• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guard chit-chat and similar stupidity is heavy here in the DC area. And yes, it drives me nuts.
Which IS a real problem in the DC area. The Guard call is what keeps people from straying into the wrong areas and causing emergency response on someone's part.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The silliness on Guard is significantly worse east of the Mississippi, and reason #22 I avoid the East Coast.

I've never seen anyone in my military career act that way, nor anyone at United. And I hope I never do.

Is it Regional pilots? I don't know. Maybe charter/part 135/corporate.
I think it's more regional than that. Around the FL panhandle, it would be constant, but it was usually AF guys, either pilots (masks and non-Navy callsigns made it easy to figure out), or controllers (usually Eglin needing to tell the world something not very important).

When I've been flying in the southwest the last couple of years, Guard was pretty busy, mostly with retards meowing or Brandon'ing, along with the occassional controller because it's so easy to go lost comms out there.

samb

The silliness on Guard is significantly worse east of the Mississippi, and reason #22 I avoid the East Coast.

I've never seen anyone in my military career act that way, nor anyone at United. And I hope I never do.

Is it Regional pilots? I don't know. Maybe charter/part 135/corporate.

Well I know for a fact there is at least one regional FO who does that shit. Because he did it on my flight deck.

Immature 30 year old who drove me nuts the entire trip.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Well I know for a fact there is at least one regional FO who does that shit. Because he did it on my flight deck.

Immature 30 year old who drove me nuts the entire trip.

Interesting. How did you respond? Because my own response would have been immediate and… colorful.

Deselecting guard has become standard for our formation training flights now. My blood pressure is a lot lower since I made that change.

samb

Told him to cut it out. It was effective enough to keep him quiet on guard for the rest of our trip.

It is very true that the further east you go the worse it gets on guard. Up in the Pacific Northwest it was pretty rare to hear anything but calls that actually belong on guard.

CallumJohn

Well, I hope you don't, 'cause you'd be shortchanging yourself from a LOT of potential flying experience in the future if you choose NOT to rush the airlines ...

But what's the 'big deal' ... ???

It's tough to describe here, especially since we don't know each other ... but I guess it's the independence & the responsibility ... being held accountable (and trusted for) for mega-million$ and hundreds of lives (tens of thousands over the years) on a continuing & regular basis ... having a sense of doing a job and doing it well when NOTHING ever really goes 'by the book' on any given day, especially when flying the Pacific ...

It's kinda like a PHD program after the military ... the military is GREAT and it's where I cut my teeth and learned to fly and learned a LOT and I sometimes wish I could do it all over again (with the caveat that I WOULD KNOW WHAT I KNOW NOW) ... :)

But the airlines??

Especially as a 747 CAPT after going feet-wet for the 1,000th time and the radios/NAVAIDS went out of range ... when it was just YOU, your training, your crew, the airplane, the mission, your skill, your judgment, your cunning, and the sky ... that, my friend, is where I became a 'professional' Aviator ...
I wouldn't expect many situations in which you're put at jeopardy to happen that much anymore.. In my general experience most of the pilots that retire from the navy or airforce go to be commercial pilots because they're sick of low pay and dangerous situations in the military and want a comfortable civilian job whilst still being able to fly.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't expect many situations in which you're put at jeopardy to happen that much anymore.. In my general experience most of the pilots that retire from the navy or airforce go to be commercial pilots because they're sick of low pay and dangerous situations in the military and want a comfortable civilian job whilst still being able to fly.
Pretty sure you’re not going to get a response from him given that the post was 12 years ago/the poster hasn’t been on in years.

robav8r

None
Contributor
YHGTBFSM . . . . .

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
That’s a grossly inaccurate generalization, on multiple counts. Why don’t you get some firsthand experience with both military AND civilian aviation before you go shooting your mouth off about how nobody is put in jeopardy anymore, and what pilots reasons are for leaving active duty.

Tools and automation have gotten better. That does not in any way diminish the needs for skilled pilots with sound judgment. The combination of the two is what has contributed to commercial aviation’s outstanding safety record. Some of the threats are different today than in decades past, but they are still very real.

You can reference recent events at JFK, and Maui for some easy and reasonably high profile commercial examples of “jeopardy” where quick action by the flight crew averted disasters that could have easily cost hundreds of lives.

Last edited:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Pretty sure you’re not going to get a response from him given that the post was 12 years ago/the poster hasn’t been on in years.
I was the one who asked A4s what the BFD was. He regularly shit on military flying as if landing on a boat or in a brownout LZ was somehow lesser than flying from Chicago to DC. He would assert that military pilots were fools for not going to what he would call “the SHOW.” His caps, not mine.

He still couldn’t explain what was so special about airline flying. It’s a job. An important job, yes, but certainly not the pinnacle of aviation accomplishment.

He was, and is, an arrogant dick.