• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's the phrase that Clearance Delivery say to you, not you to them. You're supposed to say to them, "Pawtucket Clearance Delivery, Navy [callsign] IFR to KBFE." That's it. They reply either, "Navy xxxx, you are cleared to KBFE as filed, climb and maintain [etc.]" or "Navy xxxx, your clearance is on request."

Unfortunately, pilots saying the phrase "clearance on request" is in a lot of Navy flight training manuals. The Air Force is guilty of it too. We sound like a bunch of dumbasses when we say it and we don't even know it.
Or you say to a navy/marine field: “clearance delivery XYZ123 to KXYZ ready to copy”

And they immediately reply “XYZ123 I have your clearance advise ready to copy”

Every damn time. Never deviate from the script.

Python

pilot
Contributor
It’s a Navy holdover from the days when there was significant amount of manual work to get an IFR clearance and clearance limit though the ARTCC. Now clearances are processed from filing to acknowledgement in seconds. And can be amended just as quickly. The correct phraseology is simply “Clearance, Caravan 2345 Sierra, IFR to Nashville” heck you can omit “Clearance” - they know who they are ?

Those days were a very very very long time ago. Sad how long the Navy stays outdated.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
FYI there is an FAA pilot program to transmit clearances via text message - can’t wait to see this.
It’s called CPDLC and it’s in use at almost every major airport. Not really a “pilot” program, more of an established program.

They are getting ready to expand it to domestic center clearances. It’s been used oceanic for years.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It’s called CPDLC and it’s in use at almost every major airport. Not really a “pilot” program, more of an established program.

They are getting ready to expand it to domestic center clearances. It’s been used oceanic for years.
Roger - I was referring to its use in GA with cell phones. What a win that will be!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It's the phrase that Clearance Delivery say to you, not you to them. You're supposed to say to them, "Pawtucket Clearance Delivery, Navy [callsign] IFR to KBFE." That's it. They reply either, "Navy xxxx, you are cleared to KBFE as filed, climb and maintain [etc.]" or "Navy xxxx, your clearance is on request."

Unfortunately, pilots saying the phrase "clearance on request" is in a lot of Navy flight training manuals. The Air Force is guilty of it too. We sound like a bunch of dumbasses when we say it and we don't even know it.

The whole "clearance on request" thing has bothered me since day 1 of flight school, but I didn't argue, because that's what I was told to say. Now it's become so ingrained that I say it reflexively at the end of my clearance delivery call. :confused:

I'm changing my habit pattern, starting today. Forecast: It will be a clown show with clearance, since it's "different".

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The whole "clearance on request" thing has bothered me since day 1 of flight school, but I didn't argue, because that's what I was told to say. Now it's become so ingrained that I say it reflexively at the end of my clearance delivery call. :confused:

I'm changing my habit pattern, starting today. Forecast: It will be a clown show with clearance, since it's "different".
"... at this time"

What other time would it be?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"... at this time"

What other time would it be?

I have requested something at a future time (place) and stated it so as not to confuse the controller. For example, "CENTER, request to hold at ABCDE for training," vs. "CENTER, request to hold at this time for training."

Although admittedly, it still confuses a controller who isn't used to interacting with a Navy TRACOM callsign and the antics that follow said callsigns.

Python

pilot
Contributor

I feel the exact same way. Having flown a lot before the Navy, I cringed every time there was a “clearance on request”. I cringed even more when military purebreds say there’s nothing wrong with it.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

f9e.gif

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CPDLC...PDC meh. Clearance transmitted by text message started with PDC, what, 25-30 years ago? No difference between the two to the end user as far as I can see. I got the same clearance via PDC when I started as B727 FE. I know there is a difference up stream, but I don't really care.