• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The MIF monster

Malice 1

pilot
The MIF monster is coming to get me. MIF gets higher in each block, and my grades are staying exactly the same.

How do you get a 5 in the Pud categories, like:
-in flight checks
-VFR scan (I call out everything in the sky)
-Ground ops
-Trim
-course rules
etc.....

The CTS in the back of the MPTS book are guidelines for getting a 4, right? Whats the magic touch for getting 5's on Pud items? One of my buddies has gotten a few 5's on puds.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I can't really help you being I haven't started instructing yet. My only comment might be that perhaps, by the judgement of your instructors, you haven't reached a 5, performance wise.

BTW, didn't I race you at Holt? I've got a red C6 Vette.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
There are some (read: many) categories that you just wont get 5s in. In flight checks and trim being great examples of just two. The others may or may not come as you get better. Luckilly there are plenty of other things with which to distinguish yourself. Don't get hung up on it... the grades will come.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Depends on the flight and to a much larger degree the instructor...

Probably your best shot at a 5 would be in flight checks...do enough that they tell you to stop...

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
How to get a 5 on ground ops in the summer....have the checklist memorized up to air conditioner. When I was in primary, the longer the IP sat in a closed cockpit with no A/C, the lower the ground ops grade.

Malice 1

pilot
I can't really help you being I haven't started instructing yet. My only comment might be that perhaps, by the judgement of your instructors, you haven't reached a 5, performance wise.

BTW, didn't I race you at Holt? I've got a red C6 Vette.

I'm not agueing that I'm not 5 material yet, I was just asking for some little tips and tricks to get me there. Everyone else: thanks for those little tips & tricks.

Yeah, it was me at holt. I'm gonna be out there alot more this year. THey are open EVERY Friday now. I can't remember what ET's you were running.

KSUFLY

pilot
I'm not agueing that I'm not 5 material yet, I was just asking for some little tips and tricks to get me there. Everyone else: thanks for those little tips & tricks.

Yeah, it was me at holt. I'm gonna be out there alot more this year. THey are open EVERY Friday now. I can't remember what ET's you were running.

Hey, the times I got 5s on trim was when on departure i'm flying hands off drinking water from my water bottle and looking around commenting on how nice of a day it is to go fly. That shows that you are trimmed out and relaxed in the plane. As for VFR scan...make sure you instructor can tell that you're looking OUTSIDE on your manuevers and not inside the aircraft. That helps get the 5. Some instructors just won't get fives. Don't kill yourself over it Malice!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Things that I give 5's on the most : General Knowledge, Emergency procedures, in-flight checks, VFR scan, ground ops, course rules, spin, ATS.

Hard to get 5's: FFL, NFL, Landing Patern, OLF ops, aerobatic maneuvers, headwork/SA.

I don't do forms yet.
Everything else falls somewhere in-between. If the SNA greatly exceeds what the book defines as a 4, then a 5 is in order. Generally start seeing them in 4104-4204 time frame, but sometimes not at all.
Nail the brief, know your EP's like you are reading them from the book, do crazy IGP's, the spin and ATS are usually money in the last block (lots of practice, fairly easy maneuvers).
There are those out there who don't give out 5's unless it is "IP quality". I personally have only seen a couple of students that can perform to that level, so I don't really hold them to that standard. To each their own, though, I am sure Gatordev has his own theories.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm kind of abstaining from the discussion, since I'm biased on Malice's performance. Just remember, it's not just 5's, it's how quickly you get to MIF and keep it there. Something Malice doesn't have much trouble w/.

Also, some of those MIF items go back down in Forms, which can help. Then you get to start all over in RIs.

Malice 1

pilot
I'm kind of abstaining from the discussion, since I'm biased on Malice's performance. Just remember, it's not just 5's, it's how quickly you get to MIF and keep it there. Something Malice doesn't have much trouble w/.

Also, some of those MIF items go back down in Forms, which can help. Then you get to start all over in RIs.

Ha, I didn't think you'd post in here. I already know your opinion on the subject.......

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think the IPs have touched on most of the routine things you can do to try and get close to picking up fives but it may be hard early on. My onwing at the time explained that some instructors don't like giving out 5's prior to the solo because they don't want you to show regression in certain skills. Say you rock the spin on your Fam 4 and score a five but screw it up on your Fam 5 and drop back to a three. TIMS sees you regressed and flags it. I'm not sure how true that is but that's what was explained at the time.

The only time I picked up fives in the fam stage were when I actually saved our asses. Delt with actual streaming fuel and got a 5 for EPs. Picked up a Cessna that was on a collision course with us while we were on course rules and got a 5 for VFR scan. Flew us back home after my IP had a sinus block during a HAPL and got a 5 for SA and course rules. The fives come a lot easier in forms and RIs but don't go in expecting them.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Just don't beat up to much on those C6's :eek: We ran almost neck and neck, you came out slightly ahead but I think you had some transmission issues. My runcraps keep me out of any sort of quick times without traction. My best has been 8.3@90.7 (2.2) as of late.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I got 2 5's on VFR scan: one was for coming on the controls to avoid a mid-air, and one was for calling out traffic while inverted. The high-low-level becomes a bit tougher though....

Heloanjin

pilot
My onwing at the time explained that some instructors don't like giving out 5's prior to the solo because they don't want you to show regression in certain skills. Say you rock the spin on your Fam 4 and score a five but screw it up on your Fam 5 and drop back to a three. TIMS sees you regressed and flags it. I'm not sure how true that is but that's what was explained at the time.

Unfortunately, your onwing does not understand MPTS very well.

Your best bet to perform above standards is to study your ass off on the ground so you have all the maneuvers, procedures, limits, etc down cold. You want to be able to drive, cook, play ping pong, whatever, and recite the procedures without hesitation, pause, stumble. If you can do that, when you go fly you will spend less time trying to remember the next step and more time thinking ahead of the aircraft

Personally, I didn't give 5's on IGP's, but I did give 2's. I didn't want my onwings trying to make up for poor procedural knowledge or whatever by just checking the gas every 2 minutes.