• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/12/credit-cards-wont-save-airlines-from.html

"Merchants pay credit-card issuers and banks when consumers use their cards, and some of these so-called interchange fees are passed onto airlines. This arrangement gives airlines margins as high as 60%, analysts at brokerage firm Raymond James estimate. This would mean they contribute almost a third of the operating profit reported by major U.S. carriers."

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
That's sad something so simple killed so many people. I've never flown a big, automated airplane....but it's alarming to see people so reliant on the automatic functions.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Really nice bit of technical reporting/story telling by the NYT - on the Lion Air 737 mishap. Even @HAL Pilot would give praise to this level of technical accuracy
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/26/world/asia/lion-air-crash-12-minutes.html
I hope you were being sarcastic.... That article is soooo incomplete.
The problem was caused by faulty maintenance by Lion Air. They installed a new AOA vane for the Captain side and failed to calibrate it.

Every U.S. pilot that flies or has flown a 737 has said the first thing they would have done is follow the memory item for run away trim and hit the trim cutoff switches. Problem solved. I’ve never heard of anyone trying to correct an uncommanded trim input by using the trim switch. There would not have been a crash with a U.S. air carrier.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I need to flag my sarcasm more - yes @HAL Pilot - totally tongue in cheek. In did not know about the AOA vane - or it was not widely reported. Makes sense.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's sad something so simple killed so many people. I've never flown a big, automated airplane....but it's alarming to see people so reliant on the automatic functions.
No kidding. I’m no big bus driver, but this looks like they forgot some pretty important fundamentals.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The automation is there to make these planes safe enough for a 200 hour Ethiopian or Chinese guy to fly it and get it from point a to point b without crashing. Boeing sells a ton of these...look at their order sheet and you'll see the majority of these sales are outside the US. Southwest is #1 for MAX orders, followed by 4 foreign carriers, two leasing companies and then United at #7.

When the automation doesn't behave as expected, combined with any other contributing factor, in addition to a minimally trained bus driver....expect marginal results. The reliability of the planes and automation is what keeps more of these type of incidents from happening in the third world.

Fallonflyr

pilot
The automation is there to make these planes safe enough for a 200 hour Ethiopian or Chinese guy to fly it and get it from point a to point b without crashing. Boeing sells a ton of these...look at their order sheet and you'll see the majority of these sales are outside the US. Southwest is #1 for MAX orders, followed by 4 foreign carriers, two leasing companies and then United at #7.

When the automation doesn't behave as expected, combined with any other contributing factor, in addition to a minimally trained bus driver....expect marginal results. The reliability of the planes and automation is what keeps more of these type of incidents from happening in the third world.
The irony of this is the fact that the technology Boeing employed to save 3rd world pilots is what ended up killing them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The irony of this is the fact that the technology Boeing employed to save 3rd world pilots is what ended up killing them.
It's ironic in this case but the number of times it has saved them over the years probably numbers many, many times.