• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The right aircraft wins…again

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking at that photo again makes me wonder. With the rotors tilted up, what manner of mechanical stuff is frontally and directly exposed to icing, FOD, brids, etc?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Looking at that photo again makes me wonder. With the rotors tilted up, what manner of mechanical stuff is frontally and directly exposed to icing, FOD, brids, etc?
Pretty much the same stuff as an Osprey—the Pylon Conversion Actuator and related equipment.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty much the same stuff as an Osprey—the Pylon Conversion Actuator and related equipment.
None of that stuff is considered particularly vulnerable? What sort of icing restrictions are anticipated in that flight regime? Looks like an ice and snow trap. Even nice dry snow crammed up in there would seem to prohibit the full rotation back down, or damage something when you try. How will you know what you have accumulated?

I'd have though the Osprey was a bit more protected since the entire nacelle rotates up.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
None of that stuff is considered particularly vulnerable? What sort of icing restrictions are anticipated in that flight regime? Looks like an ice and snow trap. Even nice dry snow crammed up in there would seem to prohibit the full rotation back down, or damage something when you try. How will you know what you have accumulated?

I'd have though the Osprey was a bit more protected since the entire nacelle rotates up.
I would imagine there is bleed air routed all up in there

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator

The PCA in the Osprey is just as exposed if you look.

Look how much of the critical flight controls are exposed on most.helicopters.

I think you’re creating an issue that isn’t there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not creating issues. Curious though. Sure helos have critical stuff exposed. There are mitaging systems in most cases, or flight restrictions. Wondering about this case is all. Not aware of a helo that has a FOD and ice trap like this. Sure bleed air works. But a gaping hole like that would require a lot of power sucking bleed air. And I can't at this point imagine any kind of partical separator working there. Let's face it. Tilt rotors are still relatively new technology. Solutions to their unique issues are not exactly off the shelf. Thought the solutions would be interesting to hear about.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
Not creating issues. Curious though. Sure helos have critical stuff exposed. There are mitaging systems in most cases, or flight restrictions. Wondering about this case is all. Not aware of a helo that has a FOD and ice trap like this. Sure bleed air works. But a gaping hole like that would require a lot of power sucking bleed air. And I can't at this point imagine any kind of partical separator working there. Let's face it. Tilt rotors are still relatively new technology. Solutions to their unique issues are not exactly off the shelf. Thought the solutions would be interesting to hear about.
I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be some sort of cove panel added. Unfortunately there will most likely have to be an accident for Bell to invest into nacelle design change, I just hope it won’t be fatal. Joby and archer appear to have similar architecture and might have the same issues in the future

Last edited:

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
That’s not an intake. The engine intake does have a particle separator.

This is only exposed at low speeds.

Any fairing would add complexity for purely cosmetic considerations.

This is like saying the swashplates and rotor heads of helicopters need to have a fairing and bleed air source. They’re just as exposed.

I mean, look at all these complex moving parts just exposed to the elements. Outrageous!

3EA57245-A908-4681-83DB-38BD3B8A4F4C.jpeg

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be some sort of cove panel added. Unfortunately there will most likely have to be an accident for Bell to invest into nacelle design change, I just hope it won’t be fatal. Joby and archer appear to have similar architecture and will have the same issues
What issues, exactly? You say this as though someone has articulated an actual possible malfunction mode, vice “Yup, looks like there’s a hole down there or somethin’. Sure looks funny to me.”

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
That’s not an intake. The engine intake does have a particle separator.

This is only exposed at low speeds.

Any fairing would add complexity for purely cosmetic considerations.

This is like saying the swashplates and rotor heads of helicopters need to have a fairing and bleed air source. They’re just as exposed.

I mean, look at all these complex moving parts just exposed to the elements. Outrageous!

View attachment 37931
Looking at the rotorhead made me think that Bell has never commercially produced a fully articulated helicopter. Can anybody think of one?