• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMHO, the US-1 owes more to the Martin seaplane legacy than to the Emily flying boat

avmars_7.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
IMHO, the US-1 owes more to the Martin seaplane legacy than to the Emily flying boat
Oh, I agree -- the design -- it was probably what they had to go with after we hammered all their plants into bonsai gardens --- I was thinking more of their "inclination" -- especially their Navy (their= "Jap Navy ", i.e., spell check suggestions: saps, naps, raps, taps, laps ... go figure) -- to use and appreciate the advantages of flying boats out over the vast expanses of the Pacific ....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, I agree -- the design -- it was probably what they had to go with after we hammered all their plants into bonsai gardens --- I was thinking more of their "inclination" -- especially their Navy (their= "Jap Navy ", i.e., spell check suggestions: saps, naps, raps, taps, laps ... go figure) -- to use and appreciate the advantages of flying boats out over the vast expanses of the Pacific ....

True, true and even their Rufes were a handful as they could be operating out of anywhere there was relatively calm water. none of our floatplanes could be considered a worthy adversary in ACM, but a Rufe was not to be trifled with even with those floats.

a6mn-i.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ But so was the tortise.

Not too hard to see the lineage in the Shin Meiwa's of the Kawanishi company ... Kawanishi H8K "Emily" in this case ... those ol' girls have been around since the days prior to WW2 ... the Nips always had a fondness for seaplanes and floats ... a relatively "cheap" way to utilize the vast expanses of the Pacific and it's lagoons .... they always were quite advanced with using air and the Pacific.

h8kemilyaw3.gif

Not sure if you were getting at it but ShinMaywa is the former Kawanishi company, it was renamed after WWII (I wonder why......). They had a big article on the company in Air & Space magazine 3-5 years back and on their persistence in building flying boats, when almost everyone else has abandoned it.

http://www.shinmaywa.co.jp/english/about/company_history.htm

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not sure if you were getting at it but ShinMaywa is the former Kawanishi company ....
Roger that ... got that ... wonder why they spelled it -- Shin Meiwa -- "Shin Maywa" in the article??? I guess that's what they company calls itself these days, but I've never seen that spelling ...

But then ... Mitsubishi is making a "comeback" ... hai ???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger that ... got that ... wonder why they spelled it -- Shin Meiwa -- "Shin Maywa" in the article??? I guess that's what they company calls itself these days, but I've never seen that spelling ...

But then ... Mitsubishi is making a "comeback" ... hai ???

Peking is Beijing, Bombay is Mumbai and but the duck and the liquor are still the same name........the more things change the more they stay the same.......;)

I figured you would have gotten that already...........;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well designed, but ill-concieved???
(continuing COD threadjack)
Well designed ... I guess so. Sure. At least the Rooskies wanted a piece of 'em at the end of the war ... which is largely why the USN scuttled 'em off Hawaii. Good thinking Uncle (?) ....

Overall, the -400's and some other seaplane capable boats represented an innovative design; and except for habitability, they were far more technologically advanced than submarines of the period from other navies.

But ill-conceived?? How do you figure?? They were certainly poorly employed and essentially became the IJN version of the German "milch cows" instead of fulfilling their original purpose .... as when conceived, killing the Panama Canal locks seemed like a great idea.
(/COD threadjack ... for now :))

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... which is largely why the USN scuttled 'em off Hawaii.

There was a special on TV about these a few months back. Can't remember the channel, but I caught the last 20-some minutes. Pretty interesting. Apparently they were sunk off Japan, not HI, and no one bothered to get an accurate posit (probably intentionally, due to the Russians, like you mentioned) so it took the researchers a while to find them. Once they did, the current was so strong (and the driving/language of the boat's captain very poor) that they ran out of time to do much, but they did find them and had video. Pretty neat.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....they were sunk off Japan, not HI....
ACTUALLY :))) .... while several captured IJN submarines were sunk off Nagasaki and off the Goto's in the East China Sea west of Kyushu ---- the I-400, 401 (pictured in Eddie's post -- and what we're talking about) , I-201, and 203 (the last two were of interest as they were significantly faster than any USN submarines of the day) were transpac'ed to Hawaii by USN crews and sunk by the USN when they were no longer "needed" ..... off Kalaeloa (Long Point) ... better known as Barber's Point. :)

A nice little story of I-400's saga ....
The TransPacific Voyage of I-400

(COD threadjack continues .... )

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
But ill-conceived?? How do you figure?? They were certainly poorly employed and essentially became the IJN version of the German "milch cows" instead of fulfilling their original purpose .... as when conceived, killing the Panama Canal locks seemed like a great idea.

I think that's the better version of what I wanted to say. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ACTUALLY :))) .... while several captured IJN submarines were sunk off Nagasaki and off the Goto's in the East China Sea west of Kyushu ---- the I-400, 401 (pictured in Eddie's post -- and what we're talking about) , I-201, and 203 (the last two were of interest as they were significantly faster than any USN submarines of the day) were transpac'ed to Hawaii by USN crews and sunk by the USN when they were no longer "needed" ..... off Kalaeloa (Long Point) ... better known as Barber's Point. :)

A nice little story of I-400's saga ....
The TransPacific Voyage of I-400

(COD threadjack continues .... )

Interesting, and that makes sense. Why in the hell would we give up that kind of technology? Subs? There's no subs. We sank them in Japan. <Shifty eyes>

Short of actually researching it, do you know how far off they are? Seems like that would be a dive site if it was shallow enough.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Interesting, and that makes sense. Why in the hell would we give up that kind of technology? Subs? There's no subs. We sank them in Japan. <Shifty eyes>

Short of actually researching it, do you know how far off they are? Seems like that would be a dive site if it was shallow enough.
Naaaaaa .... unfortunately, too deep.

Read it and weep .... I was in Honolulu when the "news" broke .... and remember it well, but couldn't remember "where" ... so I "researched" it for you .... :)

Honolulu Star-Bulletin article: UH Team Locates Huge Japanese Sub

art1d.jpg

U.S. NAVY PHOTO

Officers of the I-400 submarine gathered for one last portrait as Americans captured it and the I-401 at sea a week after the Japanese surrendered in 1945.​