• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

HuggyU2

None
You could also save some money by renting a cheap apartment in the low-rent part of town. But there's a reason you don't do that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You could also save some money by renting a cheap apartment in the low-rent part of town. But there's a reason you don't do that.
BINGO!!!

The only guy to "get it", so far, is our very own "Dragon Lady/BlackCat" driver ... one of these days, in a time far, far away ... most of you guys are going to "get it" and realize that some things in life are more important than saving a few hundred bucks. Things like your personal safety, health & welfare, and self-respect.

And this coming from a guy who used to change back into the uniform-of-the-day in a gas station head (rest-room for you landlubbers). :D

phrogpilot73

My recommendation would be to see if the guy would trailer the bike to Nashville. Southwest flies there, and you can get a ticket non-stop from Jacksonville to Nashville for $164. If he won't trailer it to Nashville, you could then take a mighty Greyhound bus for $30-ish and only 3 hours. That way, your exposure to the magic and mystery that is bus transportation would be 11 hours less than it once was.

Have you priced out renting a cheap car one way?
I tried that once, it's ridiculously expensive (like $250/day) unless they have a car that's from TN that needs to be returned. Good idea though, if Southwest doesn't work for you - if it was me, I'd use my POV and rent a trailer from U-Haul. It's 8 1/2 hours there, so 17 hours round trip. 3 hours more than if you took greyhound, probably comparable price - and you can almost guarantee you won't get shanked.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
.................... - if it was me, I'd use my POV and rent a trailer from U-Haul. It's 8 1/2 hours there, so 17 hours round trip. 3 hours more than if you took greyhound, probably comparable price - and you can almost guarantee you won't get shanked.

Good idea. Your chances for sitting next to a sweaty transvestite go down a little bit.

Gulltrek

I just got done with a 14+ hour Greyhound trip. I'm used to 24+ hour commercial airline flights across country so sitting forever is pretty standard fare for me, but... egads...

Airport security may just be giving us a good illusion of safety, but they do reduce the convenience-store-criminal element. There's a lot of nice, if smelly, people on the bus but there were plenty of times I had my hand on my knife because of some creepy guy eyeballing me. I don't think there really is a nice way to describe exactly why not to take the bus other than to just say - Don't take the bus.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let see...my two cents:

1. Space-A flight?
2. VT-86 x-country?
3. Round trip airfare is usually cheaper than one way.
4. craigslist for a free/or low cost ride-along
5. rent a plane? :D

Winchester.

Oh, yeah, Greyhound sucks. Rode from Phoenix to Oregon. Painful. You get to stop in EVERY PODUNK town from here to there. There are better ways.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Let see...my two cents:

1. Space-A flight?
2. VT-86 x-country?
3. Round trip airfare is usually cheaper than one way.
4. craigslist for a free/or low cost ride-along
5. rent a plane? :D

Winchester.

-ea6bflyr ;)

1. To Knoxville?
2. To Knoxville?
3. Not to Knoxville (450 ish vice 350 ish one way)
4. HA!!! You think Craigslist would be better than the bus? Where do you think the sketchballs who can't afford a Greyhound ticket get rides?;)
5. This is what I'm doing. I found a buddy who is in the mood and has family up there. We're going to split the time. More expensive, but more fun and on my schedule.

Mostly though...I just want to keep hearing people's sketchy Greyhound stories.:D

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Mostly though...I just want to keep hearing people's sketchy Greyhound stories.:D

Sure you don't want to live it and have an awesome story of your own? I'd buy you a cigar to hear it once you got back--if you come back... :D

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I took the Greyhound two summers in a row from San Diego to Pittsburgh to Chicago to visit family. I was 13-14 and the time and on the 2 1/2 day trip I got to meet my first Russians (who lamented the fall of the Soviet Union... that blew my mind back then) who had just finished their exchange with a Christian family. I got to hang with a nice Texas family for part of the trip and remember being told the entire history of the Alamo. I remember a layover in San Antonio after midnight and shooting the shit with some other kids when a huge swarm of cicadas descended upon the station attracted to the lights. I remember smelly bathrooms and bus station vending machines and talkative bus drivers. I remember that in San Diego they no longer served the Arch Deluxe (my all time favorite burger) but in Arizona they still did (you could have sworn I had found the gold of the sierra madre when I found that out, I was so psyched!). If I wasn't convinced this country was awesome before then, I was afterwards... Would I do it again? Hell No! Airplanes are sexier, and the hot college girls don't ride anything cheaper than a train...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Greyhound story of self-discovery

Your story beats my story (not the drunk dude ready to stab; another one), where I was sitting next to a 400lb whitebread hillybilly who I think was a woman, but it may have just been a really fat guy with big tits. He/she was asking me what I was reading and I attempted to explain what Differential Equations and Matrix Methods was for about 10 minutes before a vein on his/her head looked like it was going to pop and an aneurysm would ensue. I just changed the subject to beer and American Gladiators and the safety of familiar ground seemed to fix the problem.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
I don't have any personal stories related to Greyhound travel as I've never ridden it but I have a gay male friend who insists that one particular route is a gay man's paradise. To prove his point, another guyfriend was riding the late night bus and as he was sleeping, he felt a tugging around his waist. The older guy sitting next to him was trying to unzip my friend's pants.