• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Military Clause...Apt VS House...Places to rent

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
Has anyone tried living in Pace? By the map it looks to be an almost even-distance between the two, but how is driving down there?

We live in South Milton, close to Pace and the drive from here to NAS Pensacola is about an hour. 15 minutes to Whiting Field.

Pace would be closer to Pensacola, further from Whiting Field... maybe by 10 minutes, depending on where you are.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
We live in South Milton, close to Pace and the drive from here to NAS Pensacola is about an hour. 15 minutes to Whiting Field.

Pace would be closer to Pensacola, further from Whiting Field... maybe by 10 minutes, depending on where you are.

Emily nailed it.

etsgraham - Here is a quick lesson about the Milton/Pensacola area - equal distance never means equal time. The roads down there had to have been laid by some very 'special' people. To make things worse, a few hurricanes went and REALLY jacked everything up a few years ago. Getting to NAS Pcola, which is on the SW part of town, is always a real pain and takes a while no matter where you are coming from. I think I wrote something about this in another thread but if you guys know you will be heading to Whiting, Pace is nice.

Navyfan06

pilot
RG9 - were you married when you moved down to P-cola? If so, then you were in a different boat than the single studs like myself. My orders to P-cola were in fact Temp. Duty orders (ie No follow on orders), with my NAS Whiting orders being a PCS (or NAS CC if I had gone there for primary). If you were married, you were in a compleatly different boat. Then your orders to P-cola would have been PCS.

If you ask most single studs, they were alloted a 600 lb. move because API is a temp. duty station, where as after API they are entitled to the full PCS move. WHen I graduated college I packed my truck up and moved down to p-cola and was reimbursed for the 600 lb. Once I showed the travel office my PCS orders to Whiting, they packed up the rest of my shit (from my HOR) and moved it up to Whiting.

etsgraham

devil_dog: husband will be coming down to that area soon for IFS, API and then whatever follows that for pilot training... so I'm trying to put us in a spot for minimal driving but I've about given that up. Do guys tend to carpool at all to cut down on gas $$$?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
devil_dog: husband will be coming down to that area soon for IFS, API and then whatever follows that for pilot training... so I'm trying to put us in a spot for minimal driving but I've about given that up. Do guys tend to carpool at all to cut down on gas $$$?

You can carpool, especially during API when everyone is on the same schedule. Might become harder in primary - after ground school everyone is scheduled at different times and carpooling then would be hit and miss at best. Good luck.

Rg9

pilot
RG9 - were you married when you moved down to P-cola? If so, then you were in a different boat than the single studs like myself. My orders to P-cola were in fact Temp. Duty orders (ie No follow on orders), with my NAS Whiting orders being a PCS (or NAS CC if I had gone there for primary). If you were married, you were in a compleatly different boat. Then your orders to P-cola would have been PCS.

If you ask most single studs, they were alloted a 600 lb. move because API is a temp. duty station, where as after API they are entitled to the full PCS move. WHen I graduated college I packed my truck up and moved down to p-cola and was reimbursed for the 600 lb. Once I showed the travel office my PCS orders to Whiting, they packed up the rest of my shit (from my HOR) and moved it up to Whiting.
Yeah, I was married (got married enroute from my previous duty station... AFIT at WPAFB). I don't think that changes it, though. Yes, I did have follow on orders, but I think because you're Temp at P'Cola, and it's just an order mod, it doesn't fall under "receiving PCS orders after signing a lease."

I'm very happy to be wrong on this since it would help a lot of guys. Did you get completely new orders with DLA/Travel Claim/DITY-Gov Move benefits? If not, I don't think it falls under a PCS.

Navyfan06

pilot
Yeah, I was married (got married enroute from my previous duty station... AFIT at WPAFB). I don't think that changes it, though. Yes, I did have follow on orders, but I think because you're Temp at P'Cola, and it's just an order mod, it doesn't fall under "receiving PCS orders after signing a lease."

I'm very happy to be wrong on this since it would help a lot of guys. Did you get completely new orders with DLA/Travel Claim/DITY-Gov Move benefits? If not, I don't think it falls under a PCS.

Yes, I did get new orders that I received on API checkout. When I moved down for API I was only remimbursed for the 600 lbs of stuff where as when I was finishing up API I was now entitled to a full PCS move and took advantage of that to include DLA.

I think you are correct however from the married guys/gals/grad program students part, if your married with follow on orders, then the move to P-cola is a full out PCS move for them.

When I was in this situation a little less than a year ago I checked this out with the NASP JAG office and was explained the law and we figured out that it would apply in this situation because of the new order to NAS Whiting.

All in all though good gouge for everyone...hope it helps some

Rg9

pilot
Well I know at least one guy who tried to get his stuff moved for Whiting, but no-go, so it seems as if it's different between different studs. The crux is the whole "is it a PCS" issue. I'm sure anyone wanting to do this could go into PSD and ask about their specific ones.

Regardless, if anyone is signing a lease, make sure all intentions are stated up front and the SCRA-break-lease clause is clarified in advance, cause you are screwing someone out of money if they expected you to stay longer when you knew all along you wouldn't. I don't think someone can deny you residence because you think you might get orders by such-and-such a date.

What sqd are you in for Advanced, btw?