• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS The Not So Friendly Skies....

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
This guy will get a chunk of change from the airline because of the bad press, not because of what the airline did. If he deserves anything, it's from the airport who the security guys work for.

Psshhh..bitch please... the national populace will forget about this in a week. People only care because it went viral and the talking heads on TV got ahold of it for their weekly social justice rant. It's not because there is some national rage against airline quality. I like my $400 coast to coast flights and so does the rest of the nation. United will lawyer the fuck up and deflect damages on to security personnel.

People will cry about regulation changes and politicians will get ADHD and knee jerk react to the next overly melodramatic national outrage that has very little importance to our long term prosperity. United' stock will recover because it's a major airline powerhouse and has a huge market share and large revenue. Nobody really gives a shit and I hope this thread realizes that too.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
United made a profit of $2.3 billion in 2016. United also involuntarily bumped 3,765 passengers. Even if you paid each involuntarily bumped passenger $2000, that is a $7 million charge out of a $2.3 billion profit. Your argument about it being a financial burden to the airline fails.

If my doctor cancels the appointment - not due to overbooking - then it is a one day event and I lose 1 day of sick leave. If I am bumped off a flight, that could cause me to miss said funeral, said wedding (both no amount of compensation could rectify) or destroy a planned vacation. Your false equivalency argument fails again.

Again, are you saying that an airline that intentionally sells more tickets on a flight than it has seats has no responsibility to the customers to fix the problem that it created?

http://atwonline.com/airline-financials/united-earns-23-billion-2016-net-profit
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/bring-humanity-back-to-aviation/
I'll make sure corporations consult you to find out how much profit is acceptable in the future. This argument has gotten completely ridiculous.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Psshhh..bitch please... the national populace will forget about this in a week. People only care because it went viral and the talking heads on TV got ahold of it for their weekly social justice rant. It's not because there is some national rage against airline quality. I like my $400 coast to coast flights and so does the rest of the nation. United will lawyer the fuck up and deflect damages on to security personnel.

People will cry about regulation changes and politicians will get ADHD and knee jerk react to the next overly melodramatic national outrage that has very little importance to our long term prosperity. United' stock will recover because it's a major airline powerhouse and has a huge market share and large revenue. Nobody really gives a shit and I hope this thread realizes that too.
I wouldn't be surprised if the flying public, at least in the near term, goes out of their way to give the airlines a really hard time at even the remote suggestion of poor customer service. The United fiasco will be thrown in the face of every ticket/gate agent when there is even a slight delay or the possibility of being bumped from their assigned seat. Fun times for sure. Flying United from Dulles to Colorado Springs in two weeks, wonder what the flying atmosphere will be like . . . . .

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was not aware the security officers "beat up" the Doc. Have not seen a report saying so. Have read a report his nose was bloodied when HE hit it on an arm rest because he struggled.

Heaŕd most of lawyer's press conference. It was just an exercise in jury pool influencing. That conferance was meant for potential jurors in Cook County and tonlessor extent to get national public pressure applied to UAL

Heard all about UAL and other airlines disrespecting people and not treating customers with dignity. Well guess what, can't be sued for that. So what was the point of the boo hooing? Influence people who will end up on a jury.

Allegations have been made that UAL didn't follow some rules. All come from internet warriors or partisan talking heads or lawyers. Fact is, the good Doc knew nothing of the sort. He just thought he should be treated differently than the others who got off the plane. He was special. He has a history of flaunting the rules and authority. THAT will be an issue in trial. He is no Rosa Parks. Munoz may have apologized but as this plays out over the months i am hoping his lawyers play hard ball and the public forgets it all.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the Flying Lawyer's point of view.

Interesting: "...the non-breaching party has absolutely no legal right whatsoever to compel the airline to perform its contractual obligations."

So the airline, because of all the unique aviation laws, has the right to say "F.U." and the passenger's only recourse is to seek monetary compensation.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
You know... now that those mall cops are laid off, they could probably get a bit of business on the side enforcing some homeowners' association codes and covenants.
Or working as local Nightclub bouncers.. Need not even have a resume, it's all over the Internet.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last i heard, not laid off. On admin leave during investigation. SOP. Not mall cops. Apparently not full authority peace officers, they have limited arrest powers and are first responders at ORD. If they gave a lawful order to get up and come with them, and as of now it looks like it, then you can not resist. He was passively resisting. That is itself, illegal.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They remind me of the Virginia ABC (state liquor store cops) that flubbed a "bust" of some sorority girls buying tonic water a few years ago. One of them, dressed pretty much the same as these Chicago airport cops, waved his badge at the driver's window while another stood in the way of their car as they pulled out of their parking spot. That didn't end well for the guy standing in the way- and the court sided with the girls.

When three dudes can't wrestle 69 year old "doctor I have poor decision making skills" without breaking off two of his teeth, I don't know what else to say.

You can't fix stupid with more training. I stand by my "mallcop" pejorative.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They remind me of the Virginia ABC (state liquor store cops) that flubbed a "bust" of some sorority girls buying tonic water a few years ago. One of them, dressed pretty much the same as these Chicago airport cops, waved his badge at the driver's window while another stood in the way of their car as they pulled out of their parking spot. That didn't end well for the guy standing in the way- and the court sided with the girls.

When three dudes can't wrestle 69 year old "doctor I have poor decision making skills" without breaking off two of his teeth, I don't know what else to say.

When you have tried to wrestle a 69 year old man from a tight airline seat in close quarters offer me your updated and informed opinion. I know of an arrest of a double amputee that took three cops.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor

I worked for VABC in their stores before I left my home state, they were notorious for that muck-up; it was exacerbated by most Virginia-dwellers being unaware VABC has an enforcement branch and her fear of random strangers accosting her. However, I have to address that second comment you made regarding the man's age as if that somehow means he's frail and weak and easily manipulated. That would be a mistake to assume. Throughout my career I have seen the most surprising people fight the absolute hardest and it is never okay to grow complacent with "old" people, women, teens, disabled, etc. That will get you dead or maimed in the police world (not saying that's what could have happened here, just saying that just because he's 69 did not mean he was easily removed/controlled).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's a fair point, generally speaking, about unlikely looking people still being potentially dangerous. I'm still not convinced that we can attribute how this 3v1 turned out to that principle.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generally, the more officers involved the less the likihood of injury to either LE or suspect. That is a fact supported by evidence. It is how LE trains. That you believe otherwise and plaintiff's lawyers promote the image of cops ganging up in brutal unfair fights is a counterfactual LE and their lawyers must cure every time a jury sits or public opines.