• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
There is also a big difference between flying for a "legacy" carrier vs. working for a "codeshare" like I do. Try flying 7+ legs in a Beech 1900 in and out of uncontrolled fields in the Northeast...No Autopilot..."Beech 1900 pilot, Twice the pilot, half the pay".
I don't fly it anymore, but sure miss it. Fly the SAAB-o-Matic now...Underpowered, but it does have a really neat cupholder and an autopilot. Same crappy airports though...
Seriously, the Navy really prepared me well for dealing with a lot of the day-to-day I deal with. However, I am always disappointed by the lack of standardization with the TSA, Ramp/CSR personnel that are ill-trained and poorly paid. This translates into a lot of extra work in CYA mode, not to mention a lot of irregularity reports, ASAPs, etc...:icon_rage

ryan1234

There is also a big difference between flying for a "legacy" carrier vs. working for a "codeshare" like I do. Try flying 7+ legs in a Beech 1900 in and out of uncontrolled fields in the Northeast...No Autopilot..."Beech 1900 pilot, Twice the pilot, half the pay".
I don't fly it anymore, but sure miss it. Fly the SAAB-o-Matic now...Underpowered, but it does have a really neat cupholder and an autopilot. Same crappy airports though...
Seriously, the Navy really prepared me well for dealing with a lot of the day-to-day I deal with. However, I am always disappointed by the lack of standardization with the TSA, Ramp/CSR personnel that are ill-trained and poorly paid. This translates into a lot of extra work in CYA mode, not to mention a lot of irregularity reports, ASAPs, etc...:icon_rage

They're making $16/hour first year FO in the Mid/Northwest with Lakes, no pay during training, $7500 something training contract.. Ice, Mountains, high DA, no Autopilot, no pooper... fun, fun.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HAL-you said fixed wing guys can go directly to the Majors, but I assume it's because of their multi time. I assume the same wouldnt hold true for single engine guys and it's important to distinguish between the two. Fwiw, what is an example of the multi requirement for some of these?

Also, I know of several guys currently upgrading to ATP while here in the training command. Is this required or just merely something to add to the resume? Ie. benefit?
SEL or MEL is not a problem in & of itself -- more time is always 'better' and 'BOTH' is better yet. The source(s) and relative 'quality' of your logbook flight time is very important to a potential airline interviewer/employer.

How 'big' MEL is varies (there's that 'timing' thing-y again) from airline to airline and who is in the front office when YOU show up, directing hiring and what THEIR priorities & personal prejudices might be ...

When I got hired by 3 airlines right out of USN ACDUTRA, I had @ 2500 hours total time w/ @ 1200 of it MEL. I had an FE (had to back then to be competitive as most cockpits were 3-man -- used GI Bill) and an ATP (used GI Bill ... you probably STILL should have your ATP to be truly 'new-hire competitive') ... it won't necessarily make/break you, but why chance it???

But SEL specifically?? Again, it's the 'quality' of your flight time and, of course -- TIMING.

I've flown w/ former WW2/Korea SE fighter-jocks, Navy SPAD-drivers, A-7 guys, F-8 guys (Hud'n), F-100/-102/-104/-105/-106, F-5, F-16 drivers, Harrier guys ... and, of course -- A-4 drivers. :)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Nobody has mentioned the travel perks of working for an airline. Working for one of the major carriers has its perks. When I was working for Delta, the non-rev perks were great. It wasn't hard to look up flights that had open seats on Friday afternoon, book a hotel, and go. Best part, if there are open seats in business class, they're yours. Being someone who loves to travel and see the world, that's one hell of a perk.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nobody has mentioned the travel perks of working for an airline. Working for one of the major carriers has its perks. When I was working for Delta, the non-rev perks were great. It wasn't hard to look up flights that had open seats on Friday afternoon, book a hotel, and go. Best part, if there are open seats in business class, they're yours. Being someone who loves to travel and see the world, that's one hell of a perk.
Roger that; you just have to be flexible and not have a life/death situation going (actually ... if it really IS life/death ... the airline will ALWAYS accommodate you and make sure you get to where you're suppose to be ... )

The first time Trophy Wife ® went to Australia w/ the 'new' marriage of DAL and another airline to be named later .... she was 'nervous' (didn't know the DAL non-rev 'system', which is 'different', arcane, and hard to get information on as ATL is severely fucked up), so the day prior to departure, I said FUCK IT!!! ~~~ and bought her a 1st Class R/T tickee .... for $9K.

The next time we (both) went to the land of our offspring & my ancestors ... we rode a pass. The total for 2 in 1st Class ??? @ $400 ....

Even I can do simple math ... :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And be good at buttonology, right?

autopilot.jpg

j/k

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I still don't get the "Hud'n." I get the F-8 tie-in, but what IS "hud'n?"

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
They're making $16/hour first year FO in the Mid/Northwest with Lakes, no pay during training, $7500 something training contract.. Ice, Mountains, high DA, no Autopilot, no pooper... fun, fun.

Amen to that brother! Lakers do a lot of tough flying for unbelievably poor pay, and do it well. I had a brief notion of going there at one time as a "street Captain", but the pay and all the other downside made me decide against it. So, went back to my old company after a stint of flying an F-90 for a small company and had that job go south. Anyway, I am getting ready to go fly the "megaweedwhacker" (DHC-8-Q400) down in IAH for a little while.
Someone mentioned the "perks" of non-rev flying...It isn't nearly as good as it used to be. I have to pay an annual fee, flights are full a lot of the time and I have come to a place in my life where travel is only incidental to what I do for a living! I did take advantage of the jumpseat to do a quick trip to London and thoroughly enjoyed that, and was able to ride Biz class both ways, so all in all that was a very pleasant experience. But, travelling with family to high tourist destinations is really a challenge these days.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

The Chief

Retired
Contributor

Interesting, and with all due respect to the SM over there, I remember it differently.

When the F-8 arrived it had a brand spanking new, very clever projection system referred to as HUD or Heads Up Display. The F-8 was the first to be so equipped. Of course all the F-8 guys wanted to talk about was their new toy, the HUD. Other SM, mockingly would chant HUD'n, HUD,n when they F-8 folks were around.

On the other hand, it could have been both.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still don't get the "Hud'n." I get the F-8 tie-in, but what IS "hud'n?"
I never knew its origin. But it drove everyone nuts, hearing it on the UHF and at the O'club from that squadron.

Zpatman PMed this version from Hoser on to me a while ago:

"Early sixties, one of the F-8 Fighter Squadrons at NKX had a skipper who drove a Harley Davidson. Seems, instead of answering on the UHF with 'Roger' he would occasionally answer with, "Hud-n Hud-n"!"

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Airlines still a good gig?

Yes and No. Depends on which airline and your expectations.

If serious question, PM me and I can be more specific offline. You can make very good cash, have lots of time off, and many other QOL improvements. But I can only speak for trash hauling. But it easy for me to say cause I resigned and took my chances and got where I wanted to be.

If you have a question that can benefit others ask away.

(My perspective: Year 7, Wide-body F/O at Purple and Orange)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Much of a requirement difference between trash hauling and people hauling qualifications?