• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Route of Navy Nuke

Status
Not open for further replies.

a cruce salus

I have recently descovered the Airwarriors site and am very impressed at the wealth of knowledge among the many post and appreciate it a great deal.
I am new to this site as well, and am open to any suggestions regarding how to best utilize the resources available here.

Below is a Brief description of my current situation:

I have recently recieved a letter from the admissions board of USNA notifying me of their inability to offer me an appointment to the Academy for the class of 2008, not even NAPS.

I have subsequently enlisted into the Navy Nuke program in hopes that I may be able to transfer into the Acadmey for the class of 2009 (having already re-applied).

I have a strong high school academic record with a 1440SAT (740Math:700Verbal)
maintaining a 3.89 cumulative GPA throughout.
Not to mention I have been active is sports and the community:

I am curious as to whether or not anyone else has had such a strong record and still been rejected. I am a bit frustrated, and need some advice as to how I might improve my application for the class of 2009, and/or for later applications. I know that the acceptance rate is high out of the Navy Nuke program into the academy. Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, any advice as to how I might proceed.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I did, and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. I ended up going to the University of Colorado on a NROTC scholarship. I got to go to a real college and experience the "college experience" and whnen it was all said and done, I still received the same commissions I would have gotten through the acadamy.

keithga1983

Im currently a Nuke that got accepted to the academy, and yes the acceptance rate here is very high. Heres why if you are wondering:

1.) On the admissions board, there is an Ex-Nuke who knows how "rough" this school is (and it isnt hard with a little studying) He likes to pick up Nukes from what I hear.

2.) The CCC on base auctually takes each individual packet to Annapolis and talks with the admissions board about each one, arguing why they should be accepted. Not just another applicant in the stack.

I got direct admission with not so good highschool and college grades:

Hisghschool: 3.56 GPA ACT 27 no extra cirricular
College: (1 year) 2.88 GPA

The only reason I got accepted was my performance after I joined the military. In 'A' School I was class honorman (1 of 20). In Power School I was 7 of 350 and class leader. I got really good recomendations from my SLPO and CO, that might have helped a lot. With your scores, you should have no problem. Theres a flip side though. Dont be stupid and get yourself into trouble! They are mast happy here. ANy little thing you do can get you masted... and DQed from applying to any officer program for 3 years. That happened to my roomate.

So - If you want to go to the Academy, you have a really good chance at getting accepted through this program, and you will have a taste of what military life is like. The Nuke program has also helped me a ton with studying habits and the such. Just dont get into trouble, kick butt in the program while you are in it, get to know your instructors, and volunteer youself for everything you can get your hands on.

Hoped this helped.

--MM3 Howard

a cruce salus

My brother just graduated from Nuke School a few weeks ago, said a bunch of guys on base got accepted. Don't know if you know a guy who went by "EM3 Dome"....

manny7_99

Interesting...

Interesting Scenario, if you don't mind could you guys tell me what nuke program is all about and what would I need to get in? Thank you!

HerrLURP

So you're too lazy to do make any effort to find out for yourself, and you lack the initiative to do anything but ask others to do your homework for you.

At this rate you seriously shouldn't even consider the nuke program.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm actually going to answer your question. I believe that they are talking about enlisting in the nuclear pipeline in the Navy. You would go to nuke school for about a year, at the same time apply for the NROTC program or the academy. Enlisted nukes have a good record of getting picked up for these programs.

Don't let anyone demotivate you about it!

Nozeman

HerrLURP

OK while you're at it, why don't you tell me about USNA, and how I would go about getting in?

See my point?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Grow up. The guy is just looking for answers to his question and I'm sure he doesn't need people coming out of left field to be a dick to him. If youre not going to help, then keep your mouth shut.

navyfan

Go Away HerrLurp!

I've been reading your posts for a few weeks. How did you ever get into the Academy? This is an informational board designed to help people, not a forum designed for you to show up anyone you choose to leap on and verbally abuse. For the benefit of everyone here, GO AWAY. You're a miserable person who seeks to make others feel the same way. GO. PLEASE GO. And good luck in the fleet; you'll need it.

keithga1983

Navy recruiters love to recruit nukes. If you even somewhat qualify, they'll try to do anything they can to get you to sign nuke option. They have a quota to meet and enlisting a nuke counts as 2 people or somthing. Anyway, about the nuke program:

It can be anywhere from as short as 62 weeks to 2+ years depending on how long it takes to get your clearance. There are 3 rates : Machinists Mate (MM) Electricians Mate (EM) and Electronics Technician.

MM: Deal with machinery stuff, ex: Turbines, Lube oil system, Main/Aux Sewawater system, and so on and so forth

EM: Hand on electrical stuff like fixing a breaker, changing fuses, cleaning conductors.

ET: Sit on their butt all day and watch guages

50% of nukes are MMs, 30 EMs, and 20% ETs. Its an ok job I suppose, but a lot of work (last ones off the boat, first ones on)

Theres a website somewhere, Im too lazy to look up right now. Find it and lemme know if you haveany more questions.

HerrLURP

navyfan said:
I've been reading your posts for a few weeks. How did you ever get into the Academy? This is an informational board designed to help people, not a forum designed for you to show up anyone you choose to leap on and verbally abuse. For the benefit of everyone here, GO AWAY. You're a miserable person who seeks to make others feel the same way. GO. PLEASE GO. And good luck in the fleet; you'll need it.

Wah wah wah. This is an online forum, and you're way too sensitive. Verbal abuse...don't make me laugh.

photonchick

My husband is a former nuke ET and I was there the whole way seeing as how we got married the day he finally classed up for A school. Yes- they do sit on their asses all day reading gauges, they also have been known to clean bilges (on subs) and other fascinating jobs :icon_wink . Keep in mind that someone ALWAYS has to man the reactor, so when you were told first one on, last one off- believe me that was being downplayed! On the fast attack my hubbie was on, he stood 24 hour watch every 3 days, not to mention all the workups, and the crap in dealing with ORSE. In essence, if you count all the nights he couldn't come home because he was on duty, plus the deployments, the last year he was in, he spent 268 days being gone!It took a little over two years for my husband to complete school- from the day he started A- prototype. When my husband was looking at coming back in, the recruiters literally jumped through hoops and offered him HUGE bonuses to come back as a nuke- but to no avail- he is almost done with OCS, and is going to be a NFO. If you have any specific questions that I can answer let me know. Oh- and those who are being rude and yanking his chain- my mom always says " if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", so shut the hell up :icon_mi_1

Status
Not open for further replies.