• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The role of HIFR in 2023

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Hey, you better show some gratitude. Those CSes worked hard to undercook those beans and burn that rice so that you could have a box lunch. ?
I have fond memories of box "lunches" from CG's that contained steak and lobster. Still warm. Often with cartons of cold chocolate milk and a baked potato - sometimes no utensils. Melee!

croakerfish

pilot
I have fond memories of box "lunches" from CG's that contained steak and lobster. Still warm. Often with cartons of cold chocolate milk and a baked potato - sometimes no utensils. Melee!
One time I was doing DLQ’s on a Saturday night on an LSD. During refueling they brought us ice cream unprompted. Best night of deck bounces I ever had.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
One time I was doing DLQ’s on a Saturday night on an LSD. During refueling they brought us ice cream unprompted. Best night of deck bounces I ever had.
Unprompted good food? You both forgot to finish the story, “and then the admiral got on the 1MC, and we didn’t make it home for Christmas that year…”

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
There were still a couple of Knox frigates and Adams destroyers in the middle 80s. Slightly off topic, but this discussion reminded me of a story...

Flying the "old" SH-60B, we got a mission to transfer a sailor with a red cross issue off an Adams class destroyer. Flying from the right seat, I setup with a 45 pointing to the left. First, we lowered the hoist for his seabag. Then the horse collar to pick him up. AW1 Sitler was giving the standard calls in the back.

"Taking up slack."

"Pax is off the deck"

Then loud, contagious laughter. Sitler was a jokester and story teller, so there' no telling what was going on.

Me: What's going on?

AW1 while laughing his ass off barely able to speak: Mr Lyman! Look in the mirror! Look in the mirror!!!!

While maintaining a hover, I glanced in the mirror as the sailor neared the cabin door. I saw a pudgy sailor in a horse collar with his pants hanging around his ankles and a pair of tighty whities blowing in the rotor wash. With Sitler in the back laughing his ass off while trying to pull the sailor in, I did everything I could to maintain a hover. I was afraid I was going to blow snot out my nose or lose visibility through my tears of laughter. Sitler's laugh was so contagious I was just seconds away from transferring the controls to my HAC.

When AW1 Sitler did safety training, we knew we were going hear great stories. I ran into his son years later (20?) when I was in the guard.

So yes, there were ships we could not land on. One of my first FLEETEXs was with the USS Iowa.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey, you better show some gratitude. Those CSes worked hard to undercook those beans and burn that rice so that you could have a box lunch. ?

Best food I've been given was a DDG... SUPPO HCO asked if we "had a few extra minutes" - we said yes - still refueling - and those extra few minutes he ended up explaining was him getting his CS's to bring us dry rubbed ribs, not sauced ones. They were FANTASTIC.

Worst: I was once given a paper plate of peas. Seriously that was it. Maybe some bits of mushrooms mixed in. No forks, napkins, nothing... that got thrown out immediately. Could not eat it and fly. Second worst would be same scenario - no utencils or anything and spaghetti with red sauce. Thanks? At least that one I assume was one of the main courses that night, as opposed to the "F U AIR PIRATE YOU GET PEAS" for your food.

Have always like landing on Charles DeGaulle - they give out bags of baguettes.

robav8r

None
Contributor
There were still a couple of Knox frigates and Adams destroyers in the middle 80s. Slightly off topic, but this discussion reminded me of a story...

Flying the "old" SH-60B, we got a mission to transfer a sailor with a red cross issue off an Adams class destroyer. Flying from the right seat, I setup with a 45 pointing to the left. First, we lowered the hoist for his seabag. Then the horse collar to pick him up. AW1 Sitler was giving the standard calls in the back.

"Taking up slack."

"Pax is off the deck"

Then loud, contagious laughter. Sitler was a jokester and story teller, so there' no telling what was going on.

Me: What's going on?

AW1 while laughing his ass off barely able to speak: Mr Lyman! Look in the mirror! Look in the mirror!!!!

While maintaining a hover, I glanced in the mirror as the sailor neared the cabin door. I saw a pudgy sailor in a horse collar with his pants hanging around his ankles and a pair of tighty whities blowing in the rotor wash. With Sitler in the back laughing his ass off while trying to pull the sailor in, I did everything I could to maintain a hover. I was afraid I was going to blow snot out my nose or lose visibility through my tears of laughter. Sitler's laugh was so contagious I was just seconds away from transferring the controls to my HAC.

When AW1 Sitler did safety training, we knew we were going hear great stories. I ran into his son years later (20?) when I was in the guard.

So yes, there were ships we could not land on. One of my first FLEETEXs was with the USS Iowa.
Todd ??????????