• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The MIF monster

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A friend of mine in API asked How important is the CO's recommendation in getting jets? Does it have any impact on your grades? Told him I'd post the question.

So I heard it from a friend who's got an uncle who's cousin works in stucon.....:icon_tong

Seriously, an IP I flew with a few days ago and I were talking about this. It's a combination of recommendations from IP's you fly with throughout primary which lead up to the Skipper's recommendation. The IP's can write you a recommendation (as a stud you'll never see it and probably won't even know they wrote one for you), and then the Skipper looks at all of them and puts it together if he deems you deserving.

Malice 1

pilot
So I heard it from a friend who's got an uncle who's cousin works in stucon.....:icon_tong

Seriously, an IP I flew with a few days ago and I were talking about this. It's a combination of recommendations from IP's you fly with throughout primary which lead up to the Skipper's recommendation. The IP's can write you a recommendation (as a stud you'll never see it and probably won't even know they wrote one for you), and then the Skipper looks at all of them and puts it together if he deems you deserving.

I suddenly get the feeling that my slow, deliberate, methodical flight procedures are about to come back and bite me in the ass.

USFpilot06

pilot
Ok heres my question: whats the deal with TIMMS? I heard its really hittin people NSS's pretty hard. Like 10-12 points!!! I wants helos... so I'm not terriably concerned however what if I am in the mid to upper 40s? Or even people that are in the low 40s? What will happen to them? I think they would otherwise select with no problems but are now faced with the threat of a review board and attrition. I mean are they taking this into consideration? If you had a 45 on the old system and now a 34 on TIMMS are they gonna make you do a review board? Or am I just getting a little too worried about this?

Malice 1

pilot
Ok heres my question: whats the deal with TIMMS? I heard its really hittin people NSS's pretty hard. Like 10-12 points!!! I wants helos... so I'm not terriably concerned however what if I am in the mid to upper 40s? Or even people that are in the low 40s? What will happen to them? I think they would otherwise select with no problems but are now faced with the threat of a review board and attrition. I mean are they taking this into consideration? If you had a 45 on the old system and now a 34 on TIMMS are they gonna make you do a review board? Or am I just getting a little too worried about this?

Oh, wow. That would suck. I'm just gonna sit back and have faith in the system.....and subsequently go insane if I feel cheated.

USFpilot06

pilot
Oh, wow. That would suck. I'm just gonna sit back and have faith in the system.....and subsequently go insane if I feel cheated.

Hey I have a ton of faith in the system IE the leadership and the people running it, they have not failed me yet; however, It was brought up to me today by SEVERAL people including recent selectees that the new grading system is severly lowering peoples NSS's. So I find that to be a bit of a concern.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
There is no "new grading system". TIMS is just a new way of tracking the same MPTS syllabus that we have been using. The NSS rumors are completely false. The old system (STASS) gave us a raw score that was compared to a NSS based on the squadron averages. TIMS does the same thing, just in a different way. All of your old flights and gradesheets are in the system. If you end up with a 34 NSS in TIMS, it would have been a 34 in STASS. The projected NSS usually drops a few points between midpoint and graduation anyway.
You can tell the recent selectees that are griping about it that the formula for NSS hasn't changed and won't in the near future.

USFpilot06

pilot
There is no "new grading system". TIMS is just a new way of tracking the same MPTS syllabus that we have been using. The NSS rumors are completely false. The old system (STASS) gave us a raw score that was compared to a NSS based on the squadron averages. TIMS does the same thing, just in a different way. All of your old flights and gradesheets are in the system. If you end up with a 34 NSS in TIMS, it would have been a 34 in STASS. The projected NSS usually drops a few points between midpoint and graduation anyway.
You can tell the recent selectees that are griping about it that the formula for NSS hasn't changed and won't in the near future.

LOL! Thanks I can sleep now. Thats all I wanted to know. Some people where saying it was killing their NSS, so I guess thats just their imagination or them trying to make themselves feel better.
Cool....

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hey I have a ton of faith in the system IE the leadership and the people running it, they have not failed me yet; however, It was brought up to me today by SEVERAL people including recent selectees that the new grading system is severly lowering peoples NSS's. So I find that to be a bit of a concern.

Lowering people's NSS from what???? Did they calculate it based on the above/below system and then??? You and whoever you are talking to should understand that you don't have an NSS until you are done and someone says..."This is your final NSS".

There are three fundamental truths I've discovered since I've been in primary...

1) Focus and fly as well as you can every time. This may not always be well...oh well...there is nothing else you can do.

2) Learn how to get along with people...even if the flight goes badly, you can leave people with a good impression of you...and how you take sucking...because it will happen again...soon.

3) Don't game the system. Tell them what you want to fly. Enjoy what you are flying. In the words of the Rolling Stones..."You can't always get what you want...you can try sometimes...but you might find...you get what you need. See rules 1 & 2.

KSUFLY

pilot
RetreadRand said:
Well one of the issues they had when I went through primary is that TIMS was counting people's warmup flights that caused HUGE problems
The other problem they had was instead of counting the grades from the first portion of an incomplete flight TIMS was counting the LOWEST of the grades So if you rocked T/O departure etc on the first flight and MIFFED it on your completion flight then the MIF would stand
So based on those two things your NSS could be several points lower than it should...BECAUSE of TIMS.....(or at least the adaptation of it)

However, if that's the case you would have fewer graded items which could help your overall NSS.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
RetreadRand said:
No it would not...since TIMS was counting warmup flights you would have more grades.....as far as the incomplete issue goes, the first time you do it is what should be counted so if you got a 5 for something and had to incomplete and then fly the next day and got a 2 the 2 would count...not the 5. Regardless of fewer graded items a 5 is still better than a 2

Thankfully, all of those problems since implementation in Corpus have been (mostly) ironed out. TIMS was just implemented at Whiting, and that is why the big deal about it. Go about your lives, citizens.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Malice 1 said:
XXX Motorsports
(850)457-DYNO

I dunno if they do MOPARS or not, but they do good tuning with LSx's.

I know them. I was there a few weeks ago for a leak down test. Viper engines are a pain and the tuning software is not really wide spread like it is for Hemi, Chevys and Fords. Plus there are a few other things I need to get done. I'm just waiting on some time to get it to Roe Racing in Jacksonville.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LOL! Thanks I can sleep now. Thats all I wanted to know. Some people where saying it was killing their NSS, so I guess thats just their imagination or them trying to make themselves feel better.
Cool....

This is the problem w/ everyone getting wrapped up about their NSS. It's not like we can push a button and get your NSS before you finish. It's totally a swag and it's going to go down. I've had studs tell me they actually thought we could log on and just see what their NSS was. It just doesn't work that way.

TMS2 sucks. Keep away from it as long as possible.

Yeah, do tell. From a grader's point of view, TIMS is going to be SOOOO much better. There were a lot of problems in Corpus when it was implemented, and apparently some of that was user error.