAA are in many cases vastly different.

Mirage

pilot
It was extremely disappointing to me to learn how many sailors lie to get more disability pay. There are former master chiefs who make a business of teaching others how to lie to get 100% disability. Pilots do so at a lesser rate, I'm sure, but I have zero sympathy for those who do and get caught.

hscs

pilot
It was extremely disappointing to me to learn how many sailors lie to get more disability pay. There are former master chiefs who make a business of teaching others how to lie to get 100% disability. Pilots do so at a lesser rate, I'm sure, but I have zero sympathy for those who do and get caught.
Even more disappointing that the VA hasn’t put in mitigations to stop the behavior.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even more disappointing that the VA hasn’t put in mitigations to stop the behavior.

That is one of the biggest 'live wires' in politics today and will remain so. Any suggestion of cuts to veterans benefits will get a lot of attention very quickly, and even will intentioned reforms will probably be lost in the noise about HOW DARE YOU CUT BENEFITS FOR VETERANS!

I do agree that some significant reform is needed, the sleep apnea one is a pretty big example of flaws in the system to me especially given its substantial benefit. Getting there though will take some work to say the least.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
That is one of the biggest 'live wires' in politics today and will remain so. Any suggestion of cuts to veterans benefits will get a lot of attention very quickly, and even will intentioned reforms will probably be lost in the noise about HOW DARE YOU CUT BENEFITS FOR VETERANS!

I do agree that some significant reform is needed, the sleep apnea one is a pretty big example of flaws in the system to me especially given its substantial benefit. Getting there though will take some work to say the least.

After attending a local wounded veterans charity event this weekend (not a big name org), and seeing multiple single and double amputees, it chaps my ass to think that there are clowns that have gamed VA disability (up to 100%).

The system definitely needs reform...but as you say, it's a political 3rd rail that can be exploited by either side.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
After attending a local wounded veterans charity event this weekend (not a big name org), and seeing multiple single and double amputees, it chaps my ass to think that there are clowns that have gamed VA disability (up to 100%).

The system definitely needs reform...but as you say, it's a political 3rd rail that can be exploited by either side.
I also think VA culture actively pushes servicemembers to claim to the max extent - Transition Assistance Counselors do as well. I have known many of the current generation that easily got 50% or better - in one example for sleep apnea and still in Reserves and flying for a major airline. About $2500 per month for life.