• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The President visits Dover

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Sunday, it appears. Probably the least bad outcome, he wasn't going to lose the runoff.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Well, there are lots of ways to look at the recent Afghan election, but I don't think "legitimate" is a word that many people would use to describe it. Karzai may be the "official" winner of a very corruption-ridden election process, but legitimate is quite a stretch.

Brett

Totally agree, that's why I used the quotations for 'legitimate'. He's as corrupt as any other politician there (or here for that matter), but now that's there is no opposition, he's the boss.
I honestly don't know if Abdullah would have been better or not; but the devil you know...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I do give props to GWB for his very personal approach with the families of falen service members. That takes balls and a lot of heart.

Brett

I don't know if President Bush went to Dover, but I do know that he went to Walter Reid and Bethesda regularly and you didn't hear or see it on the news.

President Obama visited one of my Marines in Bethesda and personally pinned on his Purple Heart. He took quite a bit of time (for the President) talking and visiting with the family. My Marines mother cried on his shoulder (literally) for several minutes.

There were pictures taken by the White House staffers (I have a copy), but that was primarily for the family. He had massive eye injuries and was in and out of consiousness during the ceremony, so it serves as a great momento for him as well (since he couldn't see anything). You'll never see/ hear about this visit on the national news.

At least in these instances the President is 100% genuine and is providing an invaluable boost to the morale of the servicemember and their families. That goes for President Bush as well.

I'm all for a good cynical conspiracy theory, but I'm inclined to give our Commander in Chief (no matter who he is at the moment) the benefit of the doubt when it comes to personal visits with wounded or fallen troops.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
President Obama visited one of my Marines in Bethesda and personally pinned on his Purple Heart. He took quite a bit of time (for the President) talking and visiting with the family. My Marines mother cried on his shoulder (literally) for several minutes.

There were pictures taken by the White House staffers (I have a copy), but that was primarily for the family. He had massive eye injuries and was in and out of consiousness during the ceremony, so it serves as a great momento for him as well (since he couldn't see anything). You'll never see/ hear about this visit on the national news.

At least in these instances the President is 100% genuine and is providing an invaluable boost to the morale of the servicemember and their families. That goes for President Bush as well.

I'm all for a good cynical conspiracy theory, but I'm inclined to give our Commander in Chief (no matter who he is at the moment) the benefit of the doubt when it comes to personal visits with wounded or fallen troops.

+1

How anyone (no matter how cynical) could think otherwise is a mystery to me.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A voice of clarity among the cacophony of bullshit around here...
The only reason I note what Maureen Dowd writes is so that I can note that the exact opposite is probably a good idea. She's the prototypical squawking yenta, at least in her columns.