• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The role of HIFR in 2023

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This image of a Romeo engaged in HIFR ops was highlighted on Navy PA social media.

I really thought HIFR died with the transition to S and R and Helo Master Plan.

What's the rational for HIFR in 2023?

20230609_190746.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Still required for Air Capable ships qual AFAIK. Never did it for real, usual limitation is the pump's power. I only considered it in the event of fouled deck and no where else available to land.

hscs

pilot
An example of unnecessary, arcane requirements placed upon surface ships that no one questions (to include HSM who supports). Sort of like the requirement to have an SGSI to get a night flight deck cert despite the fact that the entire free world lands with NVGs at night. Thankfully, the SGSI requirement should be going away.

Problem is with ATG and NAVAIR that determine what is required for a ship to operate. This should not be a requirement. The sad thing about this picture is that the sailors on the flight deck will move from this worthless evolution to a DC event to watch and hopefully bag something more than a few minutes of sleep.

Why we are accepting the risk of low, extended flight in salt spray to prove we can execute an antiquated fueling procedure is beyond me.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is HIFR no longer a valid requirement? Did the range of the R and S improve to the point the gas isn't necessary?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Elaborate please. We have always flown embarked helos from flight decks and at some point, presumably, HIFR was necessary. Still flying off flight decks but now it is antiquated?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Elaborate please. We have always flown embarked helos from flight decks and at some point, presumably, HIFR was necessary. Still flying off flight decks but now it is antiquated?

@hscs can correct me, but I'm guessing he's getting at the point that all of our Air Capable ships can now support landing all of our regularly ship-deployed helicopters (and most of them can support a -53). In the ye olden days, many of the ships weren't compatible with the H-3, or later, the H-60 for landing.

I can understand his argument. At my first squadron, a crew needed to HIFR for a long range MEDEVAC out of HI, but I believe the ship was some sort of AO. I'm not smart on currently underway AOx ships, but I think all of them can take a H-60 now. Given hscs' day job now, I'm guessing he knows the answer.

croakerfish

pilot
I was brought up to believe HIFR was an emergency procedure for taking fuel if the deck was fouled for some reason and you had nowhere else to go. Many people told me that you would burn fuel as fast as you would take it on but that didn’t really make sense to me if you were getting the advertised rate of flow from the ship.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I was brought up to believe HIFR was an emergency procedure for taking fuel if the deck was fouled for some reason and you had nowhere else to go. Many people told me that you would burn fuel as fast as you would take it on but that didn’t really make sense to me if you were getting the advertised rate of flow from the ship.

Exxxxxactly.

I once had a DDG take a solid 10 minutes to give me hot gas after hooking up. Slowest...pump...ever.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Back when this procedure was more common (70s?), there were way more diverse classes of ships out there and not all were compatible with every aircraft. Since the ~80s when the 60B was commonplace, most ships have a deck that can support any H-60 variant. It's of variable utility though, as you are burning a lot of fuel in a sustained hover and the ship's tired pump may not be giving you enough fuel pressure to offset the burn. Lowering the hover altitude into an In Ground Effect Hover can reduce the power required/fuel burn, but is then more workload intense.

TLDR: holdover from the Cold War that's still in the manual

EDIT: Oh and the Coast Guard does it regularly since some of their cutters are old and can't land an H-60T, only an H-65.