• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Holy shit...sounds like a millennial.
If it strikes you as whiny then there is probably someone out there who takes it seriously (there are always people on both sides of workplace humor who don't get the joke), but it's mostly tongue-in-cheek and those references are some pretty funny clichés and inside jokes.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Now, I am about as far as one can get from the SHOW and still be a pilot, but with reference to automation and other advances in the cockpit I found this article interesting...

How much time do guys, on average, spend flying the aircraft vs managing the system?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How much time do guys, on average, spend flying the aircraft vs managing the system?

I can't speak to airlines but most younger guys in the tanker seem to takeoff and couple up the autopilot almost immediately. The older guys seem to fly the jet to cruising altitude by hand, and will typically do the letdown by hand vs autopilot.

At altitude it's almost entirely autopilot.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Now, I am about as far as one can get from the SHOW and still be a pilot, but with reference to automation and other advances in the cockpit I found this article interesting...

I would say it just really depends. I see a little bit of everything. Lots of new hires hand fly to 18 thousand but then then are coupled till about 500 on the approach. It really varies. I hand fly when I want and automate as required. If it’s busy or intense IFR or I’m just tired then I automate the snot out of the jet. No shit IFR on the approach you bet I’m gonna give myself the best chance to land. If it ain’t doing what it’s suppose to do then bye Felicia!

I know they are trying to keep up sharp at hand flying cause in the sim, it’s hand flying intensive. V1 cut to box pattern to go around without flight director or autothrottles.

But real world, its like driving a standard transmission and cruise control. Sometimes you don’t do much shifting and cruise control is a champ. And others, no way Jose.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks. As a meat sack in the back I have always wondered. Since I consider 10500 pretty darn high the amount of work required at higher altitudes and winds never occurred to me.

And, by the way, thank you for not answering “42%!” Left myself wide open for that....

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It's not so much winds but thin air. Plus the window been a slow speed and high speed stall is a lot narrower while pitch changes effect speed a lot more.

I've done it once from HNL to LAX on a maintenance ferry with non-RVSM authorization. Ended up descending from 350 to 250 because it was way too hard and required intnese concentration at 350. Extremely exhausting and not worth the gas savings. My FO was a lot happier too.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That's because if you're hand flying at 350 you are working way to hard...and the pax are probably airsick. Really pitch sensitive up there.

Yeah, it's surprising how fast the plane can change altitude with a microscopic change in attitude. I'll let George do his thing while I drink my coffee.