• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
He doesn’t know if you’re in the clouds or not.

Oddly enough, the next day coming into to Oceana, we were given a very precise vector for weather. It was almost prescient... like "you actualy DO know where the clouds are!". They were really helpful without me even needing to ask. It was a pleasant surprise.

Like I said... harrowing. :cool:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Oddly enough, the next day coming into to Oceana, we were given a very precise vector for weather. It was almost prescient... like "you actualy DO know where the clouds are!". They were really helpful without me even needing to ask. It was a pleasant surprise.

Like I said... harrowing. :cool:

Can your radar pick up precip? Do you guys ever use ADS-B IN - like a Stratus device to get wx/traffic/gps ??

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Seriously if I was a Hornet/Rhino driver on a CONUS XC I would have an iPad, ForeFlight, and a $500 suction cup ADS-B/GPS/AHRS device suction cupped on interior of canopy. Get a few devices funded from officers Mess. Huge improvement in safety right there. Heck in a pinch you can fly WAAS RNAV approaches and not be like that poor dude that was emergency fuel asking some controller for an ASR to save his butt.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Seriously if I was a Hornet/Rhino driver on a CONUS XC I would have an iPad, ForeFlight, and a $500 suction cup ADS-B/GPS/AHRS device suction cupped on interior of canopy. Get a few devices funded from officers Mess. Huge improvement in safety right there. Heck in a pinch you can fly WAAS RNAV approaches and not be like that poor dude that was emergency fuel asking some controller for an ASR to save his butt.
Super Hornet canopy sometimes precludes and adequate GPS signal. I do have Garmin Pilot, but mostly for preflight planning and inflight changes. Supers also have RNAV, lateral navigation only though.

It's not usually that big of a deal. Plenty of people have gotten by with a TACAN needle and a chart. Or good JMPS planning.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Super Hornet canopy sometimes precludes and adequate GPS signal. I do have Garmin Pilot, but mostly for preflight planning and inflight changes. Supers also have RNAV, lateral navigation only though.

It's not usually that big of a deal. Plenty of people have gotten by with a TACAN needle and a chart. Or good JMPS planning.
But can they get by without ILS?

<Fire in the hole!>

Python

pilot
Contributor

GPS signal doesn’t really get through in the Rhino canopy. Better luck in the Hornet. Rhino has RNAV and nonprecision GPS approaches. And the radar does a good job of finding other planes so that fills the role of TCAS. I definitely brought WingX Pro 7 on my device for pubs purposes on every flight.

That being said, I do feel tacair as a whole is massively behind the rest of the Aviation world when it comes to navigation avionics.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I just bought 5 of these for our club fleet - this receiver is that good.

Sanders was using those in their fleet when I did my ATP a few weeks ago. It's a great SA enhancing tool. I can't help but wonder if it would work under a Rhino canopy though. We do have squadron iPads with WingX Pro, and I use my personal iPad with Foreflight on the road, which is great, especially when combined with RNAV in the jet. It's a semi-bastardized "FMS lite", but it's a far cry from the old days of 2 feet of cockpit with 8 feet of chart.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Reception or not, I wonder if that's a 7G suction cup or if you guys have a way to otherwise secure it inside the cockpit.