• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual Prowler Tribute

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or smash the bitchin's set of $400 Canon spin-stabilized binoculars...
Spin-stabilized binoculars? I've heard of spin-stabilized bombs & rockets... but never "binocs"! That for the tin can 'Shoe' OODs in heavy seas?:p
BzB

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Spin-stabilized binoculars? I've heard of spin-stabilized bombs & rockets... but never "binocs"! That for the tin can 'Shoe' OODs in heavy seas?:p
BzB
Push button, something spun inside, image stabilized = spin stabilized binoculars. :)
image002.jpg

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/8x25i..._sku=CNON005&gclid=CJ6KrcaMy7UCFY6e4AodQlgAtw
They were awesome in Iraq for trying to spot the convoy you were supposed to be supporting, or for general SA on what was going on.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're gyro stabilized. There's a Navy version, obviously not as nice as the Canon product.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But ten times the cost?
Naturally. Glad you enjoyed your flight. Front seat LL is one of the most enjoyable events, IMO. Shame you couldn't do it in the Cascades though - world of difference in terms of scenery.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Naturally. Glad you enjoyed your flight. Front seat LL is one of the most enjoyable events, IMO. Shame you couldn't do it in the Cascades though - world of difference in terms of scenery.

True. Unfortunately we were limited to 1000' AGL anyway. It was still a good time and a hell of a lot more dynamic than the C-12.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why was that? Route structure?

No, it's because I'm not NATOPS qualified in the Prowler. If I was in the back they could have gone lower. It was one of their SOP things.

Made no sense to me, but I certainly wasn't going to bitch about getting a good deal.

It's not like I'm a flight surgeon or a midshipman. I've actually run that route a time or twelve all by myself.

Whatever. It was still a good time.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
No, it's because I'm not NATOPS qualified in the Prowler. If I was in the back they could have gone lower. It was one of their SOP things.

Made no sense to me, but I certainly wasn't going to bitch about getting a good deal..

Yea, that's weird but as you say a ride's a ride. We routinely did LL's with middies at 200' in the front seat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, that's weird but as you say a ride's a ride. We routinely did LL's with middies at 200' in the front seat.
Both front seaters must be qualified & current LAA to go to 500 Ft.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Both front seaters must be qualified & current LAA to go to 500 Ft.

Ah, since I retired before their was an LAA (low altitude aviation? / aptitude? / attitude? /appendectomy?) program I guess I'm lucky we never planted a jet huh?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, since I retired before their was an LAA (low altitude aviation? / aptitude? / attitude? /appendectomy?) program I guess I'm lucky we never planted a jet huh?
Something to do with some Marines and a ski lift, if memory serves.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Something to do with some Marines and a ski lift, if memory serves.

40+ years of Prowlers and the USMC is the only ones that have managed to whack the ground or another fixed object with one (the one in Yuma killed the CO/XO in the same jet IIRC) So, for that you get another rule.

CVWR-20 didn't fall under COMVAQWINGPAC so we even did (gasp!) overheads in ours in 209 and somehow didn't have issues.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Shame you couldn't do it in the Cascades though - world of difference in terms of scenery.

God's country. One day I will do this in a jet with a BuNo on the side. Maybe with some low approaches at the end to KEUG to wake up the folks :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
God's country. One day I will do this in a jet with a BuNo on the side. Maybe with some low approaches at the end to KEUG to wake up the folks :)
If I make it back to NUW, I'd be happy to host you there to fascilitate. There are a couple nice routes that do take you into our beloved home state, but the best ones are in WA. The VAQ crowd does practice aproaches at Mahon Sweet pretty regularly - NSTR.