• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The passing of an IFS legend

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Wow, I remember going through IFS and there were a couple guys who would rave about him and say that he was awesome to fly with. Sad to hear.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He taught me to fly. RIP Dave.

Edit: upon further reflection over my morning coffee, I'm reminded of George Patton's statement that "it is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." Those of us who went through IFS with Dave know that it was a somewhat unique experience compared to what our compatriots were going through at the same time. Maybe not as hectic or technically challenging as what we've done since, but as the proverbial "young skull full of cottage cheese," it was more than enough for this young Ensign. The IFS program was 60 days long at that point; most of his studs flew through the program. I finished in 2 weeks. It was the "open mouth, insert firehose" method of learning how to fly, and it worked. I'd like to encourage anyone who is a Dave Miles IFS alum to share any funny or memorable stories they had from training with the man. God knows you're here and you remember too.

My partner went to Georgia Tech. Whenever Dave would be illustrating some concept in the brief, he'd get to some point where he'd say, "now a guy from Penn State might say X, and a guy who went to Georgia Tech might tell you Y, but really the answer is Z . . ."

I'm not surprised at the article saying the mishap occurred at 4:30am. Dave always had us there early, like 0530 early. Big Navy wouldn't pay for BOQ rooms since Eglin was "local area." So it was get up at 03-something, drive from the P-cola BOQ to my partner's apartment, then carpool to Eglin, brief, fly both our events, debrief, go home, study, and be in bed at 1900 to repeat the cycle. I got ahead of my partner towards the end and got a BOQ room on my own dime for the cross-country solo.

The first time I tried to do a power-off stall, I departed the freaking Cessna. I can still remember being 40 degrees nose down with Choctawatchee Bay filling up my windscreen. Col. Miles just talked me through the UA recovery and off we went.

My partner was flying on a day we were sure to get canxed for weather. Nope! Oops. Clouds roll in. Dave pulls the FL low plates out of his helmet bag and starts tuning NAVAIDs. He starts telling my partner ok, now do this, now fly here, turn here, keep these needles centered. 15 hours total time, and he's flying the ILS to a full stop! :)

My technique in the flare could closely be approximated using a horny monkey and a football. That was my major hangup early on. The day Dave finally got the lightbulb to come on, I can't think of how many landings we did. Cloud layer going in and out at pattern altitude, and we explored every variation of the Eglin traffic pattern. Left pattern, right pattern, switch runways, back to the first . . .

I think that was the day before he signed my logbook, hopped out, gave the door a smack and walked away.

You only get to do that once per life.

Thanks, Dave.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
How about the two liters of coke he'd pound following a morning of flying? Or starting the airplane up before they even had the field lights on? And NOTHING would interrupt a brief or debrief...except a call from his wife.

My second flight in IFS was a typical Dave Miles 0445 launch, in complete darkness. About 15 minutes into that hop I barely knew how to turn the airplane and Col. Miles clicks on the pilot controlled lighting at Florala (which was just under the nose), pulls the power to idle and says, "so what are you going to do now?"

Less than an hour of total time and I'm getting talked through a HAPL...and my first helmet fire.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I had Col. Miles for IFS also. My partner and I finished the flying portion of the program in 13 days. (This was when we still had the "cross country" solo and studs were taking the full 90 days.) Amazing instructor. Showed us what a spin was and talked us through how to fly out of it. He also showed us short field ops, soft field ops and some other "this might save your ass one day" type of stuff.

My best memory is similar to Nittany's. I was the second go of the morning and it was still freakin early. We finish up bounces at one of the OLF's to discover that the big boomers built up quickly and Eglin was socked in. He broke out the plates, tuned up the navaids and talked me through the ILS. While on final the heavy in front of us reported breaking out right at mins and that it looked to be getting worse as he was taxing off. Dave looked at me and said "like many things in life, you only get 1 shot so don't screw it up." He talked me through keeping the needles centered and he broke out the lights right at mins. The rest of the birds after us had to divert because it got worse and no one else broke out.

An amazing man who could instruct and instill confidence like few others.