• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Serious question, and just based on curiosity. I know that airline pilots are very aware of people that have crossed picket lines, and its something that you can't come back from. What is the view of folks that work at places like this that are working without a contract?
We feel sorry for them and want them to get a good contract. If they settle for a crappy contract, we get pissed at them for lowering the bar. But we respect them for leaving for better companies.

Going to a place like this as a stepping stone to a major is not seen as a bad thig. It probably pays better than a regional and the heavier aircraft and international. experience is a resume builder. If you stay at a place like this as a career, then there is something you're not talking about in your background holding you back.

Not the same thing as scabbing.

Python

pilot
Contributor
We feel sorry for them and want them to get a good contract. If they settle for a crappy contract, we get pissed at them for lowering the bar. But we respect them for leaving for better companies.

Going to a place like this as a stepping stone to a major is not seen as a bad thig. It probably pays better than a regional and the heavier aircraft and international. experience is a resume builder. If you stay at a place like this as a career, then there is something you're not talking about in your background holding you back.

Not the same thing as scabbing.

Would you recommend Southern or a regional as the better stepping stone to the majors? Southern with the heavy/international, or regionals with the better contracts but lesser pay?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A regional will get you there. A regional would be more like life at a major. With no 121 experience, I’d start a a regional.

I see Southern as a stop for someone that’s spent time at a regional but needs the resume boost to move on. As a military fixed wing guy, you don’t.

But if you like that type of flying, I’d try Kalitta Air first. Better pay, better work rules, better everything. I know Kalitta Pilots that are happy. I do not know any Atlas/Polar/Southern guys that are happy.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Also, as a military fixed wing guy, there is a good chance of going straight to a major.

Yeah that’s what I figure but I’m thinking of the best backups in case I don’t. Just mapping out all gameplans. Thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yeah that’s what I figure but I’m thinking of the best backups in case I don’t. Just mapping out all gameplans. Thanks.

Default answer for most folks is, if they cannot get a call from a major, pick the regional that has a junior base you can live in, or a short commute. Obviously a lot depends on family situation. The two Hornet guys I knew who had to go this route were getting calls a few months after IOE, including one who hooked his first ATP ride. ?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Tacticalairsupport.com is looking for fighter guys to fly their tricked out F-5s for their Fallon contract. Better pay than any RJ company or third rate cargo outfit.

Better pay than a regional but it ain’t 121 time. If I had the option of getting current at Kallitta or Omni, the smarter career move would probably be proving that you can succeed in a 121 training program. The most fun? .9s in an F-5.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Looks like Amazon will buy a significant stake in Atlas... this was posted all over our office / coffee room bulletin boards this morning:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/am...l-that-could-only-happen-in-paris-51560980200
Amazon has wanted to have their own cargo airline for some time, they also want to get into the shipping business a lot more, and they've done a lot of business with Atlas for some time too- so it's not surprising that they're taking this step. The Paris Airshow makes a pretty good venue to announce news like this.

It's certainly good news for GE engines too.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Pretty surprising assertive language from a female controller. "Keep that big body moving" ...