• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Man Who Rode the Thunder

C-Mike

All the great posts in the current thread "Scariest Day/Night Flying" got me thinking, and I wasn't able to find any answers via a quick AW search or google.
Has anyone surpassed LT.Col. William H. Rankin's record setting (at the time -1960) 40 -some minute descent after ejecting at 47,000ft within a thunderstorm?

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger holds the free fall record at 102,800 feet. He was in freefall for 4½ minutes and reached a maximum speed of 614 mph before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). He did it as part of Project Excelsior.

Kittinger volunteered for three combat tours in Vietnam, flying 483 missions. On May 11, 1972, he was shot down and spent 11 months in captivity as a prisoner of war. It was during this time, he said, that he dreamt of an around-the-world balloon flight.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger holds the free fall record at 102,800 feet. He was in freefall for 4½ minutes and reached a maximum speed of 614 mph before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). He did it as part of Project Excelsior.

That figure seems a bit high for a freefall - thin air or otherwise, not to mention what that would do to you in terms of flail injuries. Any engineers want to debunk that?

Brett

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
050316-F-1234P-021.jpg

Excelsior III Gondola
On Aug. 16, 1960, Col. Kittinger stepped from a balloon-supported gondola at the altitude of 102,800 feet. In freefall for 4.5 minutes at speeds up to 614 mph and temperatures as low as -94 degrees Fahrenheit, he opened his parachute at 18,000 feet. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
From: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=1856&page=3

As Project Excelsior did not have the resources to use high performance aircraft to test the new escape system, a balloon gondola was designed and built by the skilled staff at Wright Field to carry the pilot to the desired altitudes for the tests. The balloon held nearly 3 million cubic feet of helium to lift the open gondola high into the stratosphere. Capt. Kittinger made three high-altitude parachute jumps from the gondola using the Beaupre-designed parachute system. On Nov. 16, 1959, Capt. Kittinger made the first jump from Excelsior I at an altitude of 76,400 feet. During Excelsior II, the second test on Dec. 11, 1959, Capt. Kittinger jumped from an altitude of 74,700 feet. On the third and last jump in Excelsior III on Aug. 16, 1960, Capt. Kittinger jumped from a height of 102,800 feet, almost 20 miles above the earth. With only the small stabilizing chute deployed, Capt. Kittinger fell for 4 minutes, 36 seconds. He experienced temperatures as low as minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit and a maximum speed of 614 miles per hour, exceeding the speed of sound. The 28-foot main parachute did not open until Capt. Kittinger reached the much thicker atmosphere at 17,500 feet. He safely landed in the New Mexico desert after a 13 minute, 45 second descent. Project Excelsior successfully proved the new parachute system would solve the problem of high altitude escape by crewmen.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Terminal velocity is equal to the Square root(( 4*mass of object*force of gravity)/(denisty of air*cross-section area of object*drag coefficent)). It basically says that terminal velocity it indirectly proportional to air density, i.e. the air denisty at 100,000 ft is roughyl 100PA (or 10% what it is at sea level) so the terminal velocity will be much hight at 100,000ft than 20,000 ft

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm gonna use that excuse until I'm dead.

Brett

I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see a solar eclipse, like the one I went to last year in Hawaii, I think 'Oh no! Is the moon eating the sun?' I don't know. I'm a caveman; that's the way I think.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I recently saw a former F-15E pilot that holds the record for ejection speed speak for a confrence. Let's just say he got a little messed up when he ejected supersonic pointing at the ocean. Great guy overall and great story. I think his name was Brian Udell.